• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I think Doco has hit it on the head. If the case was held in the chamber by the case mouth, the firing pin would make a more defined indentation, not the cone shape these primers have. I think the case is moving forward.
    Two different pistols make it unlikely it is a dragging firing pin or other pistol problem. Trying a third pistol or different primers will probably get the same result.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think Doco has hit it on the head. If the case was held in the chamber by the rim, the firing pin would make a more defined indentation, not the cone shape these primers have. I think the case is moving forward.
    Two different pistols make it unlikely it is a dragging firing pin or other pistol problem. Trying a third pistol or different primers will probably get the same result.

If this is the most likely diagnosis, maybe find a buddy with a .45acp revolver that holds the cases by the rim with moon clips? I'm not sure about the other brands, but I know the Ruger Redhawk that is .45cap/lc does not try to headspace at all on the case mouth. They'll drop right through the cylinder without moon clips. That would take this issue completely out of the equation. If they still didn't work, it would have to be something else.
    Just a thought :shrug:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think Doco has hit it on the head. If the case was held in the chamber by the rim, the firing pin would make a more defined indentation, not the cone shape these primers have. I think the case is moving forward.
    If you strip your gun and assemble the components to the slide with a dummy in there you can see how adding the bushing, barrel and slide lug lock up are related and how the fitting of the components works. If its right extractor and HS happen at about the same time
    A bushing that is worn will allow the cartridge to freely move back and forth allowing the rim to head-space from the extractor or the end of the chamber intermittently so will to short a cartridge among other things.
    I don't know for sure because I haven't looked at it and I don't mess with pistols very often anymore because I don't shoot them well.
    Hope to find out what it is, this interesting to me.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Well, shot another 50 rounds of my reloads and no issues. I just can't explain why those 6 rounds didn't Fire. Guess it will remain an unexplained mystery for now.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sometimes it can't be explained, but in my many years of reloading, the only time I have had issues with primer detonation was with primers that were not fully seated in the primer pockets. It didn't happen to me until I stared messing with milsurp brass with crimped primer pockets.

The rounds have the appearance of a good firing pin strike on the primer face, which actually does, in fact, happen..... but... the force that should be pushing the primer anvil against the cup to detonate the primer, is, in fact, just pushing the whole primer deeper into the case until it finally bottoms out and at that point, there is not enough force left to get the anvil to hit the primer charge hard enough to detonate it.

In many cases (I'd say 50% of the time), I can just shoot that round again, once, perhaps twice and it will eventually go off since you have finally 'seated' the primer all the way and the anvil will strike the charge in the cup and set'r off.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I reload on a Lee Turret Press and it does a pretty good job of seating the primers. I always check to make sure the primers are flush with the bottom of the case. I really don't think it is a primer seating issue. I've never had a primer issue with any other caliber pistol round but .45 is the only one I load that uses a large pistol primer.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Those primers look odd to me. Here's one of my 45 cases. CCI large pistol primer, using Bullseye powder with a 230 XTP bullet. Shot out of a 1911.

All my primers look like this, not that huge crater you have. I've made plenty of ammo on a Lee Turret, so yeah, I know what you mean about seating. Something else is amiss. What's the gun that is shooting them?

Attachments

• 20180311_220225.jpg
      20180311_220225.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 74

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I've tried to fire them in three different guns now and they won't Fire. It almost has to be defective primers. Haven't had the problem before or after this batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom