• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Smith and wesson, 36-1, 3” barrel, pinned,box and papers,
    Condition, say 95%. What’s a fair price.?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Picked up an earlier variant, no dash, as a C&R for about 500 IIRC a few years ago. Nice clean example. (Also 3" M37, from same seller.) No boxes or papers, though.

I understand the "completeness" issue with the ephemera, and have a few guns with their boxes, but it's hard for me to justify extra money - usually on the serious side - for the extras. Still, it's interesting to see the original packaging.

Attachments

• Smith 36.jpg
      Smith 36.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 433

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    $400 to $500 looks like what they have sold for on Gunbroker. Sold, not just listed. However, that is not for boxed ones which seems to add $200 or so, assuming the condition is there to make it of interest to a collector. Seems like a real premium for a box but they bring it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Picked up an earlier variant, no dash, as a C&R for about 500 IIRC a few years ago. Nice clean example. (Also 3" M37, from same seller.) No boxes or papers, though.

I understand the "completeness" issue with the ephemera, and have a few guns with their boxes, but it's hard for me to justify extra money - usually on the serious side - for the extras. Still, it's interesting to see the original packaging.

I know a few SW guys, the box means EVERYTHING. I’m indifferent about my Glock boxes ;)

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The Beretta guys are the same about the boxes and condition of them. Could mean $100s in difference. Even if the fold in "ears" on the ends of the box are creased will diminish value.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Things like the original box and paperwork aren't worth extra money in my estimation...if I'm buying. If I'm selling they are definitely of extra value. Hypocritical I know...but it works for me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Took a look at the old paperwork for the 3" S&W J-frames; cheaper than I thought. 430 for the M36, 480 for the M37. Both off GB, combined shipping. The 37 does not have the flat latch; I don't know if a Smith collector would place any price differential on that aspect. My interest was in the 3" barrel, great condition, and being able to use my C&R for the purchase.

This was several years ago, if that makes a difference. Seems like old wheelguns are getting a bit more love these days, but that's just anecdotal - I have no real info either way.

Edit: M37 also has flat latch, my bad. Safe is like an archeological dig.

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    My last 2 purchases were colts, 1980 and 1956. I am appreciating the older revolvers and thinking about the work that went into their manufacture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom