• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I have a upper for Deer hunting and it works quite well but it seems to have faded from the spotlight , Anyone else have one and feel it's under valued ,

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've always said that there was room in the marketplace for 6.8SPC OR 6.5 Grendal , but not both .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    6.5 Grendel just seems a little more popular. That could be because I own it and not 6.8SPC, but I certainly hear a lot more about 6.5 grendel. Though it seems like there are more 6.8spc loads out there. But 6.5 grendel ammo is easier to find.

A lot of places online sell 6.8spc.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    6.5 Grendel just seems a little more popular. That could be because I own it and not 6.8SPC, but I certainly hear a lot more about 6.5 grendel. Though it seems like there are more 6.8spc loads out there. But 6.5 grendel ammo is easier to find.

A lot of places online sell 6.8spc.

Your right you don't see much in Ammo on dealers shelfs.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The hype about 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel was that the military might adopt it as a replacement for 5.56. There have been rumors of a 6.8 cartridge for the Fn M249 prototype replacement for years, but so far theyve just been rumors. It might be 6.8 spc, or something else. Until they do, ammo will be expensive and few people will dive in.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Seems the DoD wants to bring back a flavor of it so maybe it will come back to life.

It wasn't a horrible round, but like many, it just wasn't worth the effort for the little gain.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Seems the DoD wants to bring back a flavor of it so maybe it will come back to life.

It wasn't a horrible round, but like many, it just wasn't worth the effort for the little gain.

Sig just announced last week they've developed a new 6.8mm cartridge(not 6.8spc) for their next gen saw submission.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    6.8 spc is a good cartridge but didn't offer much on the battlefield that 5.56 isn't already capable of. Seems to be a fine hunting round for pigs and deer though.

The new 6.8mm cartridge that Sig introduced for NGSW is basically a necked down 7.62x51 cartridge constructed with novel casing materials to save a small amount of weight. The competition from Textron is a polymer cased round of some type with a 6.8mm bullet. Neither has much of anything in common with 6.8 SPC beyond using 6.8mm bullets. The Pentagon's performance requirements for NGSW means that rifle/ammo weight and recoil will be a problem until every soldier gets an exoskeleton standard issue. Personally I put this effort in the same bin as the M14 or SPIW. Except with supposed magnum level recoil. Which will cause requirements to change to the point that either the weapons/ammo are too heavy to carry or the ammo too weak for OVERMATCH. I don't think this sort of development program is a waste of money as it pushes innovation, and maybe the army will get a new SAW out of it. The battle rifle that goes with it is never going to make it past field trials since soldiers are not going to want to carry the extra weight, deal with the extra recoil, or put up with probable reliability issues induced by such a hot round.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Remington is what happened to the 6.8. They sent the wrong specs to SAAMI and it stuck the cartridge in a weird form of limbo. Some smaller companies came out with a spec 2, which was better than the standard and included a chamber with a longer leade and slower twist rate. That's where the cartridge really shined. Too little too late, and now it's a niche cartridge.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    6.5 Grendel has more power, more range, better ballistics. 300BO is more efficient(especially from short barrels), more versatile, and can throw a larger slug, both stretch the platforms capabilities pretty far from the base 5.56 chambering. Of course 5.56 is more popular, and newer heavy/high BC bullets stretch out it's versatility enough to make the relatively small differences in 6.8 not really worth it IMO.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Remington is what happened to the 6.8. They sent the wrong specs to SAAMI and it stuck the cartridge in a weird form of limbo. Some smaller companies came out with a spec 2, which was better than the standard and included a chamber with a longer leade and slower twist rate.
    This!

6.5 Grendel has more power, more range, better ballistics. 300BO is more efficient(especially from short barrels), more versatile, and can throw a larger slug, both stretch the platforms capabilities pretty far from the base 5.56 chambering. Of course 5.56 is more popular, and newer heavy/high BC bullets stretch out it's versatility enough to make the relatively small differences in 6.8 not really worth it IMO.
    Mostly agree with this. I don't think .300AAC was necessarily such a big impact, but I do think steel-cased 6.5G ammo made that caliber a much more appealing choice, since you could now use it in high-volume applications without breaking the bank. 6.8's only real use case now is a very marginal (and theoretical) increase in terminal/hunting performance over 6.5G at like 200yds and in, and maybe slightly better bullet selection. That's simply not a compelling argument given everything else 6.5G does much better.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Ok - I'll say it, I'm the grumpy old guy who gets annoyed at these "what happened to this or that caliber". Just like the 9mm vs .40 vs 45acp endless debate - it's a similar argument. 6.8 SPC didn't get the fame because as others said, there's a number of other perfectly fine rounds (6.5 grendel, .224 Valkyrie, .22 Nosler, etc). What hurt the 6.8 SPC adoption in my opinion, were the picky magazines. Had the military fielded, it would have likely been a different story. The differences, or lack there of, is one of the factors why the .300 BLK rose over most of the others (and size, energy and subsonic). As soon as the new 6.8 specs hit the market and some portion of the military jumps to and aftermarket adopts, there's a good chance that will be the new king in 3-5 years. These choices are like ice cream - pick what you pick to satisfy your needs and be done with it. Just understand what you do today could loose it's "coolness" tomorrow.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    This!

Mostly agree with this. I don't think .300AAC was necessarily such a big impact, but I do think steel-cased 6.5G ammo made that caliber a much more appealing choice, since you could now use it in high-volume applications without breaking the bank. 6.8's only real use case now is a very marginal (and theoretical) increase in terminal/hunting performance over 6.5G at like 200yds and in, and maybe slightly better bullet selection. That's simply not a compelling argument given everything else 6.5G does much better.

Hunting bullet wise, the 6.8 has it in spades. Unless bullet manufacturers got their 6.5 stuff together, all of the 6.5 bullets are designed to work at Swede, creed, 260, and x47 speeds. The 6.8 has bullets designed for performance of the specific cartridge instead of using 270 designed bullets. The round had really caught on in the hunting section. My 9 yo has one. He killed 2 deer with it last year and are trying out luck with bear next month.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hunting bullet wise, the 6.8 has it in spades. Unless bullet manufacturers got their 6.5 stuff together, all of the 6.5 bullets are designed to work at Swede, creed, 260, and x47 speeds. The 6.8 has bullets designed for performance of the specific cartridge instead of using 270 designed bullets. The round had really caught on in the hunting section. My 9 yo has one. He killed 2 deer with it last year and are trying out luck with bear next month.

?

The 6.5 bullets work fine for hunting in the 6.5 grendel. The SST expands just fine from a 16” barrel out to at least 400yds. 1600fps is the minimum required velocity for reliable expansion and from a 16” barrel Hornady SST has that out last 400yds.

I don’t plan on probably shooting at anything past 200yds, maybe 300 max with my 18” 6.5 grendel rifle. I am not worried about bullet performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom