• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Starting to focus on historic and mid to higher end C&R stuff. I know their prices are usually high but sometimes they have some decent prices in their reduced bin and they have been getting a lot of PP's etc. lately.

What's the general opinion? I have heard largely good but would like to confirm before I start buying $2k guns unseen!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've been dealing with Simpson's for years. Yes, their prices can be high but sometimes there are really good deals there. Plus, they get things in that you would have a very hard time finding on your own. To me, that is worth a premium. I don't really care about price as much as Quality though and Simpson's has a lock on that. I have NEVER been less than 100% satisfied with my purchases and the staff has always been available and helpful when I called. In short, I highly recommend them!

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I agree, I got a stone mint Manurhin PPK from them. Very happy

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    The general consensus is they have a great selection of higher end guns for a little more than you could get similar guns thoroughly scouring the internet and gun shows. Do they have the best prices? No but their selection is great and constantly updated.

I'd say if you don't want to spend the time looking for the rifle you want at a gunshow or on forums Simpsons is a great place to buy your rifle.

Jul 1, 2012
    Simpson imports a lot of their inventory, in addition to doing consignments, etc so something to bear in mind if that's important to you.
    They usually have a very small, discrete mark though, typically on the lower edge of the magwell or other unobtrusive location.
    I've gotten some super deals just by being quick on the draw or seeing something that they didn't so to speak.
    Nice folks to deal with and they are usually conservative in their descriptions, unlike some other guys that call an 80% gun 95% :)
    As Combloc says, I've never been disappointed.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Never bought anything from them but I love their website because you can zoom in on the pictures to a great degree. Normally I'm a bit weary buying off the net but their pics were what made me close to buying things a few times.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Never bought anything from them but I love their website because you can zoom in on the pictures to a great degree. Normally I'm a bit weary buying off the net but their pics were what made me close to buying things a few times.

^^^ Just what I was going to write.

It's good to know that if there's something I just have to get, it's available, even if there's a premium for desperation. Anyway, great site, which I often aoid due to temptation issues.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Simpson imports a lot of their inventory, in addition to doing consignments, etc so something to bear in mind if that's important to you.
    They usually have a very small, discrete mark though, typically on the lower edge of the magwell or other unobtrusive location.
    I've gotten some super deals just by being quick on the draw or seeing something that they didn't so to speak.
    Nice folks to deal with and they are usually conservative in their descriptions, unlike some other guys that call an 80% gun 95% :)
    As Combloc says, I've never been disappointed.

Thanks. I have been eyeballing their Manurhins and Lahti's which I believe they all import. That and looking for an American Eagle Luger they have had a few lately that have appeared to be very honestly described and much better than anything I have seen on GB or at the Funshows. I am all about scoping "deals" but sometimes you just want to cut down the risk if its not crazy expensive.

Do they always clearly state when a gun is import marked? For me, like their .22 Manhurins its not a big deal others it is.

Jul 1, 2012
    In my experience they always say if it's import-marked, and usually show a pic of the marking.
    They are also MD C&R friendly :)

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    I purchased an original Colt Series 70 from them, and was happy with the transaction. Their prices are a bit high but they are professional and often carry hard to find items. Their selection of Lugers is among the best I have ever seen, anywhere online.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. I have been eyeballing their Manurhins and Lahti's which I believe they all import. That and looking for an American Eagle Luger they have had a few lately that have appeared to be very honestly described and much better than anything I have seen on GB or at the Funshows. I am all about scoping "deals" but sometimes you just want to cut down the risk if its not crazy expensive.

Do they always clearly state when a gun is import marked? For me, like their .22 Manurhins its not a big deal others it is.

Recently got one of these from my LGS. Very pretty gun. No chance to try at the range as yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I had a bad experience, won't go to their site anymore. Comm over email to them ordering a K-31. Added a mosin to the order. K-31 shows up, no Mosin. Call them and the guy couldn't care less. Told me to just order it and pay shipping again. Nice rifles though and packaging was very good.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For the types of firearms I am generally interested in the written description could be supported by close up images of key inspection points that would help to determine authenticity. Even with that, inventory and selection is good if you would like a representative/shooter model without entirely breaking the bank.
    After a quick run through some of the items I did see two obsolete rifles that seemed relatively familiar to me from looking elsewhere previously, one was actually in person. I did see some nice surplus rifles that were interesting, very nice but at slightly more than I would feel comfortable paying for them without a more in depth study. The thing is, they at least had them to offer which is important. G 33/40 that's listed right now is one of them.

Jul 1, 2012
    I had a bad experience, won't go to their site anymore. Comm over email to them ordering a K-31. Added a mosin to the order. K-31 shows up, no Mosin. Call them and the guy couldn't care less. Told me to just order it and pay shipping again. Nice rifles though and packaging was very good.

They state very clearly they won't reserve firearms via email - only by phone or in person. That's one of my biggest gripes against them, it would be nice to be able to order the firearms directly from the website.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I didn't reserve it it was how I communicated and how I provided my 03, they just forgot. That's cool. No big deal but it was their response that ticked me off.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Accurate and honest descriptions of items along with high res photos come at a premium.

There are folks that scan the site daily so you will notice lots of good deals already say SOLD at the bottom of the description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom