• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    If they are decent size trees and depending on the species these guys might take some:

https://www.oecustom.com/

They turn it into slabs, dry it out and make furniture and countertops from it.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    People who have a smoker would love the oak and the Hickory.
    Try BBQ-Brethren.com and you could get lucky. Or PM me your contact info and I can post on there.
    If you know any Smoking Teams they would likely want it as well.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    Hmmmm.......

Rich, head on over to St Mary's county and locate most any Amish farm...... they usually welcome uncut trees that will make good firewood dumped on their property near where they will re-cut and use them.

Hope this helps. :)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    There are firewood cutters/sellers groups on FB. Post it there and you’ll have a dozen guys messaging you to come pick it up within an hour. If I were closer, I’d come get some myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    If the logs are large (20 inches plus) and straight, a logger will buy them. I picked up three trailers for good size slash/small logs (up to about 20 inches) from a guy this weekend in southern Anne Arundel that has a logger buying the wood (poplar).

Put an add on Craigs and someone should pick up the small stuff. If you're in very northern Calvert, I may be interested. No one, other than a logger, is gonna pay you for it, or clean up the mess.

For the limbs/slashings, you're gonna have to clean it up and haul it or pay to haul it, or...

If the property is isolated, pile it up into a big pile - maybe 20 feet across and 15 feet high. Let it dry for about 6 months. When you get an overcast, wet snowy day, go out and torch that thing, and it will be gone in 20 minutes. My dad and I used to do this all the time when I was a kid in fairfax county (no-burning allowed). Make sure you don't have any trees within 20 feet of the burn pile. They will get so hot from the radiant heat that they can go up.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I love this site. The reach, knowledge, and wealth of information is immeasurable. Especially for a newbie not from, or yet ingrained into, the County network. The responses here and in PM's we're much more than expected, hence my slow response as I dug through the info, chased leads, and deciding a path while letting this thread continue to grow.

Some notable mentions:
    -I'm buying a dump trailer this weekend. I've been looking at this one in particular for nine months now. The seller came down to an agreeable price this afternoon and I'll hopefully take possession this Friday or weekend.
    -Calvert Wood Recycling is indeed in Charles Co, towards LaPlata. I have not yet called as a much closer disposal site may have come available within ten minutes of my house. Their website is nonexistent but I found a Facebook picture showing their rates, but I could not figure how a dump trailer would fit into their structure.
    -I would LOVE for this big wood to go be sawn into dimensional lumber, I really would. However, I have no way to move or load 18' sticks of 23" hardwood. My ATV was pretty much maxed out skidding 8' pieces of 22" oak on level ground, and fell short trying to get a similar oak up a slight incline. I need to chunk it all into 16" pieces for me to handle. I am my own mule.
    -A coworker finally came over last night and retrieved about 36 feet worth of 18"+ hickory and oak trunk that I had stacked in the driveway. My wife is pleased to have that gone, after it sat there for a month.
    -On a regular basis, I see the huge semi-dumps hauling what appears to be trees and slash from clear cut operations southbound on route 4, south of Prince Frederick. I have yet to be quick enough to get the business name from the truck or make a u-turn to follow,them, but a PM from a member here may have answered that question. I still have some research left to find the definitive answer.
    -Bonfire: I don't know what's wrong with this state, but I don't want to take the risk of getting fined and having a brush truck stuck in my back yard again. Been there, already have that t-shirt. The burn barrel has been making steady progress, but I drink way too much beer at the same time for it to be cost effective. Not to mention that the underside of both forearms are bald (hair burned off) at the moment... The burn on the inside rear of my left tricep nicely, per my wife's comment this evening. I can't see it without a mirror. I hope to stay away from too much fire.

I thank you all for taking the time to give your input.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Just an FYI, the logger that got the trees from where I'm getting slash had a crane and grapple on the truck. I think he wanted the logs in a pile, but the lot owner did not have to load the truck.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    An update:
    I bought a huge dump trailer. 14 cubic yards worth of huge. And after a small round of teething pains within the new hydraulic system still bleeding air and needing additional fluid at times, it’s a workhorse and a MASSIVE time saver. The “touches” for each tree/stick/log has reduced noticeably, meaning I’m more efficient. I’m no longer touching every item three or more times. Cut it down, cut it small enough to load, and load it into the trailer to never touch again. That’s it. Unloading is a push of a button.

A member here has an ongoing project which is mutually beneficial in every single way possible. This has made my land clearing operation feasible both financially and in operation and time constraints while likely doing the same for his project. And I’m no longer held to the schedule of the county landfill, which closes at 4pm and does not open on Sundays.

Just in the last week I have cut down and hauled away enough trashy little trees growing on top of each other to fill the dump trailer twice, take back over 300 sq/ft of land to reclaim into the lawn space for increased curb appeal, reduced poison ivy, and more sun availability to the existing lawn.

Now I’m looking again at small excavators or the small Vermeer mini/skids. The end of year is quickly approaching and the United Rentals/Sunbelt/RDO/Cat rental organizations love offloading used equipment in Q4.

I’m almost to the point where I could start a tree service/junk hauling/mulch delivery company. It might be time to reestablish my unused Maryland cell phone number and begin advertising...

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I'm always looking for wood to burn in my insert. If you want to pm me maybe we could work out something. I. Live in Nanjemoy so it would not be cost effective for me to come over to where you are at just for a ,6ft bed of wood. Got no problem throwing some cash for expenses to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom