• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I was shocked to find that there isn't a "pumps vs autos" thread here, at least not according to the search function.

I've only had experience with autos, except for BB guns, but I keep hearing about using pumps for self defense.

As I understand it if you go back in time autos could be quite unreliable, but these days they seem to have pretty well sorted that out.

And in the unlikely event of a jam how much faster is one really with a pump vs a large sized bolt handle?

I also hear a lot about the sound. But it seems you either have to leave it empty or toss a shell if you want it. Also a bolt slamming home on an auto is quite a sound as well.

Of course even a small increase in reliability and clearing speed would be worth it if there were no drawbacks.

However it seems like it would be all too easy to short stroke the thing in a home defense situation. Yeah you can train with the thing. But how often are you going to have your buddy shoot you and then practice taking nice proper strokes? Even before that, people get weird when groggy, when going through a fight or flight response, and when having to consider tons of factors at once. Home defense has a way of combining all of those.

Actually if someone is feeling really macho I'd be curious how well you operate the thing with snap caps if your buddy gets to throw body punches from the side or rear until you fire it four times properly.

The second issue is speed. With an auto the follow up shots are fast and accurate. A pump would seem to significantly slow one's rate of fire. If some drugged up maniac is rushing you Tueller style so you've got 1.5 seconds how many accurate shots are you getting off? I'm not going to worry overmuch about the reliability on my third shot if the alternative is not even getting to take one.

Finally it would seem that things like doorknobs or having to pull a family member behind you would suddenly become huge problems.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Reliability and affordability are very important and I think those are two of the biggest reasons why pumps are so popular for HD. Semi auto shotguns can cost more than double what a good pump action costs and with some practice you can shoot pumps pretty fast. Some people even use .22's for HD, it's really all about personal preference.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pumps are cheap. You can get a reliable pump shotgun for $300, less if it's used. A good, reliable semi-auto shotgun starts at $500 and goes up. If I were going to use a shotgun for HD, my 11-87P would be my choice.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    Saiga 12 loaded with buckshot in one room, 870 loaded with buckshot in the other, I'll grab whichever one is closest when the zombies come... My preference would be for the Saiga though.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    i went with the pump for reliability. I have an older mossberg that I put a pistol grip(easier maneuverability in the house) and side shell holder on. Also as far as second shots, theoretically you are in going to be close quarters, so getting a good shot with some 00 buck is going to keep them back long enough to cycle for another round. I have an 18" barrel on it

plus the sound of a round being loaded in a pump is a universal sound that could along keep the bad guys away.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I switched from a Mossberg Tactical Pump (18.5") to a Benelli Semi-Auto (21") for home protection. The Benelli is a wood 'practical' shotgun. I have a 28" barrel for skeet and for bird hunting, in addition to the 21" barrel. It gets used more than the Tactical which basically sat in the safe and only came out 4 times a year for range time.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I hate to say it, but I can't think of a single semi-auto HD gun that I'd recommend and costs less than $1000 out the door. Yes, you can't put a price on self-defense, etc, etc, but unless you're willing to plunk down a lot of money, you can't get the reliability of a pump gun out of an autoloader. Autoloaders are also ammo sensitive and significantly less likely to function if treated the way that many people treat their HD pumps. And even if price is no object, imported autos have to comply with 922r, which is a total PITA. I completely fail to see the point of shelling out $1600 to buy a Benelli M4 with it's massive four round magazine. I don't care how reliable it is. Why does it hold fewer shells than an equally reliable $200 Mossberg?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I also hear a lot about the sound. But it seems you either have to leave it empty or toss a shell if you want it. Also a bolt slamming home on an auto is quite a sound as well.

plus the sound of a round being loaded in a pump is a universal sound that could along keep the bad guys away.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum and I am not sure how to politely respond. Please do not take any offense if this comes across as harsh.

I did not buy a shotgun to scare someone away with the sound of the pump. If I wanted to do that, I would have bought a sound effects CD.

If there is any threat to my family, a shell is already chambered and the shotgun is ready to go. I couldn't care less if the threat hears the racking of the slide.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    as already noted, people are concerned with cost (rightfully so, as you may lose your gun at least temporarily as "evidence") since none of us have unlimited funds. Those that do not love to shoot are NOT going to blow a month's pay or more on a HD shotgun.

I own both an 1100 and an 870. I've shot both extensively and am comfortable with either (they are modfied for me and my shooting style) for social purposes. I would, on balance, take the 870. Simplicity is beauty in a time is life situation. even under "stress" i haven't had a short stroke problem. In fact, I tend (like most i've seen) to run the action harder under simulated stress. I recommend pumps because most people's fine motor controls take a dump under real stress. you can run through the magazine on a semi REALLY fast, yeah, but my (lightly tuned) 1100 has been doubled by more than one person that i've allowed to shoot it. I am responsible for every shot I fire, as is any responsible gun owner. I would rather use a pump just in case. I can clear any malfunction in a pump (other than a ripped off case head/rim) faster.

I prefer to shoot a semi for fun, but my 870 is the shotgun I keep ready for action.

It is all personal preference. We are responsible for our own firearm choices, every round we fire, and, ultimately, our own safety.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You likely wont need a follow up shot with a 12 ga unless there are multiple intruders. As mentioned there is no affordable Semi Auto shotgun thats reliable and durable out of the box unless you want to spend 1200 plus.

Mossberg 590 is the best pump made IMO.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    You likely wont need a follow up shot with a 12 ga unless there are multiple intruders. As mentioned there is no affordable Semi Auto shotgun thats reliable and durable out of the box unless you want to spend 1200 plus.

Mossberg 590 is the best pump made IMO.

What's your definition of reliable and durable? Just wondering because there's a few of us here who are pretty happy with the Mossberg 930SPX.

Granted, I still have a 590 just in case. GC was selling it for $200, how was I gonna say no? :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What's your definition of reliable and durable? Just wondering because there's a few of us here who are pretty happy with the Mossberg 930SPX.

Granted, I still have a 590 just in case. GC was selling it for $200, how was I gonna say no? :D

SPX is a budget auto at best. Cheap plastic op rod, cant do slug changeovers, and Ive seen several for function issues. I considered buying one but the constant issues I see made me reconsider. The slug changeover issue is a killer for me too.

Mossberg is terrible at doing autos IMHO. Their strong suit is the 500/590.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I feel like you are NOT going to short stroke it in an HD scenario. People under stress would use more muscle and work the action harder then they normally would.

I don't know that pumps have to have a slower ROF then an auto either. Atleast not for me. I'm kinda tiny so 12's take a little time to get back on target.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    SPX is a budget auto at best. Cheap plastic op rod, cant do slug changeovers, and Ive seen several for function issues. I considered buying one but the constant issues I see made me reconsider. The slug changeover issue is a killer for me too.

Mossberg is terrible at doing autos IMHO. Their strong suit is the 500/590.

Well why the hell didn't you tell me that before I bought one, ya jackwagon?

No more "dessert" out back of the Outback for you!

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    What's everyone think of a benelli m3 super 90? I picked one up super cheap last year and love it but everything I read about is about the m1,m2,m4. What's everyone's take on reliability of the m3. Btw I only paid $350 with mag extender and ghost ring sights. I have only shot it a few times ands it's functioned flawlessly.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Short stroke??? Likely wont happen. As stated if anything you'll pull way to hard and actually pull the front bead off target.

Gladly take a 870 with the right ammo into nearly any HD situation. In fact it's the first long gun in my safe.

Pumps are simple, reliable, cheap, and easy to teach someone how to use.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What's everyone think of a benelli m3 super 90? I picked one up super cheap last year and love it but everything I read about is about the m1,m2,m4. What's everyone's take on reliability of the m3. Btw I only paid $350 with mag extender and ghost ring sights. I have only shot it a few times ands it's functioned flawlessly.

Pretty much any Benelli is going to be a great gun. At $350 you got a good deal. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom