• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harris

Jul 20, 2014
    Folks,

While coming home from the grocery store, I observed a car moving slowly through my neighborhood the moment they realized I was behind them they accelerated and turned into a side street. I followed them and found them parked in front of a house taking notes - when they saw me again they took off...the license plated seemed like a police license plate with a police badge on the left side and the initials FPD - Howard county police could not trace the plate for some reason...any ideas what FPD stands for???? thank you.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That's a MD Fraternal Order of Police tag

Federal-Police-Offset.gif

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    That's an FOP tag. Means the car is registered to a cop or immediate relative of one. It's a personal vehicle, not a police car. If I had to guess he was doing some sort of private investigating work; either a background check, fraud surveillance, or something like that. Not uncommon for cops to do that work on the side or after they retire.

Harris

Jul 20, 2014
    Thank you, very strange that Howard county police was telling me that the license plate number "was not coming up' I am sure that I gave them all the info correctly

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd also remove the info you just posted.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If those are you numbers you gave you are missing at least one number.

The police shouldn't and can't just run a tag and give you that persons information anyway. "It isn't coming back" could have been a nice way of saying that. But you are missing a number either way.

Mr H

Banana'd
    That's an FOP tag. Means the car is registered to a cop or immediate relative of one. It's a personal vehicle, not a police car. If I had to guess he was doing some sort of private investigating work; either a background check, fraud surveillance, or something like that. Not uncommon for cops to do that work on the side or after they retire.

This was my thought as well.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Or stalking a girlfriend. You forgot that.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I was wondering what they were about too a while back.

I was talking to a mutual friend who's a peace officer about it and he said they are usually rolling billboards of vehicle infractions. I thought WTF?

He said he recently stopped an FOP tagged vehicle with "thin blue line" stickers on the super dark tinted windows and told the operator they need to attract less attention and stop rubbing it in the face of others.

He said the guy didn't listen so when he saw the same car the next week he handed out a repair order for the tint.:lol2:

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Just today I saw a black SUV speed, weave through traffic, and cut multiple people off.

The Md license plate said 'Senate X' where X is a single digit number.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Some police officers I know have these tags and come up not listed for their protection. So no one can get their address info except other LEO.

Seems to me that a normal set of license plates would easily eliminate that whole scenario...If they're worried about their own protection, why advertise their profession? :shrug:

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Just today I saw a black SUV speed, weave through traffic, and cut multiple people off.

The Md license plate said 'Senate X' where X is a single digit number.

The X represents their legislative district in the general assembly. That really narrows down who it could be as each district has but ONE senator

Might be time for a letter to their office

---
    Shamr0ck

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    any ideas what FPD stands for???? thank you.

The FPD doesn't stand for anything....it's the next series of letters representing FOP tags. The 1st run of these tags had FOP, then they went to FP, if memory serves. Once they reach 9999 on each tag series another letter combination is assigned. I believe the newest is MSL. When that tag series reaches 9999 another letter series will be assigned.

Howard county police could not trace the plate for some reason...

That's interesting. My FPD tags come back to my street address. Could have been that NCIC/MILES was down. He couldn't have related to you who that vehicle belonged to anyway.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Some police officers I know have these tags and come up not listed for their protection. So no one can get their address info except other LEO.

Seems to me that a normal set of license plates would easily eliminate that whole scenario...If they're worried about their own protection, why advertise their profession? :shrug:

The FPD doesn't stand for anything....it's the next series of letters representing FOP tags. The 1st run of these tags had FOP, then they went to FP, if memory serves. Once they reach 9999 on each tag series another letter combination is assigned. I believe the newest is MSL. When that tag series reaches 9999 another letter series will be assigned.

That's interesting. My FPD tags come back to my street address. Could have been that NCIC/MILES was down. He couldn't have related to you who that vehicle belonged to anyway.

Thats because he is wrong. They still come back in NCIC to the registered address they aren't hidden for protection. Thats silly.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    Thats because he is wrong. They still come back in NCIC to the registered address they aren't hidden for protection. Thats silly.

Some states out west do have a mechanism in place where the registration of LEO's will come back to the station or HQ element for that reason.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Some states out west do have a mechanism in place where the registration of LEO's will come back to the station or HQ element for that reason.

Why? So that someone can find out that they are in fact a LEO? Silly.

False registrations and licenses for undercover work happen. Many would use their childhood address so that they have an easy time remembering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom