• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I've been looking for an alternative to my Howard Leight amplified earmuffs. They're not real comfortable, hot in the summer and often in the way.

I saw Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs on Amazon with a lot of good reviews and a claimed NRR of 31 for $25.99 and decided to give them a try. I also bought a lanyard to tie them together for an extra $5.99.

Bottom Line - They don't provide anywhere near the noise reduction of my muffs. I wore them to Cresap on a Sunday morning and was really glad I brought the muffs along.

The molding process was simple and it seemed like a good idea, but not enough for shooting.

I figured for $32 it's a failed experiment on my part and no big deal. They kept bugging me for feedback and when I gave it to them they asked me to return them, which I did and was promptly refunded. I wish the product had been as good as the customer service.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That's too bad.

I have a set and like them. The nrr is similar to my earmuffs, but I wish there was an electronic version. Maybe they work for some ear shapes but not others? Did you use the rubber or foam insert?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's too bad.

I have a set and like them. The nrr is similar to my earmuffs, but I wish there was an electronic version. Maybe they work for some ear shapes but not others? Did you use the rubber or foam insert?

I’ve been eyeing up the ones with the passive filters for hunting. But I am worried it muffles things too much. From what I can find, it looks like about a 9dB average NRR, but very little on low frequency sounds (about 2-4). When a loud enough sound happens and the passive footer clamps down on the noise it is something like a 30NRR.

The filter versions are $75 though. So not cheap to test out.

Mostly I’d like something comfortable to wear all day that is going to leave my hearing mostly untouched for hunting. I am rarely in a position to slip in ear plugs before taking a shot. I’ll wear muffs with electronics for waterfoul, but no such ability for deer hunting.

The Walker Razor in ear looks interesting, but they don’t work while recharging and appear to only have about a 6hr battery life. That’s fine for the range, but less than half of what I’d need for hunting. I can recharge from a USB battery pack, but the fact I’d have no ear pro for (I am guessing) and hour or two while they recharge is a hard no.

Seems silly the battery life isn’t longer. They are $80+ and only have a 600ma rechargeable battery in them. Going for 1200ma for “all day” 12hr battery life would add very little weight, bulk or cost (maybe $2-3)

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    That's too bad.

I had read that the foam inserts had the most noise reduction, so used them. Didn't try the rubber inserts, except for the initial fitting. The fit seemed really good and I noticed that pressing in on them made no real difference in sound.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    head set overs

I use these on my Leights. Keeps you cool in winter and warm in summer. See picture below. Saw an airplan pilot with them at IDPA. Work great and last forever

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/fabric-ear-cushion-covers-for-david-clark-h10-series-pair.html

Fabric Ear Cushion Covers (for David Clark H10 Series-Pair)
    1721A
    $10.00

I've been looking for an alternative to my Howard Leight amplified earmuffs. They're not real comfortable, hot in the summer and often in the way.

I saw Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs on Amazon with a lot of good reviews and a claimed NRR of 31 for $25.99 and decided to give them a try. I also bought a lanyard to tie them together for an extra $5.99.

Bottom Line - They don't provide anywhere near the noise reduction of my muffs. I wore them to Cresap on a Sunday morning and was really glad I brought the muffs along.

The molding process was simple and it seemed like a good idea, but not enough for shooting.

I figured for $32 it's a failed experiment on my part and no big deal. They kept bugging me for feedback and when I gave it to them they asked me to return them, which I did and was promptly refunded. I wish the product had been as good as the customer service.

Attachments

• 11701_3.jpg
      11701_3.jpg
      6.8 KB · Views: 201

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018

I bought some too, haven't tried them yet. If you can find some cheap In Ear Monitors (IEM) like the musicians wear, they're pretty helpful. I mean real IEM, not ear buds that come with a cell phone. When I wear IEM, they muffle out people talking pretty good. They come with a cable, and it wraps behind the ear. I suppose you could cut it, or leave it so you can hang them on your neck when not in use. Pretty sure they make IEM style ear plugs too, just not sure which brand they are. Some may be need to be molded.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I use these on my Leights. Keeps you cool in winter and warm in summer. See picture below. Saw an airplan pilot with them at IDPA. Work great and last forever

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/fabric-ear-cushion-covers-for-david-clark-h10-series-pair.html

1721A
    $10.00
    Will try those. My head sweats like crazy under the muffs in summer. Thanks!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have used the Decibulz for a couple of years for shotgun sports--they are not muffs but the noise reduction seems fine to me - did you try the different size ear canal inserts on them?

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have the percussion filter version and really like them. I find them great for shotgun and pistol shooting. I have almost always doubled up and worn plugs and muffs when on a rifle line because of rifle breaks and other shooters so I find the filters to be great because they pass the sound from my electronic muffs very well. The plugs are also a lot more comfortable when it's hot outside.

I think the percussive filters are actually better than electronic muffs (isolation wise) but I do wear glasses and I find that muffs don't seal a well with glasses. I also bought the lanyard with the full plugs (no filter) and personally think they provide better isolation than foam pugs. Do use the foam inserts on the decibullz rather than the rubber ones.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I have used the Decibulz for a couple of years for shotgun sports--they are not muffs but the noise reduction seems fine to me - did you try the different size ear canal inserts on them?

I only used the foam inserts, which were supposed to provide the greatest noise reduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom