• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I have a friend and her lease states this. Is this legal?

Attachments

• firearm.jpg
      firearm.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 822

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'll wait for the definitive answer too, but it would seem legal to me. Just like they can exclude alcohol or tobacco products.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Legal under maryland law.

How would the landlord find out though? I recognize it is a little hard to store a large number, but even with a small guns safe...okay so you are storing documents and valuables in it. They can’t legally tell you to open it to prove there are no firearms in it. They can’t legally inspect the interior of the house/condo/whatever with no prior notice. Going out shooting/hunting, get a non-descript case or two to put them in.

Not like you can be thrown in prison for it. The worst that happens is you get evicted.

If I were renting I wouldn’t personally sign a lease stating that.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I would go with Common Areas = Premises . A home is a home. Can't take that away. Many leases have illegal language, No one questions it.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Legal under maryland law.

How would the landlord find out though? I recognize it is a little hard to store a large number, but even with a small guns safe...okay so you are storing documents and valuables in it. They can’t legally tell you to open it to prove there are no firearms in it. They can’t legally inspect the interior of the house/condo/whatever with no prior notice. Going out shooting/hunting, get a non-descript case or two to put them in.

Not like you can be thrown in prison for it. The worst that happens is you get evicted.

If I were renting I wouldn’t personally sign a lease stating that.
    This, absolutely.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    ughh, I'll be looking to rent a place in glen burnie within 2 months, I really hope I dont run to this stupid clause everywhere.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would go with Common Areas = Premises . A home is a home. Can't take that away. Many leases have illegal language, No one questions it.

Not illegal under MD Law unless I’ve missed something (I have rental properties and have had a real estate lawyer draw up leases. No, mine don’t have that language in it. Yes I questioned it specifically in drawing up a lease as the lawyer had it in there originally and I had them remove it).

Legally, premises includes the inside of the house/dwelling.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends. Is this public housing? If so, the legality is unlikely, but it will take a protracted lawsuit to fix it.

If its is 100% private property, perfectly legal. Rent somewhere else. I personally would not feel safe anywhere that did not allow me to protect myself. Worse, I would suspect that the burglars would know which homes were safe to invade.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ughh, I'll be looking to rent a place in glen burnie within 2 months, I really hope I dont run to this stupid clause everywhere.

Everywhere? No, but you might well see it. I’ve seen it in a number of “stock” leases. So be prepared to scan for the language. Never hurts to ask to have it removed. They can always say no. They can also say yes when you explain you do own a firearm for hunting and self defense purposes and you’d really like to still be considered as a renter as you have great references, good background check if they’d wish to perform one and haven’t had issues with late rent before. Or however you want to pretty it up.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Depends. Is this public housing? If so, the legality is unlikely, but it will take a protracted lawsuit to fix it.

If its is 100% private property, perfectly legal. Rent somewhere else. I personally would not feel safe anywhere that did not allow me to protect myself. Worse, I would suspect that the burglars would know which homes were safe to invade.

You might recall the NRA TV spot last year by the lady in public housing. Here's her inspiring story from Delaware, and applies there.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    legal, practically unenforceable, and does not remove all other legal tenant rights, but best to keep looking, can bet the jackwagon that came up that has other BS in the lease too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom