Glock shooters - Override or accidentally engage slide lock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    I shoot a high grip, and my support side thumb was putting a slight upward pressure on the slide stop causing unintentional slide locks while there were still rounds in the mag. Another common issue, which I didn't experience as often, is slide stop override where that same thumb position prevents the slide from locking back on an empty mag. Both of these conditions are annoying.

If you are experiencing either of them... you might try the kagwerks raised and extended slide release. It's expensive for what it is...but it's a problem solver.

Here's the video that shows how my grip is on the gun, and some range footage after installing the new slide release.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Treat each episode as a malfunction drill if you cannot task your thumb lower. Another Glock add on is no replacement for training.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Can't say I have this problem, and I use a very high grip on my Glock with an extended thumb safety. This is just me, but I do wonder if you could get an even higher grip to help mitigate.

That said... if it works reliably and fixes your problem, it's probably worth considering.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    Treat each episode as a malfunction drill if you cannot task your thumb lower. Another Glock add on is no replacement for training.

Sure... I get lots of malfunction clearance training when it keeps locking back. If training is the goal of shooting, have at it. Shooting is the goal of shooting for me... so I'd rather build a system that works right for me rather than clearance drill my way around the problem. Then my clearances are reserved for actual gun malfunctions. :-)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sure... I get lots of malfunction clearance training when it keeps locking back. If training is the goal of shooting, have at it. Shooting is the goal of shooting for me... so I'd rather build a system that works right for me rather than clearance drill my way around the problem. Then my clearances are reserved for actual gun malfunctions. :-)
    It's your shoot, shoot it the way you do. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    :-)

Never been an issue on my 1911...but how my hand fits the Glock intersects right where they put that little button! I hear it's a common issue, prob more for folks that shoot across platforms.
    I went a whole career having this issue with my issue 229. We couldn't modify then in any way, so it just became part of my shooting ritual. It's been a blessing in disguise actually.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    I went a whole career having this issue with my issue 229. We couldn't modify then in any way, so it just became part of my shooting ritual. It's been a blessing in disguise actually.

I was fortunate (I suppose) that we carried our own guns. The only non-officer-owned guns were the shotguns in the cars or when I was SWAT, the specialty go-fast guns. :) We had some policy boundaries, but were not prevented from modifications since we owned them.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My support thumb sits forward of the slide stop? High enough to touch the slide! Both thumbs do I believe. I don’t have large hands.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    i use a high, thumbs forward grip, and i have and extended slide release. My rear thumb rests on top of the slide release, I've never had a slide release related malfunction

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    I shoot a high grip, and my support side thumb was putting a slight upward pressure on the slide stop causing unintentional slide locks while there were still rounds in the mag. Another common issue, which I didn't experience as often, is slide stop override where that same thumb position prevents the slide from locking back on an empty mag. Both of these conditions are annoying.

If you are experiencing either of them... you might try the kagwerks raised and extended slide release. It's expensive for what it is...but it's a problem solver.

Here's the video that shows how my grip is on the gun, and some range footage after installing the new slide release.

Interesting. I have that problem with my glock 42 but not my 19 or 34. I would probably buy it if the price was a little lower and it fit the 42.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Funny thing is that GLOCKs have a really low profile slide stop, you almost have to pull your thumb in against the frame to hit the stop inadvertently, would probably be dragging the slide as it fires, which in itself can cause issues. I do get where a slide stop or safety can get in the way, have a couple pistols that I had to adjust my grip, or mod the pistol, (the precise reason I swapped my USP 45 to LEM), but GLOCKs are about the last pistol I can see that problem with. In either case, I would be more worried about the giant metal flag catching something, or causing a malfunction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom