• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    My first was a S&W m&p sport. I had it for a fee years, exchanging parts and rebuilding it.

What I found is I like the novelty of finding parts and seeing what matches best and the type of performance I can get out of it, so I’m a big supporter of building your own. My most recent was an LWRC IC DI, but it was perfect for me so I didn’t feel the need to change anything.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    My first was a S&W m&p sport. I had it for a fee years, exchanging parts and rebuilding it.

What I found is I like the novelty of finding parts and seeing what matches best and the type of performance I can get out of it, so I’m a big supporter of building your own. My most recent was an LWRC IC DI, but it was perfect for me so I didn’t feel the need to change anything.

At that price point I would hope you wouldn't need to change anything on a LWRC lol

tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    I built an AR47 (7.62 x 39) for under $500. I machined a Polymer80 80% lower, installed a POA trigger, a PSA complete upper. I get very good accuracy even with Wolf ammo. The machining wasn't difficult, took less than an hour. YouTube has many videos on machining 80% lowers and installing lower parts.
    I got 10 round mags from North River.
    I would include a photo of a 10 round 100 yd group but the file size is too large.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    At this rate, just buy one off the shelf. Save yourself the research now, so you can take your time and ask questions later, on how to build one and how to stay legal.

Complete rifle brands:
    Colt - Gold standard to which all others are judged
    Winham Weaponry - good stuff
    Ruger - good stuff
    Daniel Defense - good stuff, last I heard they still held a CAGE code
    LWRCI - good stuff
    LMT - good stuff
    Saber Defence - good luck finding one, but if you do, pick it up
    Rock River Arms - good stuff
    Smith & Wesson - good stuff

Pick one and buy that sucker. Join the AR DGI club. It's like the He Man Woman Hater's Club from the Little Rascals, but we allow women, as long as they promise they own at least one AR.

Good advice.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    Picked up the MAIN piece to the puzzle today. Heavy barrel manufactured by Faxon for Engagement Armament (per their specs). 16" .223 Wylde 4150CMV 5 Rifling nitride with a 1/8 twist.

16kw95g.jpg

2sbsnzl.jpg

2dr524y.jpg

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I know you only have 17 posts but there is a requirement that feet must be in every gun picture. :lol2:

The Faxon barrel is very nice. I may have had one before a tragic boating accident. It was a tack driver, if you do your part.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    I know you only have 17 posts but there is a requirement that feet must be in every gun picture. :lol2:

The Faxon barrel is very nice. I may have had one before a tragic boating accident. It was a tack driver, if you do your part.

I'll be sure to take a pic of the firearm on the floor in better lighting once assembled lol.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Yes indeed feet are absolutely required if taken on the floor. And if bare feet, toenails should be manicured, if only for avoiding comments from other members.... ;)

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    Figured I'd update for those interested. Just need a mount for my Arisaka Defense light, BUIS, a class or two, and some range time. Thanks to everyone who offered some insightful information.

2vbqvdl.jpg

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Nice looking rifle. My first was Smith Wesson . Paid to much ya probably. Ended up building / putting one together after learning a whole lot more . Read up on co witness when you get sights , it’s nice. Does it matter eh I don’t know think it’s more preference. Anyway congratulations good looking rifle ,enjoy. It can get very technical if you want .

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Looks good. Better than my first attempt. I wasted a ton of money buying cheep crap before learning the hard way.

Which range do you plan on testing it out? What distance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Figured I'd update for those interested. Just need a mount for my Arisaka Defense light, BUIS, a class or two, and some range time. Thanks to everyone who offered some insightful information.

2vbqvdl.jpg

Good looking rifle. Hope it shoots well. I have made it a habit of building all of my lowers with the Magpul trigger guard. (I used the plastic one, I am not going into combat with it....) Good for gloves in the winter months of shooting. Oh and good job with the feet.

Last edited:

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    Thanks fellas!

Looks good. Better than my first attempt. I wasted a ton of money buying cheep crap before learning the hard way.

Which range do you plan on testing it out? What distance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freds Outdoors is right up the street from me. They allow up to .308 long guns, but it's a 50 yards in door range. Good enough for me. Hopefully someone there can look over it before I shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom