• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As has been reported elsewhere, this is not "ENDING" production. It's suspending it, since there's plenty of inventory and they've got a brisker market for other products (like revolvers and 1911s). Their research shows that the saturated AR market is currently focused on low-priced fare (much lower than Colt's prices) or on much higher-end specialty configurations that Colt doesn't make. So they're putting their attention and production capacity on stuff that they're having an easier time selling because of demand, and they'll come back around to civilian ARs when it seems appropriate, market-wise.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The letter sent to distributors was that Colt has a fairly large inventory of rifles in stock and they're suspending civilian production to concentrate on several large government and foreign orders. Once they're caught up on those contracts they'll revisit the civilian market.

There's little point in continuing production of a product and watch the inventory stack up and collect dust. The market is saturated with black rifles and prices are low. Supply and demand.

I'm not worried...I have enough Colt AR-type rifles and carbines that I'm well covered.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    actual statement from Colt: https://www.colt.com/news/2630

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (September 19th, 2019) – There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt’s participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world’s finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts. Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt’s manufacturing capacity for rifles. Colt’s commitment to the consumer markets, however, is unwavering. We continue to expand our network of dealers across the country and to supply them with expanding lines of the finest quality 1911s and revolvers.

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A very lawyerly and marketing executive explanation. Colt has significant export sales and has had that ability for decades. I doubt if many...if any...other American AR maker has that ability or can match it. Clone makers rely on the American commercial market...Colt...while they've had their problems...does not. I'd like to see Colt be less dependent on government, law enforcement and export sales but that's a management decision they've made for decades and have lived and almost died by it several times.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    SO the media is spinning this as "Gun manufacturer Colt announced Thursday that it will no longer produce and sell rifles such as the AR-15 for personal use." and "The move comes after a number of retailers changed their policies on firearms in recent weeks in the wake of several mass shootings over the summer that renewed a debate about gun control."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...d-production-of-ar-15-rifles-for-personal-use

Colt has made a number of dubious business decisions in the past. I may not have to wait too long for this one to come back and bite them in the ass.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt has said they have something like a 110-115 day inventory of rifles at current sales levels...if so it makes sense to cut back on production until sales justify making more. I think they would have been smarter to say nothing and simply concentrate on the government and export contracts they have. That way they wouldn't earn the enmity of many...virtue signaling buys them nothing with the anti-gun crowd and pisses off customers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I smell a rat. Remember Colt's actions during the '94 AWB. Why do you think the term "H BAR" was written into the language of the AWB? Colt has played us before.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I wouldn’t buy a Colt rifle unless it was the lowest priced and highest quality option available. Probably more likely to have monkeys fly out of my ass.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Your loss. Other than an FN, Colt is the ONLY option I consider. Of course I like General Motors and Harrington & Richardson too but only as Historical pieces. I can buy a Colt, shoot it for years and then sell it for at least what I paid for it but more likely make a handy profit. If for that reason alone, Colt is the best option. I've already seen a modest rise in prices for M4A1's on gunbroker and I expect that trend to both continue and spread to other relatively recent models so long as production is halted. The longer the cessation, the higher the prices will rise. The way I see it, you either buy a Colt now or wish you had later.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The Bolsheviks are running the propaganda presses overtime over this, calling Colt a great corporation for ceasing the sale of these baby killers to civilians.

What would they think to know that it's actually because Colt is not even the largest civilian producer of AR15s and their declining marketshare means it's nothing more than a greedy capitalist position :lol2:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For the Colt haters out there, just a note: my first SOTAR Armorer's class had me disassembling and re-assembling a new Colt AR bought in early 2012. Chad was pleased to find that it gauged out perfectly, and said that that was to be expected of Colt products. Additional care in construction details of course lead to higher price, along with correspondingly decreased problems in use.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    With very few exceptions, I only buy firearms made by companies who supply governments. There is a reason the military has stuck with Colt since the beginning. In my experience with most things from timepieces to firearms, faucets to vehicles, there is a direct correlation between price and Quality. I Drive a Honda, wear a Rolex, wash using a Hansgrohe faucet, shoot a Swiss SIG and collect Colt AR-15's. These things do not happen by accident but rather by careful consideration.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    With very few exceptions, I only buy firearms made by companies who supply governments.

ok, but most companies supply firearms to governments, whether its the US, Israel, Germany, UK, or even Mother Russia. Galil's and Tavor's are just as battle proven as Colts. So is the HK 416, which many here consider an abomination.

I agree with the sentiment, but that really is not saying much at all.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is a copy and paste quote from another site by a gunsmith and gun store owner...

"I'm often asked what AR to buy, especially when politicians start talking about bans and people want to buy one before they're banned.
    I always tell them to buy a Colt.

Why????
    Because a Colt is a known quantity.
    Colt's not only meet the USGI specifications, Colt says they exceed all USGI specs.
    Each and EVERY part on a Colt has to meet the US specs, whether it's a receiver or a tiny plunger pin in the front sight.
    No other maker HAS to do this, and most don't.
    Other makers may make a bolt or carrier from a "better" steel, but they may buy small pins and screws from China, made to NO known spec.
    Since they don't have to meet and PROVE the parts are made to USGI spec, they can use parts made to no spec, as long as they think it's good enough to do.

In virtually all cases a buyer of a Colt can open the box, clean off the factory preservative lube, wipe out the barrel, add fresh lube and go to the range, where it will shoot flawlessly.
    A Colt buyer can pretty much be assured he can shoot 10,000 rounds through his new Colt with no problems at all.

A look at most any gun forum will show almost all posts about Colt to be "Is this model still made" or "Where can I find this one".
    The non-Colt posts are almost all about problems people have with other brands or with parts guns they assembled.

You can spend less then a Colt price, or more, but when you buy a Colt you know you're going to get a very reliable, durable rifle that is an excellent value and will last a long time with no problems."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unfortunately the only one I would like to buy right now, I cannot in MD.

Colt is making a retro A1 pattern rifle, that I would love to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom