• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Mini-14 and regular AR 15 magazines :rolleyes:

Went to the range today to sight in my new Holosun 510C reflex sight (LOVE this sight btw!!!)

In my haste to gather all of my gear this am, I mistakenly grabbed a few of my Mini-14 magazines. Which of course do not fit the mag well of an AR :rolleyes:

Realizing my mistake at the AGC bench, I was happy enough to realize I did still had a off brand AR magazine in my milk crate (yeah, I got to get a range cart :sad20: ).

Of course, when I had the bolt back and inserted the magazine; and tapped it upwards and released the bolt... the bolt carrier would not close. And then the magazine would not drop out. Finally was able to wiggle it out and examined it... seems that on this el cheepo AR mag, there is a protrusion missing on the side of the stamped metal mag; which prevents it from being inserted too far in the mag well. :sad20:

So after realizing this, was happily punching paper down range for this early afternoon; only after inserting the one and only mag I had on a closed bolt carrier. :innocent0

Still had a good time. What a wonderful day today. Even got a short motorcycle ride in later and watched the end of some terrible NFL football. :D

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    btdt, albeit with glocks. one reason i don't advocate having one gun with multiple caliber barrels etc, too easy to mix up.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Welp... in the afterthoughts of all of it; it was and is my fault. I just wasn't paying attention this morning.

:facepalm: -and- :whack:

My Holosun is zero'ed for a hundred yards, and my BUIS is zero'ed through it as well for the same range. I did put a riser on my AR for the Holsun; I want the BUIS presented through that glass in the lower area of it.

So you should always have your weapon/rifle/whatever zero'ed for the ranges you expect to engage with. If you are scoping, that probably be fine if you have reticles that help you discern differing range. I am sort of at a loss for determining appropriate distance for zeroing around here with a reflex or a red dot without magnifier... I "guess" a hundred yard is sufficient; though closer engagement than that will drop your point of impact quite considerably.

If windage is still correct; you'll still bang that gong. I'll leave imagination to what a gong is... :D

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hmmm, today I forgot my 6.5 grendel mag to test out my new 24” upper. Was stuck double loading the 10 round 5.56 PMAG I had on hand. Worked fine though. Shoots something about 1.5MOA or better 5 shot groups. Only shot one brass cases group though. Scopes busted too, so that could be contributing. Steel cased shot 3MOA. That’s better and worse than my 18” which shoots .9MOA with the right ammo...but 8MOA with wolf steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom