• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Soo... I am replacing my high round count GP100 4 inch (with eroded forcing cone) with a new 3 inch courtesy of Ruger warranty service.

I wanted a 3 inch and specifically requested it (handy, well know to be a good performer in 3 inch etc etc)

I still have a stash of two hot factory loads.
    -142gr Fiocchi , a known warm load FMJ (and which was 90% of the rounds fired thru my previous GP.. )
    -158 gr S&B (they made different batches of this grain .357 Mag this was the hotter one with 125gr like speeds)

But I am thinking.. now that I have a 3 inch barrel should I go for different ammo?

Maybe fast buring powders to take better advantage of the shorter barrel.
    Have no clue how fast or slow burning those 2 rounds listed above are... but since they are high velocity for their weight I presume slower burning?

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue or can recommend a good SD round for a 3 inch?

Or am I making too much of nothing and the 3 inch is still long enough to not have to worry about such?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    As a general rule, slow burning powders need ling barrels to achieve desired velocities. That said, I don't know anything about the specific rounds you mentioned. If you can find data on velocity vs barrel length (I've seen it for some ammo), you should be able to tell if the 1" difference will matter much.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Simple answer first- There are a myriad of factors that effect the actual velocities from a specific individual revolver. Bbl/ cylnder gsp, chamber and throat dimensions, etc . In the big picture usually balance out . But with a 1in difference they often will overlap. Once I had a particularly "fast" 4in .357 give higher vels than a "slow" 6 inch. Only your chronograph will know for sure.

Another simple answer - A desireable defensive load in a ( medium frame or larger) 3in .357 will be the same load you consider desireable in a 4in.

Moving on - The slow burning powders that give highest vels in longer will also give highest vels in short bbls. The differences will be smaller in shorter bbls. The side effects of slow powders such as muzzle blast, noise, fireballs, etc will be more pronounced . For these reasons you may subjectively prefer a faster powder.

And additionally - The question of errosion has a lot more factors than fast vs slow . Flame temperature, chemical composition, and proportions of un/partially burned solids passing through throat and forcing cone . The common comparison widely enough known to be common knowledge is W296/H110 having less errosion than 2400 .

Still further - Jacketed bullets will have more errosion than gas checked cast, which in turn have more than plain base cast.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pretty much any load will loose velocity in a shorter barrel, but heavier bullets use lighter charge weights, and stay in the barrel longer, meaning they burn more of the powder, and tend to have less flash/noise. The greater momentum(not energy) also tends to help expanding ammo perform more consistently, and penetrate deeper. Only real downside is usually cost and they may hit further from the point of aim than a midweight or lightweight bullet

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also what Alucard said.

Except I will expand on his last point. Different bullet weights will have * different * points of impact. ( Heavier hit higher, lighter hit lower.)

But since we are speaking of .38/.357 , 158gr IS the "normal" weight . Fixed sight revolvers will be regulated for 158gr, 130, 125, 110gr will hit low . Adjustable sights is not an issue to get zero'ed, just have to be aware when changing ammo .

During the tail end of the Revolver Era , the 158gr Lead HP +P waa probably the single most popular issued Duty Ammo ( and an excellent option to this day) , and was usable in fixed sight revolvers as is. But the next two most common Duty Loads were 110gr +P+ " Treasury Load " , and 125gr jhp +P . Particulary those Agencies using the Treas Load, would have the Dept Armorer file down the front sight to give proper POI with issued load. Somthing to look for on former LE guns.

Not saying an inherently bad thing, it lends a measure of authenticity to its history as a duty gun. But to be aware for a shooter.

And to still further ramble on the subject, two seemingly contradictory statements that are both true.

True statement #1 - As Alucard observed, everything else equal, heavier bullets will lose less velocity when going to shorter bbl.

True statement #2 - For those who use JHP's, and have expectations of expansion, the various bullets will have a minimum threshold of impact velocity. For short bbl guns, it is sometime ( often) necessary to use lighter bullet to get the velocity into the threshold window.

( I said " IF" the shooter is seeking an expanding JHP . I am not seeking a rehash of fmj vs jhp , or the claims of the latest wonder bullet of the week.)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Buffalo Bore makes stuff for short barrels, also minimises muzzle flash, a low-light consideration.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    But the next two most common Duty Loads were 110gr +P+ " Treasury Load " , and 125gr jhp +P . Particulary those Agencies using the Treas Load, would have the Dept Armorer file down the front sight to give proper POI with issued load. Somthing to look for on former LE guns.

which agencies did that? the S&W 66s had adjustable sights.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Reading all answers carefully.....

In the meantime I found 2 boxes of this in my ammo stash from a couple years back when my ammo budget was more generous.
    357mag158jhpc357efederal-20-3.jpg

That will be my "real world" fill.

Since I am resolved not to buy more ammo when I can help it ('cuz I bought a LOT pre election mostly .223 and 5.56) my legacy stash will have to be sufficent feed my revolver.
    I still have a case of 142 Fiocchi TC-FMJ and a half case SB 158 gr FMJ in stock to use for training (even tho both are almost too nice for training also)

My half case of "GP100-only" Super hot homebrews will be reserved for the Robot-Apocalypse and even then used only sparingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom