• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So, we are contemplating a move to Carroll County. Nicer house, bigger yard, etc. Most importantly, hoping for like minded people. I've been to the belly of the beast here in Howard County and it is ugly.

So, what is bad in Carroll County? School system? Although, the area we are looking at all three phases of schools are 9 out of 10. Government? Gun laws?

Give me a heads up before I commit to this in its entirety. That way, I at least have some idea of what to expect in Carroll County over the next 20 years.

Thought I was safe picking western Howard County over Potomac, Bethesda/Chevy Chase, Cabin John, etc., but it appears that I will really regret this decision in 10 years, if not less. Just slightly regretting it right now.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    owning a shop in Carroll county for the past year has been an eye opener for me. once you go west of 97 it's a totally different world. people are nicer less liberal. everyone knows everyone. small town feel. just better all the way around. coming from someone who hates Maryland this is saying a lot.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Been here 20 years. you might smell manure if the wind is right. You Will hear gunfire at any time of day.

Teacher retention is getting worse due to lack of pay but schools are still decent. Taxes have increased by 100% during my span here. There has been some recent influx of liberals from Baltimore and Howard but still mostly conservative to moderate. Walmart used to be good and is now a bit less so. Water is always a problem if rainfall is less. Traffic not too bad except 32 or 26 at the height of rush hour.

I still like it up here as opposed to monkey co.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    We live in SE Carroll in the Sykesville area. A bit more crowded, we actually have a "rush hour" in Elderburg. :rolleyes:

It was the best decision I ever made. If I had to be close to Columbia where I used to work, this was the place.

And think of the awesome gun range in your backyard! I live literally 10 minutes from it.....

Let me know, I would be happy to give you a tour. :D

Regarding schools, my kids attended Carrolltowne Elementary, Oklahoma Road Middle, and Liberty High. We have absolutely no complaints about any of them, save for the fact that they all have grass sports fields. Not BAD per se, but just not turf. Actually for field hockey it is an advantage against other teams.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Moved up here just south of Westminster in 1990. What a difference in how things are now, population, traffic, & building wise. I still love it, but wish I'd bought more northwest of here. I believe that's the place to go now in Carroll, the northwest corner near Harney.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Howard County lib's are slowly infiltrating the southern flank. Home prices are cheaper, public schools are top notch and property taxes are significantly lower than Howard.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've lived between Mount Airy and Taylorsville for almost 20 years. Unless you get a crappy neighbor, there's nothing bad about it. If I had it to do all over again, I would choose exactly the same. One piece of entertainment the past few years has been the state rain tax. Carroll gave the state a big FU by sending the state one penny each year for every county resident, pulled from the county's general fund without billing anybody. First thing you'll notice as a homeowner is that property tax in Carroll is much lower than Howard. Oh, and we're armed to the teeth, even left-leaning folk.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    So, we are contemplating a move to Carroll County. Nicer house, bigger yard, etc. Most importantly, hoping for like minded people. I've been to the belly of the beast here in Howard County and it is ugly.
    Give me a heads up before I commit to this in its entirety. That way, I at least have some idea of what to expect in Carroll County over the next 20 years.

Sir, I am probably your closest neighbor. I'm going to be right behind you with moving. We are going a tad bit farther, PA. My daughter lives in Carroll county, just west of Eldersburg. She loves the area and the schools. You can't go wrong by going farther West. Especially by upgrading with the house and yard.
    Good luck with your new place.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you have young children Carroll county is in the process of "right sizing" the school system, so expect a lot of political silliness for the next few years while they reduce the number of schools. The housing boom 15 years ago necessitated more schools, but now the system is running at less than 80% capacity. Several elementary schools are on the chopping block.

Mount Airy is in the process of replacing its "Resident Troopers" with a town Police force like Westminster, Eldersburg, and Sykesville. The rest of the county is patrolled by a combination of the Sheriff's department and the State Police.

We are in the southern part of the county and I would describe most of my neighbors politically as Center-Right or old school conservative Democrats (the kind that don't really exist anymore). I would describe where we live as in between everything and close to nothing and would expect significant growth in the next ten years with developments that I know have already been approved.

The "Rain Tax" FU to the state is kind of humorous as is the bill they passed that essentially doesn't allow county $$$ to be used to enforce the FSA2013.

A few months ago one of the Montgomery County transplants asked on our neighborhoods Facebook page "what all the shooting was about on the neighboring farm". The responses were "It's nice out and it's Saturday".

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.

So, what is bad in Carroll County? School system? Although, the area we are looking at all three phases of schools are 9 out of 10. Government? Gun laws?

It really is sad to see the direction HoCo has been heading in the last 10 years, even out here in the so called "rural west" if my situation and location were not what they were here I can promise you I would be the hell out of not only the county but this state faster than you could blink. The Carroll County land preservation program is starting to gain strength. Do your research and see if this may be a consideration in the type of properties you would be interested in.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Lived in Eldersburg for a number of years and the only issue was the traffic. If you are traveling south RT. 32 is a nightmare and I-70 isn't much better. Other than that, it was heaven. Hap Baker is in Westminster and Eldersburg has its own Trap range (Carroll County Gun Club).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Mount Airy is in the process of replacing its "Resident Troopers" with a town Police force like Westminster, Eldersburg, and Sykesville. The rest of the county is patrolled by a combination of the Sheriff's department and the State Police.

Good point. Avoid the town proper if you can. The local PD situation is turning into a world-class cluster eff, running way over budget before it begins with growing cries of corruption from town residents. Related lawsuits and investigations are pretty much guaranteed.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    We have been in Carroll County since 1979, we are located north of Taylorville. You can hear gun fire any day but Sunday seems to be the preferred practice day in my area. The wonderful sound of gun fire can be heard all day. Good people, good schools, good life we don't have a single regret.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I grew up in and worked for Howard. We have lived in Carroll for 23 years. I live on a private lane and have a 50 and 100 yard range set up. Nobody bothers me, ever. The people around me are nice and mind their own business. I shoot when I want, launch giant fireworks on the forth and nobody cares. Traffic is here but I'm retired so who cares. They still have farms all around me. Its nice.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I am in Frederick county at the Carroll county line. I preferred the Frederick school system and taxes more then Carroll. But that was 20yrs ago. Now both are decent and much better then Howard or Mont

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    U

Thought I was safe picking western Howard County over Potomac, Bethesda/Chevy Chase, Cabin John, etc., but it appears that I will really regret this decision in 10 years, if not less. Just slightly regretting it right now.

Some great advise all ready from folks.
    Some things to consider before you move and too what area of CC?
    Where is work(you don't have to answer) if you would travel, Route 97,140,32 and normal rush hours it will be a mess. Add 30 to 45 mins!
    I have lived her since 92 and have seen the growth and growing pains of CC.
    I lived in Westminster for 22 years and moved into Northern Carroll, I like Taneytown, Harney and everything in Carroll across the PA line. However the commute times can be rough.
    But the people that live here for the most part moved here because of the crap from other counties.
    Google luck with the move. Any place in Carroll County will be heaven compared to Howard. IMHO!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    U

Some great advise all ready from folks.
    Some things to consider before you move and too what area of CC?
    Where is work(you don't have to answer) if you would travel, Route 97,140,32 and normal rush hours it will be a mess. Add 30 to 45 mins!
    I have lived her since 92 and have seen the growth and growing pains of CC.
    I lived in Westminster for 22 years and moved into Northern Carroll, I like Taneytown, Harney and everything in Carroll across the PA line. However the commute times can be rough.
    But the people that live here for the most part moved here because of the crap from other counties.
    Google luck with the move. Any place in Carroll County will be heaven compared to Howard. IMHO!

My commute right now is 30 seconds, maybe a minute. I walk from my bedroom to the kitchen for a cup of coffee and then head to the office/family room. My wife works in Eldersburg four days a week. Sometimes, I drive to see clients in Montgomery, Howard, Frederick, Washington, Howard, Carroll, and Anne Arundel County. I have one client in Charles County, but that is a weekend drive unless I have to be in court. So, commuting really isn't too much of an issue for us. Only commute I worry about is my parents coming to see us from the Colesville/Silver Spring area.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I have worked in Carroll County for more than 10 years, finally making the move to the county this year.

The worst thing I have found is the lack of food/restaurant diversity compared to Baltimore & Howard County.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom