• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Suggestions for a holster?

anything blade-tech or comptac will work fine for you. i have a bunch of blade-tech holsters and mag pouches for my various handguns. for the holster i recommend their asr belt loop attachment, and for mag pouches, their tek-lok attachments.

if you want something a little nicer, sturdier and local (and more expensive), check out red hill tactical, seeing more shooters using this.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    anything blade-tech or comptac will work fine for you. i have a bunch of blade-tech holsters and mag pouches for my various handguns. for the holster i recommend their asr belt loop attachment, and for mag pouches, their tek-lok attachments.

if you want something a little nicer, sturdier and local (and more expensive), check out red hill tactical, seeing more shooters using this.

Definitely check out red hill tactical. Use discount code "targetfocus" for 10% off

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

We've had good luck so far with Blade-tech. They seem reliable enough and aren't outrageously priced. Amazon sometimes has good deals on holster/mag carrier combos, depending on make and model of you pistol.

I don't know if it is allowed in all disciplines, but for us rookies, the two piece competition belt (inner section goes in your belt loops and stays on you, outer half holds holster, mag holders, etc and velcros on and off of the inner belt) has been a good investment. It beats fiddling with getting everything situated around your belt loops, and there's less chance of your pants falling down when gearing up or down.

Acquiring gear (not just guns and mags) seems to be a continuous process, but you don't need it all at once. Today, we had a blast at a steel shoot with only the competition belt, holster, and mag holder. We've done other shoots where you don't even need that: guns and mags are staged on tables. All you do is pick it up, shoot, clear, then put it down. In that case, the only gear you really need is good magazines...never too many of them ;)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    2 piece belts are not allowed in IDPA, not sure about GSSF as I don't shoot that. 2 piece belts are good in just about everything else including USPSA, Steel Challenge, 3-gun, ICORE, 2-gun and most outlaw matches (like Peacemaker). Generally not in tactical matches either. Pick up an operator or instructor's belt for IDPA. Much stiffer than a regular belt.

I have been shooting competitively for over 10 years. I shot a lot of club steel matches at MPC in Frederick before I ever ventured out to shoot in the greater world. I have now shot matches as far West as New Mexico, North as Pennsylvania, and South as Alabama. Keep the fun factor in mind. Practice the firearms safety rules until you can do it without thinking. Dry fire practice at home can get you up to speed much quicker than just range/match shooting. The pros do repetitions every single day like clockwork, things like drawing, dry firing, and mag changes. Never practice without a purpose or a plan. Shoot with a purpose in mind. Do you want to improve your skills? Shoot in competition better? Improve your real life skills? Or just have fun. Find out what you like to do or what you do best. I was shooting Bullseye matches when I discovered I shoot better scores the faster I shoot. My first scores in the 90 out of 100 were in rapid fire not slow fire. I took that to indicate I should switch to speed shooting and that is pretty much all I do these days.
    I did not even start until I was almost 60 YO because another sport occupied my life for decades (not golf although I do that some).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom