• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Just thinking aloud, which is dangerous.

I often come across small quantities of unique calibers that I don't reload and are costly to trade with shipping, etc.

What if we could get together and start a co-op where you can send in any brass and get "credits", similar in the way companies like Freedom Munitions offer a discount off buying new ammo by sending in empties. But instead of buying, you're pooling all your odd brass to hopefully get a larger quantity of a caliber you want for just shipping and a nominal overhead.

Issues off the top of my head:
    - shipping is typically mutual in brass trades, now there may have to be a premium to allow the broker to ship back to you

- determining unit "credits" so that hard-to-find brass is worth way "more" than 9mm, 40sw, .223, etc common calibers

- possibly gridlocking the system where the pool has nothing but common calibers and everyone is looking for less common ones. (Maybe have trade restrictions on additional amounts of calibers that are already bloated inventory)

- how to compensate the broker for their service(s)

Thoughts? Volunteers?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Looks like you just volunteered to set it up.:innocent0
    Personally I think it would be to much of a hassle, seems like it could get to be a full time job witn no pay, health insurance or pension.;)

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Could work but logistics could be an issue.
    Meeting or relaying with members of the co op could elevate expense.
    I normally hold odd calibers for trade or calibers I don’t reload.
    We are doing a little of this now with the brass trade thread but may be able to improve.
    A broker would need to have the space to store large quantities of brass and time to inspect to make sure brass is worth reloading

Mike I would be willing to help if it makes sense to do this

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Could work but logistics could be an issue.
    Meeting or relaying with members of the co op could elevate expense.
    I normally hold odd calibers for trade or calibers I don’t reload.
    We are doing a little of this now with the brass trade thread but may be able to improve.
    A broker would need to have the space to store large quantities of brass and time to inspect to make sure brass is worth reloading

Mike I would be willing to help if it makes sense to do this

These are my main thoughts. Trading of brass is currently taking place in the aforementioned thread, and whether in that manner or under a brass broker/co-op there would still be a need to travel/ship.

I have seen offered trades of brass, but have not followed through with a trade since the benefit would not outweigh the cost of shipping or travel.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Correct, I've participated in the Brass Trade thread many times, it's only the small quantities that cause me issue. I've dumped a load on
    tony b in the past because I know he does some informal brokering, I was just thinking of formalizing it. In the guise of a true Co-Op,
    there could be a membership fee to join that would offset costs and would truely be member owned. I know a lot of members are retired
    and some have idle hands, so it's just a thought. I'm about to post all my misc in the Brass Trade thread shortly, but as you'll see it's all
    over the place and I'm really only looking for a single caliber right now, so finding a needle in a haystack for a 1-on-1 trader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom