• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Remember to double tap Zombies in the head. LMAO!
    Rule #2! ;)

As to which gun to take when bugging out, most people are going to take the gun(s) with the most commonly used ammo—.22LR, 9mm, 5.56/.223—partly because those are the most commonly sold guns, and partly because they think it'll be easier to find ammo for them later. But if you think about it, how much ammo can you carry without mechanical assistance? Even less common rounds are likely to be stocked in easy to carry quantities. If you find a gun shop that has (or more likely had) ammo, the .22LR, 9mm and .223 stocks are likely to have been picked over. What are people more likely to carry off—.22LR or .17HMR? If you have a .22 gun you're probably SOL. If you have a .17HMR gun you may be luckier and find whatever .17HMR the shop had in stock.

Still, as mentioned several times earlier, bugging out is only for people who have nothing or no one else to stay home for.

Bigtex

Sep 11, 2018
    Laurel, Md.
    Depends, first I’m bugging in. Let the lunacy sort itself out and simmer down a bit. Let less prepared folk become fatigued, hungry, and desperate. Then when i bug out I’m taking my Frankenrifle AR-15 and my 22 lever action. Easy to find Ammo for both. Relatively lightweight. 1 for combative defense & 1 for survival. Both undeniably reliable. That’s my plan.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Rule #2! ;)

As to which gun to take when bugging out, most people are going to take the gun(s) with the most commonly used ammo—.22LR, 9mm, 5.56/.223—partly because those are the most commonly sold guns, and partly because they think it'll be easier to find ammo for them later. But if you think about it, how much ammo can you carry without mechanical assistance? Even less common rounds are likely to be stocked in easy to carry quantities. If you find a gun shop that has (or more likely had) ammo, the .22LR, 9mm and .223 stocks are likely to have been picked over. What are people more likely to carry off—.22LR or .17HMR? If you have a .22 gun you're probably SOL. If you have a .17HMR gun you may be luckier and find whatever .17HMR the shop had in stock.

Still, as mentioned several times earlier, bugging out is only for people who have nothing or no one else to stay home for.

Well if it's a disease or zombies, or even something more likely like a natural disaster, theres more likelyhood of formerly and or currently like minded individuals... Or friendlys who'd be willing to share to keep trouble off. Of course, theres always bad guys that would try (key word) to take whatever you have...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    In my mind nothing beats a 3-gun AR that you regularly shoot and compete with. Designed to engage targets from 10 feet to 600 yards without changing anything on the rifle already, handles any size magazine you use in competition no matter how big, a faster trigger than any mil-spec AR, and the most important thing is it feels like it belongs in your hands.
    Nothing worse than trying to defend you and yours with something you hardly ever shoot.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    AR. Readily available ammo. Interchangeable parts. Good for mid-sized game, and predators.

This!

Just what I was thinking. In a true SHTF full on social upheaval scenario, logistics is as big an issue as anything, bigger really.

Lightweight per round ammo = easy to carry more of.

Widespread popularity + universal parts = much better luck scavenging parts as the need arises.

Though I'd also grab a sidearm too, just because for the light weight, its no real hassle for the extra benefit.

Bonus thought:

While I'd obviously have a good set of BUIS, the fact that my red dot can run on solar is sounding like a pretty neat feature in this scenario.

Chris.S

Jun 24, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    If I could only chose one it would be my Winchester 59 .22 rifle. Dead accurate and minimal moving parts makes it ideal in my opinion. Best gun I own.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I keep my 10-22, AR-15 and an H&R .20ga in a carry bag with ammo for all 3 in a can next to it in my gun closet. Grab and Go!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190628_000651[1].jpg
      thumbnail_20190628_000651[1].jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 338

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I could see if in a rural setting grabbing a .22 and heading for the hills might buy you some time. IMO your bigger threat in Md would be panic stricken people. Defense trumps food procurement, so in my present location I like 5.56, besides there are easier ways to get food than shooting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom