• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    And yet with the exception of Delaware, no other Atlantic flyway migratory goose bag limit is changing..and most are allowed 3...The DNR "biologists" are morons...there is no shortage of these winged rats..

Does Maryland kill more geese by a substantial amount? That’s the only thing that would make sense to me.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    And yet with the exception of Delaware, no other Atlantic flyway migratory goose bag limit is changing..and most are allowed 3...The DNR "biologists" are morons...there is no shortage of these winged rats..

All states are having shortened seasons and lowered limits, they just had higher limits to begin with.

Does Maryland kill more geese by a substantial amount? That’s the only thing that would make sense to me.

According to what the biologists say, yes more migrating geese are killed in Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia than the other states. There is some question about some of the early and late season "resident" seasons in New York and New Jersey and how many migrators are getting killed in them

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'm looking at the bright side: 1) maybe I'll be able to get a long-term lease agreement on paper at a reduced price next year; 2) a season or two of lower limits may mean more birds and higher limits in the future.

I'm OK with a lower limit in the short term for a larger population in the future. I voted accordingly in the survey they sent out. I saw plenty of geese last year and they seem to be showing up now. But I'm only observing birds on a small scale. I've got confidence in the biologists who do the breeding surveys and want to give them an opportunity to manage the species so we can have better hunting opportunities in the future. I hear stories from older guys about hunting deer in the 70's and 80's--you could only take one per year, etc. I know it's different managing a migratory bird than a whitetail, but I'm still totally in favor of giving up a year or two now for hope for the future.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My older son was talking to a guy who was talking to a guy who supposedly knows stuff. He said the dramatic drop off was due to a severe early freeze at the breeding grounds that literally froze all the goose eggs. He also said that if there's another bad year next year, we'll have a five year moratorium on goose hunting. These aren't facts, they're third hand so take it with a grain of salt. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has heard anything similar.
    Kind of sad when my 13 year old was picking up decoys he said "dad if they put a five year moratorium on it, I won't be able to goose hunt until I'm in college."

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My older son was talking to a guy who was talking to a guy who supposedly knows stuff. He said the dramatic drop off was due to a severe early freeze at the breeding grounds that literally froze all the goose eggs. He also said that if there's another bad year next year, we'll have a five year moratorium on goose hunting. These aren't facts, they're third hand so take it with a grain of salt. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has heard anything similar.
    Kind of sad when my 13 year old was picking up decoys he said "dad if they put a five year moratorium on it, I won't be able to goose hunt until I'm in college."

No idea about the 5 year moratorium but the late freeze definitely killed off this year's hatch, both for Canadas and white geese. We noticed it back in Sept when we shot a handful of juvenile snows in 15 days vice the hundreds we normally would shoot. Hopefully the 2019 hatch is strong.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've heard (also 3rd+ hand) of a moratorium if there's another bad year. Didn't hear a timeframe though.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Maybe lease prices will go down.

This is a topic of great speculation. People who lived through the 95-99 moratorium say NO. Generally farmers are of the mindset that they need to re-coup any uncollected money on the next guy.

Same can be said for the hunter himself in a lot of cases. If we leave a lease there are 4 guys standing right behind us willing to pay. Question is, are they willing to pay the price for a one bird daily limit?

Remains to be seen.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

There was a moratorium for a few years back in the 90's. We lived through it. There was a moratorium on rockfish too for a while there. Now, look at how good it is fishing for stripers.

Not sure 2 geese a day is even worth going, but I hunt a farm close enough that it isn't too bad. Driving 2 hours each way and paying a guide to kill two geese had better involve some duck hunting for the rest of the day. To kill a single goose........

Think I have to get a boat and get into duck hunting on the water around here because goose hunting is pathetic. When I had access to a farm in Washington County and had the 8 and 5 resident limit, that was some insane hunting.

Was coming here to post in the 2018/2019 waterfowl thread about what I saw this weekend. Drove up to Long Island. Left my place at 6:15 in the morning and got to Long Island at 10:30. Saw all of 5 groups of geese in the air and a single group of ducks. It was quite pathetic compared to years past. Only saving grace was that I saw some guys towing a duck boat on Long Island and it looked like they had come back from duck hunting. They had the tailgate down and I could see a couple of ducks in there. That got me excited. Geese are too easy to shoot anyway. Need to start chasing ducks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    It really seems like there should be a moratorium rather than 1 bird. I don't know what I'm talking about biologically, but if it's so bad that it needs to be 1, just make it 0. Most people won't go out specifically for geese with a limit of 1 anyway.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It really seems like there should be a moratorium rather than 1 bird. I don't know what I'm talking about biologically, but if it's so bad that it needs to be 1, just make it 0. Most people won't go out specifically for geese with a limit of 1 anyway.
    I think that is the idea.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    There was a moratorium for a few years back in the 90's. We lived through it. There was a moratorium on rockfish too for a while there. Now, look at how good it is fishing for stripers.

Not sure 2 geese a day is even worth going, but I hunt a farm close enough that it isn't too bad. Driving 2 hours each way and paying a guide to kill two geese had better involve some duck hunting for the rest of the day. To kill a single goose........

The lowered limits prior to the nineties moratorium is what brought Sporting Clays to the shore. Several of the guides built ranges so they could offer package deals...morning hunt, lunch, afternoon round of clays. Tommy Dodd in Queenstown and Johnny George of J&P in Sudlersville come to mind.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom