30 days? Not exactly...or am I doing something wrong?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I purchased a regulated firearm March 18. Not disapproved March 25.

Go on the MSP Portal today (19th) to fill out application for secondary sale.

23. If you are NOT a designated collector: Have you purchased a regulated firearm within the past 30 days?

I answer NO because I purchased my last regulated firearm March 18.

"This Application can not be submitted until 04/26/2017." comes up on the bottom of the screen and I cannot go further.

Am I doing something wrong here? I was under the impression I would process this application using the portal, then go the barracks with pin#/application# just like purchasing from a shop. After getting not disapproved email on day 8, we could complete transaction.

Based on what the site is telling me, I cannot submit the application on the portal until the 26th which is 30 days from the "not disapproved" date. That means once I submit application on the 26th, wait til 8th day to complete transaction, it will have been 44 days since my last purchase and over 30 days since I took possession...This can't be correct.

I see the MSP FAQ:
    ​A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-Day period. You may complete more than one application within 30 days, however you may not transfer or take possession of more than one firearm within the 30 day period. Exceptions to this rule are listed on the Regulated Firearms Collector page.​

Mr H

Banana'd
    you may not transfer or take possession of more than one firearm within the 30 day period

This seems to be the sticking point (and also bad language in the law, IMO).

Think of it like this... a 'purchase' is not completed until transfer/possession occurs.

Now, imagine if you'd been on vacation for a week or two before taking possession of the first one. ;)

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Step 1: Get designated collectors form
    Step 2: fill out D.C. Form (it's free)
    Step 3: mail D.C. form back to MSP. Step 4: wait for MSP to approve and mail back D.C. letter.
    Step 5: buy all the guns you want and that your wallet and marriage can afford.

Problem solved

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    This seems to be the sticking point (and also bad language in the law, IMO).

Think of it like this... a 'purchase' is not completed until transfer/possession occurs.

Now, imagine if you'd been on vacation for a week or two before taking possession of the first one. ;)

I checked my prior app and see it was finalized on the 3/27 when I took possession. Even if I start app on 4/26 when it says I can, I wouldn't be able to take possession of new regulated firearm until 5/3...37 days from possession of my previous regulated handgun.

Yes I know the solution is becoming a designated collector ;)

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The purpose of the law is to throw as many obstacles in the path of legally purchasing regulated firearms as possible. Reason would suggest you could submit as many applications as possible, with the not disapproved notices be doled out at 30 day intervals. Doesn't work that way, does it?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The new system should allow the start of the next purchase, but not send the Not Disapproved email until 30 days after the last pick up.

Send them an email. They may not know that the system is doing this.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Sent an email to MSP Licensing. Just want to see their thoughts.

Also, getting collectors app notarized tomorrow as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom