• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO not a good idea, unless for protection from small/medium sized animals. If however you really need to have a pistol, but are disqualified from carrying, I would say the below is your best bet. Not small, nor concealable by any means, is only a single shot, but does have just about the same muzzle energy as a .22 short.
    https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/usedguns.html/quackenbush-pistol-.25-50-ft/lbs-w/scope-used/

Just carry a black powder derringer or even a black powder revolver. Downside is you cannot carry them concealed. They are not considered firearms, but they ARE still considered deadly weapons and thus cannot be concealed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO 5 reliable rounds able to be fired quickly, with little if any preparation required, at least 9/38 cal capable of penetrating 12" or better in gel tests (about 250FPE or better) are the bare minimum someone should intend to use for defense. There are big bore airguns that can make that level of power, some that are repeaters, and some that can be left pre-charged for a long time, but don't know of any that can do it all, and even then, why? Could be a work-around of stupid infringing laws, in the same way BP pistols could be, or how OC with "unloaded" pistols(slide locked back, loaded mag ready to drop in) could be. It's a big stretch, but being the resident air-gun guy, you would probably be the most knowledgeable if there is a big bore air gun out there that could meet the bare basic defensive use requirements.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I'm surprised that the mention of a black powder revolver has not been brought up yet.

OP, have you given consideration to them? I'd rather have that for defense than an airgun.

I was thinking the same thing. Could pick up a smaller single action BP pistol, seal up the cylinder after loading and at least stand a fighting chance if attacked.

Since they are not considered to be firearms, you should be able to get one, just not sure carrying if it would not be a crime of some type in Marylandistan.

You would be good if inside of your home for sure.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Just carry a black powder derringer or even a black powder revolver. Downside is you cannot carry them concealed. They are not considered firearms, but they ARE still considered deadly weapons and thus cannot be concealed.

Perhaps a little off topic, but am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that we can open carry a BP pistol in Marylandistan without being in violation of some obscure backroom law? If that is the case, then I wonder why I do not see lots of 2A supporters sporting a BP pistol in a holster.

Perhaps a new movement is in order. Everyone without a CCW gets strapped with BP and open carries! It would certainly make me feel safer being able to carry something. Too old to fight and not able to run. People like me make good victims and Lord knows Marylandistan loves to keep us this way.

I bet I would get to know the local LEOs pretty well in a short period of time.:innocent0

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Or more appropriate: air pistols. I have mixed feelings about it but what do you think. Civilian and LE or retired LE/military as well, please! I haven't seen any threads about it but I have watched several videos by firearms CCW holders.

If you're going to raise a weapon to someone with the intent to defend yourself why would you choose an objectively worse weapon to do it with.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    For home defense, this paintball carbine along with the pepper balls is an awesome solution (you can throw away all the paintball garb and get the CO2 bottle charged at most sporting goods stores).
    MAddog Spyder MR100 Pro Beginner Protective CO2 Paintball Gun Package - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0E8TK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EK4QCbG6WDRDJ

Here's a couple good ones too:

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Supply-...oods&sprefix=pepper+spray,sporting,156&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Firestorm-Sh...=pepper+spray,sporting,156&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

And there's a video on youtube about how to make refillable CO2 cylinders as well.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I think you need to take a page out of G. Gordon Liddy’s book since it is about the same situation.

Being a convicted felon, the G Man was prohibited from owning firearms too but MRS LIDDY was not prohibited and had quite a collection in their Ft Washington home and available for HD/SD by the whole family.

Now, is Mrs Wolf prohibited? If not, then she can own anything she wants for defense of the family home. You can’t own firearms but she can’t be made to suffer or curtail her rights because of the schlub she married

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    This would work?

no-county-old-men1.jpg

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I think you need to take a page out of G. Gordon Liddy’s book since it is about the same situation.

Being a convicted felon, the G Man was prohibited from owning firearms too but MRS LIDDY was not prohibited and had quite a collection in their Ft Washington home and available for HD/SD by the whole family.

Now, is Mrs Wolf prohibited? If not, then she can own anything she wants for defense of the family home. You can’t own firearms but she can’t be made to suffer or curtail her rights because of the schlub she married

Being prohibited and having access is a crime.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Being prohibited and having access is a crime.

Being prohibited and having possession is the crime under Federal and most state laws

Unless it’s a State crime or a condition of probation, then access could be a DQ

Now the G Man was a favorite to most but not all and there had to be a MD or Fed that could have caught a wild hair and paid him a visit at home after one of his many bragging bits but none ever did. Go Figure.

Then again, I’m not a lawyer and I never crossed the line to wind up in such a situation so WTF do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom