• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    About a month ago, I decided to build an AR. I found out about the GWACS Armory CAV-15 fully populated lower (see http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii-fully-populated-ar15-lower-receiver-ar-15/). I was intrigued because I'm a former infantryman who learned to shoot on M16 A1s and A2s. The CAV-15 is a one piece lower that is very reminiscent of the old M16 in appearance. I was envisioning getting an A2 style upper and finding some triangular foregrips to complete the nostalgic package.
    My friend, and an MDS IP, Chuck Spafford, from Tyler Firearms, told me one was being transferred to his store and recommended that I wait until it came in so I could inspect it. I took his advice, so when I was in the store to teach a class, I carefully inspected the lower. I was totally unimpressed.
    It is a solid polymer lower, which, if done well, is not a bad thing. I've seen polymer lowers that had steel inserts at key points such as the buffer tube inlet, the takedown pin points, bolt release, and magazine release. The CAV-15 has no inserts. It does not use takedown pin detents. Its takedown pins have spring loaded inserts that depend on the strength of the polymer to hold them in place. Those are highly stressed areas. I could easily see them wearing out after fewer than 1,000 rounds.
    The quality of the polymer leaves a lot to be desired. It is a relatively low density, poorly molded piece. There were ridges and burrs everywhere. This is not Glock or Sig quality polymer. I have an ArchAngel AA597 AR housing for my Remington 597. It is a solid polymer unit and its polymer quality is far superior to the CAV-15. I would be really surprised if this lower holds up, especially if used with 300 AAC or stronger ammo.
    Finally, the pistol grip is horrible. It is totally smooth, so it would require a full stippling job or a Hogue Hand-All (glued in place) to be usable. The trigger geometry is also bad as it requires someone to have a pretty large hand to operate. I have average sized hands. To gauge that, I can comfortably operate my Glock 23Gen4 with the medium backstrap. I really had to stretch to get my finger in the right position. As a side note, the trigger guard is a solid piece, molded into the frame and pistol grip, so forget about gloved operations in the cold.
    Bottom line: avoid this overpriced, low quality unit. If you want old school, find a surplus lower or get a stripped lower and search out a solid A2 style buttstock.
    014a6bfac1e6948e7a602a336a120b54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I bought mine 4 years ago and have over 5k rounds through it with not a single problem. The thing is a tank.

inRange TV is doing a series right now about using them in their What Would Stoner Do Project as well as a destructive test found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

I used hockey grip tape on my handle and have no issues with Mechanix Winter Impact Gloves shooting at AGC action matches.

They are one I'd highly recommend, so I guess this is a case where YMMV?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm glad that it's working for you. Nobody can afford to waste money. I would not spend my money on one. For $225, I can put together a lower that doesn't use proprietary takedown pins and has trigger geometry that allows me to operate the gun.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I can build an A2 stocked lower for $180ish, using a forged, Aeroprecision lower.

My point exactly. The stripped lower from GWACS is $129. It still needs a buffer, buffer spring, LPK, and EPK. In addition, you're stuck with their pistol grip and butt stock for life. If you lose or wear out one of the takedown pins, you have to buy it from them because it does not use standard AR takedown pins.
    I still don't get why they didn't include steel inserts at key stress points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom