• Pistol only needed to get to rifle!

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    why bother learning to shoot with sights at all then? For that matter why bother putting sights on the gun?

Because - even if 70% of SD shootings take place at 5 feet in the dark, 30% don't.

Makes sense to me to train and be as effective as possible at a broad range of distances.

Because people like to shoot teeny tiny groups while standing still.
    You want to take self defense shots at 25 yards? If you have a 25 yard distance in your house, then good on ya :). Learn to draw and shoot fast using sights at 25 yards. Me, I'm not shooting anything self defense past 10-15 yards most likely.
    The thing about shooting, is that you need to know your limits.
    It's hard enough to master within 7-10 yards, let alone "other varying distances".

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Because people like to shoot teeny tiny groups while standing still.
    You want to take self defense shots at 25 yards? Then learn to draw and shoot fast using sights at 25 yards. Me, I'm not shooting anything self defense past 10-15 yards most likely.
    The thing about shooting, is that you need to know your limits.
    It's hard enough to master within 7-10 yards, let alone "other varying distances".

I am a big believer in combat effective shooting. I am not a bullseye shooter. If my groups are that tight, then I am going too slow. When I last did retention shooting at CMCT, I was under .5 seconds from the holster getting a shot into a torso at 3-7 yards. I have also done a fair bit of shooting on the move in classes and IDPA.

But I do believe in being able to hit a torso out to 25 yards if I want to. I am sure every agency and military trains for that as well - whether it is most likely to be needed or not. Should the need arise, I prefer to hit whatever I am aiming at as quick as possible. Odds of the need ever arising - small. Odds of need arising to point shoot a 3 yards - small. It's all a giant game of "what-if".

What I have learned from training is that shooting is way less critical than being able to think under stress. CMCT goes out of their way to stress you with noise, choas, misdirection, etc. It very quickly dissuades you of the illusion of being a bad-ass tactical ninja. I found I was lucky if I could recall my name. I could shoot, but knowing what is going on, where to go and what to do, well . . . . let's just says it is all quite humbling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom