Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 5th, 2019, 08:01 PM #51
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Thank you. I will keep this in mind for next time.
i just thought nitride would clean easier just like chrome was all the rage 15 or 20 years ago. Live and learn.
Old June 5th, 2019, 08:33 PM #52
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-43 View Post
Thank you. I will keep this in mind for next time.
i just thought nitride would clean easier just like chrome was all the rage 15 or 20 years ago. Live and learn.

The issue is really not the finish, its the QA. With all the gun grabbers calling for ban this and confiscate that etc. There are a lot of "suppliers" bringing things to market without doing their homework or trusting their distributors and that make these parts. Whether it be NiB, TiN, Nitride, chrome, or phosphate finished there is a lot of buyer horror stories. Then you have manufacturers making dubious cases like run our BCG with coating X and never lube your gun.

Do Not know your age but think Tuner Car world circa 1990-2000 the parts were expensive and then companies came out of the woodwork making this and claiming that and racing to the lowest price with no attention to detail. Parts were ill fitting, structurally unsound, or in some cases just complete junk.

right now we are in that spot in the gun community. Between Chinese junk at gun shows and on some websites to just some reputable manufacturers cutting corners to keep up with demand, to some people that just do not know.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 08:35 PM #53
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
I was in the army, and while like society there are average and above average and below average. Standard military tries to keep things floating between average and above average. If the rifles I was issued as an MP were any indication many of those were in the most part peasant guns. If you pulled the trigger they went bang and they would hit a target and if you concentrated and laid off coffee 24 hrs before you could get a serviceable grouping. The one kept in my patrol Hummer had so much battle rattle that when we walked with them we sounded like an old school janitor coming down the hall with a keyring of 20 keys.
The Armorer's job is to keep it safe and functional, not make a target rifle. The requirement is pretty low for accuracy anyway.
Yeah, I had one of those rattle traps in the Marine Corps. Still qualified Expert with it. Sweet Winchester barrel. But it wouldn't have put anyone in the top 99% at Camp Perry in XTC.
Old June 5th, 2019, 09:06 PM #54
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
The issue is really not the finish, its the QA. With all the gun grabbers calling for ban this and confiscate that etc. There are a lot of "suppliers" bringing things to market without doing their homework or trusting their distributors and that make these parts. Whether it be NiB, TiN, Nitride, chrome, or phosphate finished there is a lot of buyer horror stories. Then you have manufacturers making dubious cases like run our BCG with coating X and never lube your gun....
Right. That is why I purchased a Toolworks BCG with the Toolworks reputation, guarantee, and warranty. I wasn't aware they didn't make their own bolts, just the carrier. So I never considered their bolt or QA could be an issue.
Though I am pre-tuner by age, I do know what you mean by everyone and his cousin jumping into every market selling low quality stuff. And it's not just with bargain priced merchandise. Buyer beware, it's everywhere.

Great thing about MDS is I can learn from others.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:47 AM #55

Ok, I was wr...I was wro.....I..was...wron...WRONG!

My apologies for giving bad information(to Motorcoach Doug and anyone else who was mislead by my recommendation) for the Toolcraft Nitrite BCG(https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...v=7516fd43adaa). I failed to do my homework. Not so much because the carrier has a nitrite finish, but because that carrier is lacking a chrome lined bolt receiver and chrome lined gas key. Those are biggies and I missed them.

On the bright side, anyone who owns TC BCGs is covered by their lifetime warranty. There is no mistaking there commitment to quality however and I, as a consumer, stand by there products.

I recently purchased one of their magnesium phosphate BCGs(https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...v=7516fd43adaa) and the requisite chrome linings and proper hardware.

I also bought one of the AO Precision BCGs. There seems to be little difference between the two(https://www.righttobear.com/AO-Preci...16-hpt-mpi.htm). I'll leave others to judge.

Again, my apologies.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 12:52 PM #56
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post

My apologies for giving bad information(to Motorcoach Doug and anyone else who was mislead by my recommendation) for the Toolcraft Nitrite BCG(https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...v=7516fd43adaa). I failed to do my homework. Not so much because the carrier has a nitrite finish, but because that carrier is lacking a chrome lined bolt receiver and chrome lined gas key. Those are biggies and I missed them.

On the bright side, anyone who owns TC BCGs is covered by their lifetime warranty. There is no mistaking there commitment to quality however and I, as a consumer, stand by there products.

I recently purchased one of their magnesium phosphate BCGs(https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...v=7516fd43adaa) and the requisite chrome linings and proper hardware.

I also bought one of the AO Precision BCGs. There seems to be little difference between the two(https://www.righttobear.com/AO-Preci...16-hpt-mpi.htm). I'll leave others to judge.

Again, my apologies.
That clown avatar must make it tough to admit when you are wrong....
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 01:19 PM #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post

Again, my apologies.
You are a stand up person IMHO

I saw the spec sheet Clandestine was keeping on BCG's he was working on. His arguments come from pure evidence. If I were a manufacturer I'd love to get my hands on that data and use it in my marketing. Though, if I know Clandestine, he's planting seeds and it will pay dividends
omegared24 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles