• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    Looking to get my first first full auto after some reading iv decided on a Mac 10 or 11 in 9mm anything I should stay away from? And are they still selling for around 6 to 7k? I don't wanna pay to much. Any advice would be great before I start looking around.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    On the advice of another member, a MAC was my first FA (and only so far). Solid choice... still affordable and scratches the itch, plus good aftermarket support.

MAC numbers are a bit confusing, but the 11/9 is the version most loved. Slightly smaller than its MAC-10 cousin and chambered in 9mm, vs .45 or .380.

If you are really patient you might get one for less. It's pretty "common" as far as FA goes.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    As stated, Mac. I got an 11 .380 with a 9mm lage upper as well and now Lage is working on a 223 upper for it. I’d love a second FA, but if the Mac is all I end up with i consider my purchase perfect.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Build an AR 9mm pistol, add a binary trigger, save lots of money and burn up just as much ammo with a lot less paperwork. I have several MG's. They sit in the safe. Fun for a little bit and then..... As an investment fine but to go shoot all the time maybe not. If you want a fun shooter buy a Sten.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have sold a lot of people on Macs. I have had a few of those who bought M10s come back saying they wish they went smaller with the M11/9s. Those that have bought M11/9s have always been happy with their choice. Those that went with the M11A seems happy too but knew they had less options going in.

I still say M11/9, hands down.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    As stated, get a M11 first (vs the big M10 or baby M11A). Its by far the most versatile with the largest aftermarket support.

Reuben is selling them for $8k on sturm so thats probably the top at the moment. I haven't seen any less than $7 in a while.
    http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/forum/5-nfa-market-board/

I would have agreed with you until about 2 years ago, now the I think the question is do you want a .22LR kit. If you do and you aren't a tinkerer, then the m11/9 is still the way to go. Guys on Uzitalk get them to run in the baby Macs, but those guys know what they are doing.

The baby Mac now has a Max11 in 9mm, and the Max31A is definitely looks better than the Max31 with that long receiver behind the pistol grip. Add in the Max11/15 uppers which certainly will look better on the baby mac, and I might have to recommend the baby macs now.

Top to bottom:
    Max31
    Max31a
    Max11a1

Attachments

• MAX-31mk2LoDefSlate.JPG
      MAX-31mk2LoDefSlate.JPG
      19.7 KB · Views: 280
    • max31a.JPG
      max31a.JPG
      19.8 KB · Views: 301
    • max11a1.jpg
      max11a1.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 282

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have sold a lot of people on Macs. I have had a few of those who bought M10s come back saying they wish they went smaller with the M11/9s. Those that have bought M11/9s have always been happy with their choice. Those that went with the M11A seems happy too but knew they had less options going in.

I still say M11/9, hands down.

Only option missing now is a drop in .22LR kit, and those can be fitted. And the baby Mac guys have the option of Max31K.

Attachments

• MAX31kRtSide.jpg
      MAX31kRtSide.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 293

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    MAX-11/15 is for the M11/9 only so far. Sabre was same.
    I have all three. Agreed the baby A is the cutest but the full sized 9 has always had more support. Parts are always designed for it first.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    MAX-11/15 is for the M11/9 only so far. Sabre was same.
    I have all three. Agreed the baby A is the cutest but the full sized 9 has always had more support. Parts are always designed for it first.

Yep a lot more of them out there. Also, I'm talking about the large grip baby Mac. If I had the small grip frame, I would send it to Sam at Practical Solutions so you can get a 9mm grip installed.

Lage said it should be easy to adapt the Max11/15. I am honestly considering selling my M11/9 and picking up a baby Mac. I can run .22LR though an M16 if I want to. And I don't know about now, but 2 years ago it was much easier to find a below market baby Mac since they are seen as less desirable.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yep a lot more of them out there. Also, I'm talking about the large grip baby Mac. If I had the small grip frame, I would send it to Sam at Practical Solutions so you can get a 9mm grip installed.

Lage said it should be easy to adapt the Max11/15. I am honestly considering selling my M11/9 and picking up a baby Mac. I can run .22LR though an M16 if I want to. And I don't know about now, but 2 years ago it was much easier to find a below market baby Mac since they are seen as less desirable.

For an advanced collector, you have very good points. IF you want to do stuff on your own and are willing to wait 2nd in line for everything. I do agree, you may have SLIGHTLY better results in the end. However for the first time buyer, who might not know everything, I still suggest the M11/9. Its the most supported frame with the most options that are easy to drop on and get working. However, even for me... I am keeping my M11/9. The advantage is not worth the hassle of switching platforms... to me. Plus I have to figure eventually something really cool will come out only for the M11/9 and leave the baby Macs crying as has happened before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom