• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Recently saw an ad for Remington 870 DM 12 ga, and was wondering if anyone had one, and what you thought of it.

I don't 'need' another 870. At last count, there are 5+ in my safe.

Just thought it looked interesting, and if they're worth the $$$.

TIA.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've no personal experience with one but the local gun store has one NIB pretty cheap because the distributors are dumping them...poor sales. The box magazine can make handling awkward for some and rimmed cartridges can make feeding problematic if not properly loaded.

The 870 is so good and smooth normally many, if not most find a box magazine of little real use. Even with a standard, tube fed shotgun, by the time you run it empty in a serious social situation, the threat is already over or you're already out of action. I see no real advantage to one beyond simply the idea of having it.

The fact they're being dumped on the market should tell you something about its future.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I hope they dump the semi auto short barrel "firearms". I don't really want a pump with a 14" barrel but I'm not going to spend $700 on a semi auto version either. I'd probably get one if they come down to $300 ish.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here was a response I gave on a FB group about the 870 DM in a home defense role. Take from it as you will. I want to preface this with the statement that I have no issues whatsoever with detachable mag shotguns per se, and own a couple.

First, let's talk the gun itself. Remington 870s of current manufacture have a reputation of finish issues (ie, early rusting). The 870DM itself also has a control issue with the magazine release being an uncomfortably close to the pump, leading to inadvertent magazine release in certain situations. The DM also has a maximum mag capacity of 6rds, which is really underwhelming for a system that's supposed to free you of tube length constraints. The pistol grip stock isn't optimal, but it's livable. (Plus side, it has ghost ring sights, which are tremendously useful.)

Second, mission, namely home defense. Detachable mag shotguns, especially ones with straight insert, are really, really good at reloading fast. Don't let anyone tell you they're going to fully reload a tube quicker off a side saddle, they are not. The problem is that you're not going to be carrying a reload in a home defense situation - you're grabbing your shotgun and going to work. A side saddle and one-off loading is actually a far more viable plan for extending your round capacity in this sort of scenario. If this were some sort of guard or patrol duty mission where you could carry reloads on your gear, I'd probably have a much different opinion of the suitability of a detachable mag shotgun for that.

I'll stick away from recommending other platforms, except to say that whatever I would pick would have ghost ring sights and an extended tube. Magpul stock would also be high on the list. Make sure to use Fed Flite Control to keep your buckshot patterns under control.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For $199 , probably worth it for the investment , when the collector prices will rise 5yr after its discontinued.

In theory, its biggest advantage would be in a jurisdiction where guns must be unloaded in certain circumstances , yet the state Atty General released an Official Opinion that fully loaded magazines may be transported next to unloaded firearms .

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Recently saw an ad for Remington 870 DM 12 ga, and was wondering if anyone had one, and what you thought of it.

I don't 'need' another 870. At last count, there are 5+ in my safe.

Just thought it looked interesting, and if they're worth the $$$.

TIA.

I have one but haven't taken it to the range yet. It's been sitting in my safe for about a year now. I put it off because I wanted to get a few more magazines before taking it out but they were out of stock everywhere for the longest time. The 6 round magazines are still hard to find and seem to sell out as soon as they arrive. The next range trip that I take rifles with me I plan to take it but it's definitely not something I personally would opt to use for home defense. I'm planning to pick up a normal 870 to fill that roll in my home defense plan.

They're a neat idea but I'd choose a regular shotgun, a KSG style, or an AR-style shotgun before I bought the 870 DM or the Mossberg equivalent. I only have mine because it was a gift. I personally wouldn't spend money on one but if they're cheap and you just want one to say you have one go for it.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Not enough utility for me to get one of these, but i am wondering if the conversion from mag to tube, or back, is just the trigger group? Or if staked or other parts would be required. (Spring tube, follower maybe)

Just curious, it could be useful. But I haven’t explored around my 870 recently, or thoroughly enough, to see what the differences are, and if it could work without other mods.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I saw a few of these at the Bel Air gunshow the other week. They looked a little bulky and unwieldy for me. Just didn't turn me on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom