• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbgormley

Sep 23, 2016
    Good Afternoon Gents

I moved from Texas to MD (Regret it). I want to buy another hand gun, but the laws up here are wack AF.
    Ive heard from some folks if you take the hunter safety course they dont make you take the HQL course.... can anyone shed some light on this for me please

Thank you

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good Afternoon Gents

I moved from Texas to MD (Regret it). I want to buy another hand gun, but the laws up here are wack AF.
    Ive heard from some folks if you take the hunter safety course they dont make you take the HQL course.... can anyone shed some light on this for me please

Thank you

You can use an already owned handgun as an exemption to the training class also

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Good Afternoon Gents

Thank you

The answer to your question is yes. The hunter saftey course does satisfy the HQL training requirement. That said, the training requirenment should be waived if you owned a regualted firearm prior to Oct 1, 2013. You would only need to confirm if purchasing it prior to that date prior to be a MD resident will suffice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    See how crazy Maryland gun laws are?!?

Everything above is true, we're just splitting hairs, and it depends on what exactly you are asking. Can you elaborate a bit more?

For example: Are you mil/LEO, former, or reserve? Do you own a handgun before October 1, 2013? Are you in one of the occupations listed above? Are you a prohibited person? What training do you already have, or are you interested in training even if it's not 'required'?

Thx!

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I feel your pain. I am retired Military so I don't have to jump through that hoop. Changing your TX CCW permit is easy though. Just inform them of your address change and they will zip one out to you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Inst there also the voluntary registration of already purchased regulated firearms? Welcome to "the Free state".

Not voluntary if someone moves into Maryland on or after 10/1/13.

They have 90 days to register their appropriate firearms.

"Voluntary" registration is for residents, when they purchase any regulated firearm. The 77r has a statement, that by filling out and submitting the 77r, you "voluntarily" register the firearm. There is NO way to opt out, other than by not purchasing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not voluntary if someone moves into Maryland on or after 10/1/13.

They have 90 days to register their appropriate firearms.

"Voluntary" registration is for residents, when they purchase any regulated firearm. The 77r has a statement, that by filling out and submitting the 77r, you "voluntarily" register the firearm. There is NO way to opt out, other than by not purchasing.

I don't think this has ever been answered. Does anyone know what happens if someone decides for some reason to register after 90 days of becoming a resident? Say a year after or years.

Penalty,fine,crime? Won't allow registry?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I don't think this has ever been answered. Does anyone know what happens if someone decides for some reason to register after 90 days of becoming a resident? Say a year after or years.

Penalty,fine,crime? Won't allow registry?

That made me curious and I could find nothing anywhere. I emailed MSP Licensing Division and was told that there was no penalty.

Good morning,

Some friends and I were discussing some of Maryland's gun laws and the subject of the voluntary registration came up. None of us could find out what the penalty would be for a new resident failing to register a firearm within 90 days of establishing residency.

Is there somewhere in the Maryland.gov web page that we could find this out?

Thank you,

Matt

Sgt. Jason Edwards (State Police) <jason.edwards@maryland.gov> Today at 10:55 AM
    To
    xxxxxxxmatt28@yahoo.com

The Maryland Legislature passed this requirement without associating a penalty for a new resident failing to register their regulated firearms.

Thank you,

Sergeant Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit
    Operations Supervisor
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208

Office: 410-653-4508
    Fax: 410-653-4036

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    That made me curious and I could find nothing anywhere. I emailed MSP Licensing Division and was told that there was no penalty.

Good morning,

Some friends and I were discussing some of Maryland's gun laws and the subject of the voluntary registration came up. None of us could find out what the penalty would be for a new resident failing to register a firearm within 90 days of establishing residency.

Is there somewhere in the Maryland.gov web page that we could find this out?

Thank you,

Matt

Sgt. Jason Edwards (State Police) <jason.edwards@maryland.gov> Today at 10:55 AM
    To
    xxxxxxxmatt28@yahoo.com

The Maryland Legislature passed this requirement without associating a penalty for a new resident failing to register their regulated firearms.

Thank you,

Sergeant Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit
    Operations Supervisor
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208

Office: 410-653-4508
    Fax: 410-653-4036

This is classic. I can see the smile on the Sergeants face as he was typing this.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    This is classic. I can see the smile on the Sergeants face as he was typing this.

I know as I was reading it I thought "well, this is twice I've emailed MSP for firearms related questions, maybe I should buy a new deadbolt for the door".

:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom