MIDLENGTH Gas System

Includes
    16" 1x9 twist, Heavy profile
    Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
    Flat Top Upper with White T-Marks & M4 Feed Ramps
    HPT/MPI tested Bolt and Carrier assembly
    Charging Handle
    MIDLENGTH Handguards
    ***This upper is assembled, head spaced, and test fired.
    $220 shipped is a pretty good deal for an upper. Thanks, bkuether!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Always on sale but that's not an excuse not to stock up. I finally put a few of mine together.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I like that DelTon headspaces the rifles ahead of time. Providing you use their BCG, I feel you are GTG. Now how they assemble it, I cannot speak to in general, only in my experience.

I have two of their uppers and have had no issue.

Clandestine says he likes the components, but not always assembled to spec.

YMMV.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I like that DelTon headspaces the rifles ahead of time. Providing you use their BCG, I feel you are GTG. Now how they assemble it, I cannot speak to in general, only in my experience.

I have two of their uppers and have had no issue.

Clandestine says he likes the components, but not always assembled to spec.

YMMV.
    Good info, thanks. It might be my first rifle to play with some new tools after taking the SOTAR armorer class.

But right now I’m having trouble getting their web cart system to work...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is good to read. I have been wondering about the Del-Ton barrels. Been thinking about getting a couple of them, but have always been worried about performance. From what I read here, it appears that they perform rather well.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I’m hoping that these are the HBAR-compliant answer for those of us who may (for whatever reason) want to build a budget AR15 but can’t take advantage of the ridiculously low prices coming out of PSA these days.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I stand corrected that's the first time I have seen them allow choice. Trying not to buy the dissapator. I put a couple Delton rigs together last week.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Finally managed to place an order.

Their cart system was very frustrating. It let me put in separate billing and shipping addresses, but then not ship to a shipping address other than my billing address, which it wouldn’t let me change! Had to manually re-enter everything.

Website says the mid-length HBAR upper I ordered is “In Stock”, but also “Usually Ships in 3 Weeks“ :confused:

We’ll see when it gets here!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Finally managed to place an order.

Their cart system was very frustrating. It let me put in separate billing and shipping addresses, but then not ship to a shipping address other than my billing address, which it wouldn’t let me change! Had to manually re-enter everything.

Website says the mid-length HBAR upper I ordered is “In Stock”, but also “Usually Ships in 3 Weeks“ :confused:

We’ll see when it gets here!

The Dissy was sold out when I got to it. Next time. Delton always does this with their specials accumulate orders and build. That's just part of it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Lots of options on rifle kits.

All 16" Rifle Kits on Sale!
    Use Code RKT151 during Checkout to receive $151 off

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have one of the Delton Rifles and no complaint's yet. When i brought it from an IP here i got the Delton with the M-Lok magpul stock,handguard and pistol grip everything for $515 out the door. yep no complaints.

I keep looking at the Dissapator kit. One of these days Ill crack and buy it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    HBAR Dissipator is gonna be HEAVY though... lots of weight forward. I’m still waiting on my midlength upper to ship and hoping it’s not unbalanced.

That's one reason HBARs drive me crazy. Wish it was a light, I still have enough pre-FSA lowers to juggle.

Their 16" HBARs are not too bad.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    That's one reason HBARs drive me crazy. Wish it was a light, I still have enough pre-FSA lowers to juggle.

Their 16" HBARs are not too bad.

I wouldn’t mind having a Dissy with mid-length gas and lightweight contour, but I don’t know that I want to tie up a pre-2013 lower to do it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldn’t mind having a Dissy with mid-length gas and lightweight contour, but I don’t know that I want to tie up a pre-2013 lower to do it.

Can always pop it off and swap uppers, ARs are good for that.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Saw this deal two weeks ago when it was posted and ordered a midlength HBAR barrel assembly, aka complete upreceiver per asembly. Order place May 5th, shipped May 14th, arrived May 17th.

I’d been looking to build a basic no-frills rifle to go on either an 80% or cheap lower with a basic LPK and stock. Zero with M193, check drop/comeups with M855, and then stash/store at a location other than my primary dwelling. A PSA rifle kit build would be perfect for this in like 40 other states, but here the options are HBARs or pistols. The latter will likely be my next stash gun, but the HBAR has the advantage that it can be transferred more easily.

Here are the specs as Del-Ton advertises them:
    This barrel assembly has a 16" barrel with Mid-Length Heavy profile, 1x9 twist, Mid-Length handguards with single heat shields, and A2 Flash Hider.

Barrel: (Specs will change depending on option that is choosen)
    Chrome Moly Vanadium
    M4 Feed Ramps
    16" Length
    1x9 Twist
    A2 Flash Hider
    Manganese Phosphated
    Phosphated under Front Sight Base
    Taper Pins on A2 Front Sight Base
    Threaded Muzzle
    Mid-Length Heavy Profile

Chamber:
    5.56 X 45mm

Bolt And Carrier:
    Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
    Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI Tested
    Heat Treated and Plated
    Mil-Spec
    Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
    Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
    Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key

Handguards:
    Mid Length
    Aluminum Delta Ring
    Single Heat Shield

Upper Receiver:
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
    A3 Flat Top With M4 Feed Ramps
    Hard Coat Anodized
    Mil-Spec
    Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
    Right Hand Ejection
    Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface

This evening I did a quick field strip and cursory inspection. Some observations:
    • Barrel tapers quickly just past the chamber and then stays “heavy” until the FSB shoulder
    • Barrel is marked (engraved) DTI 1x9 5.56 Nato
    • 5.56mm chamber checker drops free very easily
    • FSB, barrel and pins were definitely all parked before assembly
    • Bolt is marked DT HPT/MPI
    • Bolt carrier is chrome-lined, AR15 semi-auto style
    • Gas key is chrome-lined, attached with YFS screws
    • Staking job is ok, both sides are different, and I’ll probably re-do it snce I have a 13-year-old MOACKS that doesn’t get enough use
    • Handguard cap is triangular. I will likely swap it out for a round one in case I want to use Magpul MOE SL handguards in the future
    • Handguards are medium thickness, not quite M4, not quite CAR, maybe slightly thicker than A2.
    • A2 flash hider is properly timed with a crush washer
    • Upper is marked M4 above the gas tube, has M4 feed ramp cuts, and white-filled index numbering on the rail

Based solely on what I see out of the box, I’m pretty happy for $220 shipped to my door. I haven’t found a budget option for HBAR uppers/barrels besides Del-Ton. I’d rather have an M16 carrier, so if I order again I'll check the savings for deleting the BCG/CH. There are PSA BCGs for $50 regularly, and Toolcraft and AO Precision for $70 when you look.

Rest of the build will come from my parts boxes, and some lower kits I’ve gotten from PSA. Rear sight will be a take-off MBUS or cut-down carry handle. Maybe a SIG Romeo5.

If you’ve listed after the idea of building a cheap rifle with a PSA Daily Deals Kit, this may be your midlength HBAR alternative.

Last edited:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Based solely on what I see out of the box, I’m pretty happy for $220 shipped to my door. I haven’t found a budget option for HBAR uppers/barrels besides Del-Ton. I’d rather have an M16 carrier, so if I order again I'll check the savings for deleting the BCG/CH. There are PSA BCGs for $50 regularly, and Toolcraft and AO Precision for $70 when you look.

Rest of the build will come from my parts boxes, and some lower kits I’ve gotten from PSA. Rear sight will be a take-off MBUS or cut-down carry handle. Maybe a SIG Romeo5.

Cannot wait to see what you come up with! Pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom