• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    99 & 44/100%

Mark, you are much more confident on that score than I am. The chances that the court will grant cert in this or a similar case turn heavily, imho, on whether there is a direct conflict among the circuits. No conflict, then likely,no cert.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Mark, you are much more confident on that score than I am. The chances that the court will grant cert in this or a similar case turn heavily, imho, on whether there is a direct conflict among the circuits. No conflict, then likely,no cert.

So is that to say if all three judges vote the same way, no way will it go the the SC. but if two of the judges vote one way and the 3rd judge votes the other way there is a chance the case could go to the SC?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I can't help but think that Legg has already made his mind up long before all of these briefs. Briefs that did not do anything but restate the same, or more of the same that was talked about during the court case. I think all of this waiting and preparation on Legg's part now is him putting together his well thought out official ruling after giving both parties a chance to bring something new to the table that supported their side.

And/or he is also taking into account things like will the ya or na help or harm his future. When Judge Legg is at a dinner party with his peers, do you think he is hearing, "Way to go, we are with you on this one". Or do you think his peers are saying, "What are you nuts, what were you thinking"?

No way. His "peers" are other judges and the last thing these judges talk about at social occasions are their cases or seek to influence another judge informally. Not done. It would be insulting.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sorry, trying to do to much all at once.

What I meant to ask;

After the appeal with the 4th is over, is there a procedure the looser would have to do or papers that has to be filed to be on a list that the SC selects cases to hear?

petition for Cerriorari. That's it

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So is that to say if all three judges vote the same way, no way will it go the the SC. but if two of the judges vote one way and the 3rd judge votes the other way there is a chance the case could go to the SC?

It has no bearing. Cert is either granted or it isn't. Circuit judge voting has no bearing.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    But is there a process the looser that would like the SC to consider the case has to do to be on some list the SC selects from?

Anyone, either side, can Petition the Court. Pay your $400 with the clerk and move on.

The reality is that only 3-5% of all Petitions get granted Cert. There is no guarantee and unless it is a super high visibility case (Affordable Care Act) or you're a death row inmate seeking a commute on your sentence (habeus), the odds are small.

Only 75 merit cases were granted this term, from thousands of petitions, for reference.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

If there is a dissent, that is an invitation for seeking rehearing en banc before the whole CA4. Dissents are sometimes crafted to appeal to an en banc court and/or the SCT, sometimes not, but the SCT doesn't necessarily care -- it is still only one circuit. En banc criteria are applied strictly -- you need an intracircuit split, an intercircuit split or an issue of extraordinary importance, in that order of importance in terms of the likelihood of getting en banc review. The SCT doesn't care about intracircuit splits, just intercircuit splits and issues of extraordinary importance. BTW, *everyone* claims that their case presents an issue of extraordinary importance...... The Court usually just goes: "Yawn."

krucam

Ultimate Member

I'm cautiously optimistic of a favorable ruling here and/or in CA7. CA1/CA2/CA3/CA9...not so much.

Patrick will vouch that I love a little side betting as well. I should also warn I'm optimistic and have so far lost most bets... :innocent0

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm cautiously optimistic of a favorable ruling here and/or in CA7. CA1/CA2/CA3/CA9...not so much.

Patrick will vouch that I love a little side betting as well. I should also warn I'm optimistic and have so far lost most bets... :innocent0

Actually, that is pretty much my assessment as well. My guess is that the CA7 will be the first out of the gate with an actual decision on the issue. Moore is perfect for that. That could influence the other circuits substantially if we get a really good opinion. I have little faith in the CA2 or the CA3. I am a bit more optimistic for the CA1.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Actually, that is pretty much my assessment as well. My guess is that the CA7 will be the first out of the gate with an actual decision on the issue. Moore is perfect for that. That could influence the other circuits substantially if we get a really good opinion. I have little faith in the CA2 or the CA3. I am a bit more optimistic for the CA1.

I forgot to mention our friend Gray and his case in Denver (CA10). I'd be optimistic on this one as well if the Court could figure out the story, as they seem confused by it all. I also feel that once CA10 figures out the story, they'll just remand back to CO District to try again.

I hope I'm wrong...

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I forgot to mention our friend Gray and his case in Denver (CA10). I'd be optimistic on this one as well if the Court could figure out the story, as they seem confused by it all. I also feel that once CA10 figures out the story, they'll just remand back to CO District to try again.

I hope I'm wrong...

No, you are right. I listened to the tape 3 times. It was depressing.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

He is, and that's why we like him. That, and the last time he lost he had to buy me dinner. I say, "Keep up the good work!"

CA1/Hightower drew a bad panel. Three Dem appointees including one recent Obama appointee. Prospects dimmed when it was announced.

CA7 at least has some jurisprudence, as does CA4. Each crafted a pro-right set of guidelines that somewhat locks in certain philosophies that should hold barring an en banc review of some sort.

I'm still waiting for word from a little closer to home.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom