• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerRedbone

Jan 19, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I spoke with my FFL today and she told me she COULD technically transfer my gun to me on the 8th day but MSP strongly advises against it. Just thought I'd mention it. I had been told recently that MSP were not allowing FFLs to do the NICS check and transfer after the 7 day period but this is not the case.

And before anyone asks no I don't think she will transfer to me before the paperwork comes back.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I spoke with my FFL today and she told me she COULD technically transfer my gun to me on the 8th day but MSP strongly advises against it. Just thought I'd mention it. I had been told recently that MSP were not allowing FFLs to do the NICS check and transfer after the 7 day period but this is not the case.

And before anyone asks no I don't think she will transfer to me before the paperwork comes back.

She's wrong.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Nics won't give the ffl the approval if it's a regulated firearm in md. Only msp can get the approval there. Your ffl needs to do some research, that could end up bad for her if she tries to do that. I've tried.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Nics won't give the ffl the approval if it's a regulated firearm in md. Only msp can get the approval there. Your ffl needs to do some research, that could end up bad for her if she tries to do that. I've tried.

^ this. It's called the Brady bill and it requires dealers to do a background check. A NTN # is given to dealers by FBI NICS. In MD, MSP is the middle man between NICS and dealers on all regulated transfers.

Now, if YOU (non-FFL) sold joe blow a gun and met him at a MSP barrack, you could transfer the gun on the 8th day if you haven't heard back from MSP.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    It was 4 weeks for me last Wednesday, so e-mailed the FFL on Friday after a phone call failed to get through. They responded Saturday, telling me they are getting in Jan 11 now and my Jan 16 date should only take another week or two!

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    This wait time is ridiculous. However, my ffl had paper work coming in from the 15 last Friday.
    I'm currently waiting on my paper work from the 25. I figure ill be getting my phone call next week.

I thought that too, until I learned a little about their process.

Apparently there are officers and civilians doing the processing. Their goal is to get DISAPPROVED out within 7 days. That implies that any that look good are 2nd priority.

Next, apparently there is a policy that if a civilian gets one that requires additional research, then those go to an officer for processing. It may be safe to assume that this officer already has their own stack to process, so the transferred one could be delayed.

My understanding is that for any give day applications from a week or more may be sent out - all depending on where in the process they were give the NOT DISAPPROVED.

Now add in that they had Fax trouble, had to put two new Fax machines on-line, and installed new computers that they may need to get used to and you have more factors to slow things down. I was totally against, but now that I know more about the process and that they are receiving 350 applications per day, I have to stand with them and continue to be patient.

My date is 1/16. I understand that apps from the 16th were started last Wednesday or Thursday and that those will be coming out over the next week. Seeing that Monday is a Holiday, I don't think much will be done that day.

I am not in the process, but just paying talking to lots of folks and I've put four guns into the system over the last 8 weeks. I had heard estimates of 5 weeks and it looks like well hit that this week, unfortunately.

New trainees should be in the process in about three weeks, so that should help. Although gun inventories are down in stores, sales must still be high since guns are coming in and the app count remains high.

:thumbsup: its the process that boggles the mind to me and since we are out of the loop it leaves the mind to wander. Thanks

45-70

Jan 23, 2013
    North Central MD
    1/16 still no call.

Between 5 week waits and shutting down gun shows, Maryland is doing pretty good in the gun control department. Not blaming the folks doing the checks, but the "folks in charge" don't seem to be too concerned.

Krabill

Oct 26, 2011
    purchased 1/14 from Gander Mnt,

Called 2 days ago said they were just getting back 1/3-4 paperwork, man its been a long wait

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    purchased 1/14 from Gander Mnt,

Called 2 days ago said they were just getting back 1/3-4 paperwork, man its been a long wait

I have had a problem with the Gander in salisbury not sending paperwork in. A few years ago I went in to check on my purchase and they said they only "reviewed and sent" applications on one day a week. I would hope, given the volume, that they have changed their process. I made a purchase there on the 14th of this month, so I'm not even thinking about it until the second week of March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom