• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I sent in an application to purchase postmarked on 9/21/16. I'm sure it would have reached Anniston before the 28th-- Does CMP have any rules as to "stop taking orders dates" and orders that were in the mail before the stop taking orders date. Do they go by postmarks?
    Just wondering?

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    You should be fine. it is generally understood that the CMP staff keeps track of orders in hand, makes an estimate of how many more they'll receive, then establishes a cut-off date for new orders based on available inventory.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Wow. I put off ordering in the past and regretted it. This time I made it on time. My order was processed on 9/21. Just waiting for shipping now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Poop,
    Did not send my paperwork out.
    Lesson learned. I'll have to get it ready now to send in later.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Looks like they stopped taking orders for Service grade and opened ordering for Special Winchester models yesterday.
    I have a service grade waiting to be shipped now.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, mine was delivered this morning. The stock looks like it is pretty new. Only two little nicks on top in front of the receiver. Otherwise perfect. Receiver looks pretty good too. Barrel has some marks; but all in all not bad for an authentic 70 year old gun. Based on the serial number, it was made in June 1945 by Springfield.

Barrel tag indicates that the Muzzle = 1 and the throat = 2+

Barrel markings: SA 6535448 1 83 Y10 P M
    Looks like it was made in Jan 1983

I'm new to the M1; so any input would be appreciated. I'm pretty happy to get this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20161003_093428386.jpg
      IMG_20161003_093428386.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 1,006

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Well, mine was delivered this morning. The stock looks like it is pretty new. Only two little nicks on top in front of the receiver. Otherwise perfect. Receiver looks pretty good too. Barrel has some marks; but all in all not bad for an authentic 70 year old gun. Based on the serial number, it was made in June 1945 by Springfield.

I'm new to the M1; so any input would be appreciated. I'm pretty happy to get this one.

Beautiful rifle - Congratulations:D

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    The title of this thread makes me want to ask the question - will their be any more Service grades that will become available? I was planing to order sometime this month, so hopefully they will

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Hard to say. Right now they have Special Grade in Winchester models and some sniper models. I ordered the Service Grade after they popped up around 8/23 and they took them down last week. I would call and ask if they have and idea. From what I hear, they are all becoming extremely slim.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Just got off the phone with them, she said that the didn't anticipate any service grade rifles coming through anytime soon and that they only have the Special Grade models.

Is this something that is relatively normal? Like they have a batch and then it gets sold out, and then they get another batch? I am sure they quantities of product are beginning to Dwindle

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Just got off the phone with them, she said that the didn't anticipate any service grade rifles coming through anytime soon and that they only have the Special Grade models.

Is this something that is relatively normal? Like they have a batch and then it gets sold out, and then they get another batch? I am sure they quantities of product are beginning to Dwindle

Is it normal? Has been the last few years, but it seems to be more frequent lately. Word is they are getting close to the end (ie no more Garands for sale). They had orders shut down all spring and most of the summer if I remember correctly so there was a big pent up demand when they opened them up in Aug (I think it was Aug) again. Now they are running out again. Is it the end or is it that they are falling behind or the last few big crates they have opened and prepped ended up being field or rack grades. Your guess is as good as mine.

As an FYI, over on the CMP forums the word is (and confirmed by Mark J, the man in charge of CMP) is that there will be Rack Grades available soon via mail order. Been awhile since that happened. I personally think they are pretty risky and prefer Field and Service Grades myself, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The fact that CMP has gone from 12 to 8 rifles/year indicates they are running a little low...but I'll think they are really running out when they go to 1 per year.

OTOH, somebody might be thinking that if they run out of Garands, they might be able to get access to other firearms.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The fact that CMP has gone from 12 to 8 rifles/year indicates they are running a little low...but I'll think they are really running out when they go to 1 per year.

OTOH, somebody might be thinking that if they run out of Garands, they might be able to get access to other firearms.

Every rifle after the Garand was a machine gun so doubt it will be US.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

You got a good one. I never heard of a Jan '83 barrel though. I look forward to more information from someone who knows.

That looks like a new replacement stock. I may benefit from some minor wood removal if for instance, the op rod is dragging (one of mine was dragging badly).

It wants some oil rubbed in, either linseed oil or pure tung oil.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    You got a good one. I never heard of a Jan '83 barrel though. I look forward to more information from someone who knows.

That looks like a new replacement stock. I may benefit from some minor wood removal if for instance, the op rod is dragging (one of mine was dragging badly).

It wants some oil rubbed in, either linseed oil or pure tung oil.
    That's the info I wanted to hear. The take markings I think said 63 for the barrel perhaps? There is a marking of 1 83 on barrel. I assumed is meant 1983. I'm a novice. I can send the complete stamping g from the barrel when I get home.

Thanks

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Keystone, when did you mail your order?

I mailed mine Sept 15 and have not heard anything. Folks on the CMP forum were talking about backorder messages starting with orders from Sept 6.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you were around when they ran out of 03's and then when they ran out of carbines this is starting to feel the same except that there are a lot more customers now.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Keystone, when did you mail your order?

I mailed mine Sept 15 and have not heard anything. Folks on the CMP forum were talking about backorder messages starting with orders from Sept 6.
    I think it was around 8/30

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom