• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    At Thurmont we shoot on the 4th Sunday of each month. It's probably less than 40 miles from your place. You can shoot your first match free to see if you like it.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    I've fallen in love with skeet (trap seems boring to me), so much so I just bought me a 28" O/U... luckily it was only $300.

I'll be at PG Trap and Skeet pretty much weekly now that I've discovered how much fun it is.

Can you aim me towards these $300 O/U shotguns?

Im about to start my winter "weekend only" job and need something to do weekday mornings and I think that skeet will be alot more fun than golf.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Can you aim me towards these $300 O/U shotguns?

Im about to start my winter "weekend only" job and need something to do weekday mornings and I think that skeet will be alot more fun than golf.

Interestingly, I've heard people describe skeet as pretty similar to golf... I don't play golf so I couldn't tell you but I can say guns make it 100x more awesome no matter what.

I snagged my Stoeger at Dicks, its got an automatic safety which annoys me but it was easy enough to remove. If you want to try it out I'm at PG T&S every other thursday for a game or two, you're welcome to come out, just let me know.

For a couple hundred more you can get the Spartan which is a little nicer, it has ejectors/extractors, where as my Stoeger is extractor only... but that doesn't bother me.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    Interestingly, I've heard people describe skeet as pretty similar to golf... I don't play golf so I couldn't tell you but I can say guns make it 100x more awesome no matter what.

I snagged my Stoeger at Dicks, its got an automatic safety which annoys me but it was easy enough to remove. If you want to try it out I'm at PG T&S every other thursday for a game or two, you're welcome to come out, just let me know.

For a couple hundred more you can get the Spartan which is a little nicer, it has ejectors/extractors, where as my Stoeger is extractor only... but that doesn't bother me.

Wow, what Dick's around here sells guns?

I would love to hit the range with you sometime, when is the next time you are going (this thursday or next thursday)?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

I would love to hit the range with you sometime, when is the next time you are going (this thursday or next thursday)?

Dick's in Gaithersburg (Washingtonian Center) carries shotguns and "sporting rifles." Nothing "evil," no handguns. Unless of course you want some low-grade Airsoft guns, they have plenty of those ;)

However, their selection of accessories is pretty weak. I was looking for a .40 cal bore brush once, didn't have anything to accomodate me. They do have decent deals on ammo and clays sometimes though.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village

this thursday, around 7:30... unless my buddy bails on me... although if you come he can bail and I'll still have someone to pull for me.

and yeah, dicks selection isn't great, but their shells go on sale pretty regularly.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    I would totally be down for this Thursday. PM, email or call me and we can make plans on where to meet and all that.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    So thanks to HoChiWaWa for taking me to shoot skeet yesterday, it was tons of fun and I had a blast.

That being said, Im going to head to the gun show this weekend to look for a cheap shotgun. Am I limited to O/U guns or will a sidebyside work as well?

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Side by Sides are fine, but O/Us are really the standard.

If you want to shoot at PG its got to be 28"+

I too had a blast, Hit 18 in the first game, which considering I've been doing this for only a couple months now is pretty good.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    I know a U/O is really the thing to get, but I have allways wanted a S/S and actually having a reason to get one might push me over the edge.

Im just going to go to the show and let fate decide it for me.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I know a U/O is really the thing to get, but I have allways wanted a S/S and actually having a reason to get one might push me over the edge.

Im just going to go to the show and let fate decide it for me.

One of the factors is that it's much tougher to get the barrels on a SxS to hit the same area than an O/U. This also leads to a good SxS being more expensive to make, therefore more expensive to buy. Still, I find something beautiful about SxS shotguns. A good one is definitely on my list of things to eventually get someday.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If I win the Grand Prize in the NRA sweepstakes, I'll have a Coach Gun (SxS) and 16 other quality firearms in my collection.... and the extreme need for a safe/vault in my home. lol..

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    How's that Sweepstakes work? Is active membership automatic entry?

I got the letter the other day. Of course they ask for a contribution, and different amounts will net you the typical "free gift" binoculars, hats, etc or whatever. You don't have to contribute to enter, just affix your stickers on the stuff you want. There are like 8 or 9 different levels of prizes, IIRC. Most are decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom