• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I had a great time. Absolutely priceless meeting more like-minded MDS folks! I would love to get a weekly ride going with you guys. As we build up more cardio, we can start extending the rides longer!!

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Apone and I tore up the trails on Sunday. We were short on time so instead of hitting the BC side we hit this monster climb near the bottom of cascade! Major o2 debt at the top but it was all good. This trail wil stay in the rotation for sure. The trails at Patapsco are very fast right now, very dry and hard, almost like pavement. I may need to go to a harder gear ratio! LOL

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hey guys,

OP here. Just thought I'd revive the thread for a sec to say that I rode in my first Mtn bike race on Sunday, the Fair Hill Classic in NE Maryland. Great race. They had several different races....First time/Novice 8.1 miles, Beginner 13 miles, Expert 27, Endurance 50. Being a first timer I did the Novice race with a friend of mine. Finished 11th out of 23 male riders, time was 47:25. Very well organized event, I must say. Trails weren't too tough, though after reading the place was pretty flat, some of the hills surprised me. Only a couple of logs to hop and I think 3 streams to go through, plus a few had little wooden bridges over them. Not too rocky a trail, a bit rooty, though. I killed a number of "overdressed" guys on the hills. We'd started at the back, not knowing what the skill levels of the other riders were and not wanting to get in anyone's way. Turns out, we should have started up front, b/c the fast pace started by some could not be maintained by many, and nature took its course, allowing us both to finish middle of the pack.

Anyway, it was a great experience, and I hope to ride the 13 mile ride next year. One thing is for sure, I've got to practice riding flat out for longer periods of time, b/c my lungs were dying by the end! Great experience, though.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Don't have the bike to ride with you guys, but will meet in the parking lot. :innocent0

I'll buy the first round :D

Attachments

• DSCN0011.JPG
      DSCN0011.JPG
      111.8 KB · Views: 125

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hey guys,

OP here. Just thought I'd revive the thread for a sec to say that I rode in my first Mtn bike race on Sunday, the Fair Hill Classic in NE Maryland. Great race. They had several different races....First time/Novice 8.1 miles, Beginner 13 miles, Expert 27, Endurance 50. Being a first timer I did the Novice race with a friend of mine. Finished 11th out of 23 male riders, time was 47:25. Very well organized event, I must say. Trails weren't too tough, though after reading the place was pretty flat, some of the hills surprised me. Only a couple of logs to hop and I think 3 streams to go through, plus a few had little wooden bridges over them. Not too rocky a trail, a bit rooty, though. I killed a number of "overdressed" guys on the hills. We'd started at the back, not knowing what the skill levels of the other riders were and not wanting to get in anyone's way. Turns out, we should have started up front, b/c the fast pace started by some could not be maintained by many, and nature took its course, allowing us both to finish middle of the pack.

Anyway, it was a great experience, and I hope to ride the 13 mile ride next year. One thing is for sure, I've got to practice riding flat out for longer periods of time, b/c my lungs were dying by the end! Great experience, though.

Good for you for getting out there and racing. My racing days are over...

Fair Hill is pretty smooth as I remember. I've only been there once. Are there really 50 miles of trails out there or was a it loop?

I've been holding off riding because of the heat and humidity. I'm afraid of hurting myself. Just be nice if it let up a little, but we're coming into the middle of summer now, so it might be awhile until I get out again.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

Fair Hill is pretty smooth as I remember. I've only been there once. Are there really 50 miles of trails out there or was a it loop?

I've been holding off riding because of the heat and humidity. I'm afraid of hurting myself. Just be nice if it let up a little, but we're coming into the middle of summer now, so it might be awhile until I get out again.

This heat is a real bitch. I went out at 930AM and did a paltry 3 miles on my little cruiser and felt like crap when I got back. Normally, I feel pumped up....today I felt like someone kicked my ass. Kinda wussy for me to feel that way after three miles of flat pavement, but this heat is a killer.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    This heat is a real bitch. I went out at 930AM and did a paltry 3 miles on my little cruiser and felt like crap when I got back. Normally, I feel pumped up....today I felt like someone kicked my ass. Kinda wussy for me to feel that way after three miles of flat pavement, but this heat is a killer.

It really is bad. I'm still doing my 2 mile runs 3 days a week, but very early around 7am. Still come back home soaked. Actual mountain biking is a LOT harder work and to do it right means bustin' balls...this ain't bustin' balls weather for a 60year old.

"Back when I was a boy, we rode in this and like it!"

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It really is bad. I'm still doing my 2 mile runs 3 days a week, but very early around 7am. Still come back home soaked. Actual mountain biking is a LOT harder work and to do it right means bustin' balls...this ain't bustin' balls weather for a 60year old.

"Back when I was a boy, we rode in this and like it!"

Yeah...what I am doing isn't really biking. I'll be the first to admit that.

If that's killing me, I can only imagine what real biking would do in this heat.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

Thanks bikebreath.

I'm pretty sure I read that there are now over 80 miles of trails at Fairhill. The Delaware Trailspinners keep adding more...if you hit the Delaware Trailspinners site (http://www.trailspinners.org) and click on the Fair Hill Classic, you can scroll to the bottom and find that routes of all the races. They all started with the same 5 mile or so section, and then branched off from there. The 50 mile ride was actually the expert loop done twice, but with one section removed for the second lap. So it was a 27 mile lap, then a 23 mile lap. The Novice route, what I rode, wasn't overly hilly...there were some long but not overly steep climbs...but looking at the contours on the maps, the other routes had some much steeper terrain, as those contour lines get mighty close together in a few areas they went through.

My wife is 28 weeks pregnant with twins, so I don't know how much longer I can keep up the riding, but hopefully I can find the time to get 2 hours in at least a couple times a week.....this might be completely unrealistic, but we'll see!

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Congrats! You should ride with Glock_45 and I on Sunday mornings! That'll get your lungs workin' for sure!!

I'll check in here later this week or shoot you a pm to see if we can get together this weekend. I might be able to.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Is anyone doing the Cranky Monkey Race at Schaeffer this weekend?

I would have if my friend who I did the Fairhill ride with was around, but he's a on a fishing excursion in Canada and won't be back until the day after the race. Don't feel like going there alone.

Plus......I fell about 2 weeks ago at Loch Raven and ripped my right shoulder out of socket....had to put it back in myself so I could ride back out of there. I hope to go to Schaeffer during the next week, and maybe also Fair Hill and Allegrippis/Raystown Lake in PA over the next week or two. I rode on NCR the other day, from Ashland up to the PA line and back, and the shoulder felt pretty good. Not sure how it'll respond with logs and roots and such, but we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom