• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok...so I was at my wife's boss's house with her tonight (They work out of his house) and while helping her fix the printer I stumbled across 2 long guns in a closet. One was some kind of Japanese or Chinese bolt action rifle with no real markings on it (bore looked close to a .22lr, chamber was sized for something along a .223) and the other was a Remington model 48 in 12 gauge. Neither looked like they've been shot in decades.

Anyway, I think if I find the right way to approach it, I might be able to score both of these for a song....I know the guy doesn't hunt or shoot, and the guns are obviously not for home defense (YES, I cleared both before handling any further (both were empty), and there was no ammo nearby.) Also the dust and spot rust on them leads me to believe he has no real interest in them.

I looked on Gunbroker and saw one giong for $250 (no reserve) so I assume that this isn't a much sought after shotgun. Does anybody have any experience with this shotgun?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Also, the rifle had a nice bayonet with it. I snapped a few pictures with my camera phone but they didn't turn out so good. The one picture shows the only markings on the Asian rifle.

Attachments

• Johnson's pond 004.jpg
      Johnson's pond 004.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 157
    • Johnson's pond 005.jpg
      Johnson's pond 005.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 157
    • Johnson's pond 006.jpg
      Johnson's pond 006.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 158

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Remington model 48 in 12 gauge

Last week Norton, Sweet Pea, and I shot a round of trap. I used my Remington model 48, 12 gauge, Full choke. :)

The only note was, let the clay get out to 40 yds before fireing! :innocent0

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I can't see the markings or identify anything on the rifle pic, but I did a search on the bayonet and a possibility is the Japanese "type 30" without the hook quillon.
    http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/japtyp30.htm
    The Arisaka was 6.5mm so it is kinda close to .22, but a dead giveaway it is Japanese is it would have an imperial Chrysanthemum, or it would be scratched out. There were a few that were not marked with the Chrysanthemum and had concentric circles instead, but as blurry as the picture is it still doesn't appear so.

What kind of action is it? Does it look similar to a Mauser action?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not really a milsurp guy, so I didn't pay much attention to the type of action...plus it was kinda' dark. And I was in a hurry because I didn't want my wife to get mad about my gun-nuttyness. When pulling the bolt open, the fixed magazine rises up to lock the bolt back. The bolt will only move forward if 1)the gun is loaded. 2) You stick your finger in the chamber and manually depress the magazine.

The magazine couldn't hold more than 10 rounds and I'm inclined to think it would hold even less.

You're dead on with the bayonet though, so I'm 99% sure it's a Japanese rifle.

Great links you provided, thanks!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I am sure the Japanese had a major influence in the entire region, so another country may have used the same bayonet on their own rifle. Next chance you get look at the blade and see if there are prominent Japanese characters at the base right above the hilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom