• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    IF a firearm has any kind of stock allowing it to be fired from the shoulder, it can't a pistol.

A buffer tube can be shoulder fired. That doesn't make it a butt stock. If the device towards your body is designed to be a butt stock, it's a rifle. If it's not designed to be a butt stock, then it's a pistol.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Pistol braces seem to follow the Maryland HBAR rule: If its marketed by the maker as a pistol brace, it is one.

As far as I can tell, most "pistol braces" and buffer tubes can be shouldered. Many I have seen are darn near close to being "stocks."

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Isn't that what I said? I said any kind of STOCK. A buffer tube is not a stock right?

I misunderstood. You said "allowing it to be shoulder fired." I assumed you meant any device that can be shouldered. Technically you could shoulder a Glock. It would be difficult, but could be done... LOL

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Buy 2 one 9mm ,and one 5.56; make one a pistal and one a rifle. I was told you buy 2 a month.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a ar15 pistal can have "the evil features " that the 2013
    Said no to; and can be set up with a rifle length barrel?

You’d want to build both as pistols and then in to whatever you want. At first a pistol and it can always go back to a pistol. If first a rifle, only ever a rifle it can be per the ATF.

Also it is one item on a 77r every 30 days or two in 60. The two at once is supposedly only for sales and a few other excuses, but most dealers it seems to be 2 at once is fine, but MSP is going to stop you if you try another purchase within 60 days then.

Or get a designated collectors license and you can purchase as many as often as you want (you’ll still have to wait 7 days from submitting the 77r till pickup).

hermfro

Jan 23, 2017
    Severn, MD
    If anyone recent is viewing this. I went to Hanover Armory and pulled out my 77r pin for the lower. He said it’s cash and carry. When he did the background check it was deemed “delayed”. He said if they don’t call back in 4 days it’s automatically mine due to a law. Went to On Target in Severn the same afternoon and asked them they said it’s a 7 day wait...I don’t lol when I find I’ll ill update.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    MSP has said that stripped lowers require a 77r if they are sold as an other. Failure to do that can cause major problems.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MSP has said that stripped lowers require a 77r if they are sold as an other. Failure to do that can cause major problems.

Yes. And Stripped lowers transferred as "others" are 5.56 capable. Any other AR type lower that is dedicated to any other caliber IS cash and carry as long as the perspective buyer passes a NICS search.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

That is their "guidance" on stripped lowers after 10/2013. But how they stated it was more of "Either you do it my way, or you will be in serious trouble, because we will nitpick your license away." kind of statement.

Legally stripped lowers do not have to be on a 77r, post 10/2013.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    So to add my 2 cents to the conversation. A little off topic but along the same lines. I am looking to get a AR style pistol and called two different FFLs to see if they would transfer a ATI Milsport 9mm carbine with the 16" barrel. One said it was banned and the other said it was OK. They both did some sort of research on the MDSP website before answering. I am sure if I called the one back that said it was banned, I would get a different answer if I talked to another person that worked there.:confused::banghead::crazy:

At this point, I am looking into 80% polymer lowers and think I will build my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom