• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    This was in the early-mid 2000's
    My kids and I joined https://mdrocketry.org/
    We started with the Estes A-D sized motors, then bought some commercially available reloadable "F" and "G" casings and reloads.
    There were guys/gals mixing there own and making larger rockets.
    The key is the chemicals were NOT explosives, they burned slow enough not to be classified as explosives.
    One of the higher ups in BATFE got a woody and decided he was going swing his Johnson around. Declared all but the Estes sized motors were explosives and you need a explosives lic. even the small "D" and "E" and "F" size stuff we were flying.
    Of course they were challenged by the 2 large national Rocketry organizations,, And were clearly shown that the chemicals used are not classified as explosives, so they doubled down and said ANY amount of BP used is illegal (BP was used in minute amounts for the ejection charge.).
    We along with many people dropped out of rocketry, As I did not feel like going to jail over the kids hobby.
    Years later it took a couple Senators to smack this ass down, and there was an official letter sent saying "All Is Well"

That really surprises me.

There is actually a book out there on making model rocket motors.

also: https://makezine.com/projects/make-35/homemade-sugar-rocket/

yeah, banning sugar and poop would go over really well with the public. /rolleyes

for 3-5 years? never heard of this. And when and why did they stand down? I used to be into rocketry, but w estes rockets.

I've followed pyro forums and the gvmt cracking down on pyros is pretty much never mentioned, jumping through regulatory hoops sometimes, but rarely.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Oh, and when The Rocketry organizations won, the next day the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) started going after suppliers.
    While the suppliers had broken no laws, the CPSC tied them up with law suits and put them out of business, and ended up getting one owner on a "procedural" crime (not telling the truth) and he went to club fed.
    And people wonder why there is a 2nd A.

https://www.wired.com/2004/06/rocket-hobbyists-dropping-hobby/

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah on the rocketry thing. It sucks.

So the Bomb squad guy told me where I ****ed up was with the State Fire Marshal Office and that I should call and get compliant by calling some girl named Mary and jumping through some hoops to get my stuff back. I was willing to work with them to get legally complaint. She was pretty hostile and like **** YOU! We are stealing our property! FOREVER! :(

I'm pushing forward with my lawyer, even if it costs more then the chems did. I AM PISSED OFF!

Anyone else make fireworks or shoot black powder firearms? You should care a lot about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom