• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...more-judge-denies-bail-simple-gun-possession/

A man was arrested on Saturday with two other people in a car in Highlandtown. A patrol officer stopped the car after saying he saw and smelled someone smoking marijuana.

“They pull the car over. My client is in the back seat,” said Tony Garcia, defense attorney for the 18-year-old man.

Police searched the car and found a .22-caliber handgun with six live cartridges under the front passenger seat. Nothing illegal was found on his person, police said.

But because he was in the car, the man was charged with two counts of illegal gun possession . . .

At a bail hearing Monday, [defense attorney] Garcia argued that the 18-year-old man has no criminal record and no reason not be released on $10,000 bail. But prosecutors argued for no bail to be set, and Judge Joan Gordon [no picture found] agreed, invoking the city’s crime rate in keeping the man in custody.

“We are in a situation where our murder rate is, last time I looked over the weekend, it was 187, and the violence in our community now with guns, the risk to public safety is so extreme that I am going to keep bail the same,” Gordon said.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    WBAL had such a misleading headline...something like Judge throws the book at defendant in gun case.

They didn't throw the book at him...he hasn't even been sentenced yet. He was just denied bail and considering how screwed up the bail system is in this state right now it is of no surprise.

If more people actually had "the book thrown at them" in Baltimore the streets would actually be safer...much safer than throwing millions of dollars into the Safe Street program that the delegation constantly request. The same Safe Street program where one of their offices were raided with guns and drugs. You'd think that would be enough to defund them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know how I feel about this. Having a son who is 21 and rides with friends as much as they ride with him, I would have to worry if that were my son. Not knowing enough about the situation, it's difficult to understand the judge's ruling. Is there more to this story? Maybe. Is this a judge who has decided that there will be zero tolerance in his courtroom?

I was always under the impression that the driver was responsible for anything in the vehicle. I guess I was wrong.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Moral of the story: stay away from drugs, and you will not attract attention to yourself.

You can tell a lot about a young person, by those whom they choose to associate with.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    He's not the driver, but in the back seat and he is denied bail? I'd say the 2 in the front seat deserved to have bail restricted but not the one in the back seat IMO.
    I don't know what constitutes valid reasons for denying bail but so long as the judge followed the rule of law and applied it across the board, I support it. If he did not, well...

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    He's not the driver, but in the back seat and he is denied bail? I'd say the 2 in the front seat deserved to have bail restricted but not the one in the back seat IMO.
    I don't know what constitutes valid reasons for denying bail but so long as the judge followed the rule of law and applied it across the board, I support it. If he did not, well...

Just spit-balling here, but is it possible he had the gun on him and was hiding it as the cop approached (which he saw)? Seems odd that he was charged an not the other two.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    Looks like we only have the defendant's story, which is of course, true or not, "not my gun, don't know anything about it". I'm hoping the officer had a substantial reason for linking it to the guy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The charges will be dropped because they are too hard to prove.

Smelled pot, but did not find any? If the police smell pot in Baltimore, then they should be damn sure to turn off the body cams and plant it. :rolleyes:

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    Looks like we only have the defendant's story, which is of course, true or not, "not my gun, don't know anything about it". I'm hoping the officer had a substantial reason for linking it to the guy.

I feel like something is missing. Did the guys up front have drugs/paraphernalia? Why else focus on just this kid?

Assuming the guys up front have additional drug charges (to a gun charge) and this kid is guilty of choosing bad friends (no drug charge), then yeah he is getting screwed hard.

If only this kid is getting the gun charge, then we need more info to evaluate.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    police most likely asked each individual who owned the gun.
    all say no= all go to jail.
    the one who says it was his goes to jail.
    the question is: was the firearm in "easy access"?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes, much better this passenger take up a jail cell so some weekend they can kick loose someone OR who has committed a violent crime because there's no room.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I feel like something is missing. Did the guys up front have drugs/paraphernalia? Why else focus on just this kid?

Assuming the guys up front have additional drug charges (to a gun charge) and this kid is guilty of choosing bad friends (no drug charge), then yeah he is getting screwed hard.

If only this kid is getting the gun charge, then we need more info to evaluate.

I'm curious to see if any more info comes out...

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    I have seen this occur in other situations involving smell of drugs and guns. If no one claims it everybody goes or if there was something else that grabbed attention. Could have been mouthy.

Mr H

Banana'd
    At first blush, I'm going to say that it seems like there's more in play.

The firearm possession is a misdemeanor. Something else is going on.

In the car with RAS for drugs and the gun is discovered... I wonder what other factors are weighing in here?!

Also, it sounds like another case of reporting getting in the way of journalism.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    They left the part out that he is a Minor in possession. Charged with that as well.
    Looks like Female in the group charged with same stuff, plus a BB Gun charge. but got a 25k Bail/bond.
    The third person, male is also still in jail Held without bail.
    Once they trace the gun, probably stolen... we will see.

This is of course if I am reading the Case Search info correctly.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just spit-balling here, but is it possible he had the gun on him and was hiding it as the cop approached (which he saw)? Seems odd that he was charged an not the other two.

Looks to me all 3 were charged. But I am not a professional I am only analyzing the info I find.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    article reads: [Note: no marijuana was found in the car.]

The article also doesn't mention the manner that the gun was being transported. Was it in a bag or holster? If it wasn't loaded then maybe this was even a legal transport if they were on their way to the range or gunsmith.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I have a question about his charges. They found one gun in the car and he gets two counts of illegal gun possession. How does that work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom