:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Thin Blue Line Welcome.jpg
      Thin Blue Line Welcome.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 389

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Well this is thread is kinda old, but some of the things said on this are not true. MSP has it's hands in many specialized units MANY. For example Gang Enforcement Unit, Drugs/ Covert and Overt, Aviation, Drug Interdiction, Commercial Vehicle Division, Automotive Safety, MCAC (Intel and who knows what most of those guys do?) Fugitive Task Force, Firearms Unit, Asset Forfeiture Unit, Child/missing persons Recovery Unit, Homicide, CID, Media Relations, STATE Team (full time swat team that air assaults, and can assault sea vessels), Computer crimes Unit that without question is one of the best in the county. There are more but I'm tired of typing them out, Don't get it screwed up MD Troopers have top notch personnel. But if your become a Trooper you have to bust your ass on the road to get into those units, plus the road is fun. All of the barracks outside of Central Md. are full service.

GLOCKMED

Sep 8, 2012
    I would look into MSP if that is what you want. I knew of a Guy who had an insulin pump and he made it through the academy and is or was on the job. so your type I diabetes might not be an issue.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Have you checked out the low pay scale for college grads. IF one could get hired anyway. I'd rather be a state trooper for 8k less than any of the higher paying local depts. Having statewide jurisdiction is kind of nice too.

No way. Not in a million years. BTW MD LEO's have statewide jurisdiction in emergency situations.

Maryland Code, Article 27, Section 594B

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I would think if you join MSP a majority of your time will be spent writing speeding tickets. Boots on the ground, I guess, but probably pretty boring at times.

Depending on what barrack you go to. There are a few that are all highway, but I work in Carroll County and we answer any and all calls for service. We are doing the sheriff's department job mainly because there are always calls coming out and they don't have the manpower. But it is false to believe that all we do is write tickets.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

GLOCKMED

Sep 8, 2012
    But it is false to believe that all we do( Troopers) is write tickets.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Troopers respond to and for calls for service through out the state and do criminal investigations. Troopers from the barracks do our background investigations for the handgun permits along with other caseload that they carry. Some counties the troopers do all the accidents( collision investigation.) Just tickets no. Knowledgeable in traffic law? yes very and others areas as well.

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    Dan, good for you to be looking ahead. That's the first step.

Many people have posted all sorts of ideas about where to work: military, state, federal, maybe even private security.

But I'm going to answer your question very differently: You won't make it. Stick with the math and statistics, become an analyst.

Sorry if that's harsh, but hear me out.

Imagine, if you will, a class of Navy SEALS at BUD/S. It's the second overnight evolution, they are laying in the Pacific Ocean at 0300, waves crashing, they've already run 45 miles in two days, done four sessions of PT, wet and sandy log runs, boat runs, been flipped and crashed into the rocks. Working on two hours sleep. They are under-fed, cold and soaked to the bone. Salt water stings every cut and scrape on their hands, arms, face. Sand in their shorts, sand in their ears, sand in their ass and in their teeth. They breathe and it tastes like salt.

There's one guy who is looking around at his classmates, thinking "Whoa that water is cold. But I can't be the first guy to quit. But it's really F'ing cold. Damn, I knew it would be cold, but I didn't think it would be this cold. Is anybody going to quit? Looks like Johnson is about to..” Before you know it, this guy is DOR. Dropped On Request. Ring the bell, pack your sh*t, you don’t belong here.

There’s another guy who is looking around at his classmates, thinking “Hooah this is F’ing wild. Look at this, pitch black, crashing waves, and we’re out here like it’s nothin’. They said it would be cold but this ain’t cold, hell, we could do this all night! Bring it on, because they can’t break us; all day, all night, all week, it don’t matter, HOOAH!

He's thinking positive, he's thinking team, and he's going to make it.

It’s called self-programming. From birth, people are telling you no. Hundreds of thousands of times while growing up, you are told no, don’t, can’t, stop. Sometimes it is for your safety and benefit, but a lot of times it is holding you back. It is programming into your brain this train of negative thoughts.

Looking at your posts, you mention you are Type I Diabetes. Okay. Can you change that? No? Okay, let’s accept it and move on. Unless you want to use it as an excuse for why you stop. Or why you can’t. Or why you don’t.

It takes significant effort, it takes mental training, just as you do your physical training, to overcome the negative thoughts, the negative self-programming, to change your internal conversation and start thinking positive about yourself regardless of the conditions. You need to train your brain for success. Train your brain to be tough, even if you think it already is. We aren't born this way, it takes a focused, concerted effort. If you're serious, I suggest you pick up a copy of Gary Mack's "Mind Gym" and Jason Selk's "10 Minute Toughness."

Answer this question: Why do you want to be “boots on ground?” Is it to serve your community or your nation? Is it to prove something to yourself, or maybe somebody else? To overcome personal fear? What is the reason? All answers are valid, but you need to look deep inside yourself and determine what your reason is. Distill it down to one short, sweet sentence, and make that your mission, that is your purpose. Then, go get it, and don’t make excuses, ever.

You might not want to be a Navy SEAL, and certainly MSP training isn’t exactly BUD/S. But the concepts apply, especially if you want to be the very best you can possibly be at whatever you decide to do in life.

TEN HUT !!!!! THERE IS AN OFFICER ON DECK.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom