• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Howdy, all! As is so often the case, it looks like I may be searching for a real griffin (or is it a Phoenix?) :D

Despite his walking, breathing definition of a real p.o.s. biological father doing everything he possibly can (could?) to surreptitiously poison the boy against the shooting disciplines/sports, I finally got the “green light” and permission from his single (custodial parent) mom and last week FINALLY (Hallelujah!) was able to take a fine and maturing 13-yoa young man out to the range for his first shots. (Did I say?, Hallelujah! :lol::lol2:)

He ... had ... a ... blast! :clap::worship::bannana::whoa::patriot::heart:

So much so that his custodial parent (Mom) is (and grandparents, uncles, etc.) all are okay with my wife and I beginning the hunt for his very own .22, come Christmas time.

I have the following criteria in the following order, if anyone is aware of anything fitting the bill, so to speak:

1. 22LR
    2. Bolt*(can be single shot or mag fed although, if mag, something widely available such as the 10/22 mags would be ideal)
    3. Left-handed (first thing I do with all new (to me) shooters is check for eye dominance and, sure enough, he’s right-handed but, left eye dominant. He was extremely recalcitrant at first but, came around to the reasoning for starting off on the right, err, correct foot for what will hopefully be a long and pleasurable career of shooting not only rimfire rifle but, handgun and shotgun / clay sports, as well)
    4. Able to have a scope mounted, “down the road”
    5. Stainless (or parkerized) external surfaces would be ideal as I have a way around the “glare-reflection” issues.Not a “requirement” but, stainless’d be great.

Similarly, synthetic stock would be preferred over wood as would an adjustable trigger AND ability to adjust the stock would really be a cherry on top!

Happily, Length-of-Pull is NOT as big a concern with this strapping lad as so many other “utes” I’ve helped in getting started; this “boy” already stands 5’5”, weighs 130 and wears a full size 11 shoe (!) In other words, while likely not yet ready for a full size adult-proportioned rifle, this young man is already too big for a Lil’ Rascal ...

Shooting sadly will be limited to only several times a year and at paper to progress in the fundamentals and then reactive targets after that to keep his interest, etc, ; I do not see the lad ever getting into any “formal” discipline or target-type shooting. At least not while his twisted sob father has any control over his young mind and conscious development.

I have found the Savage MK II LVT left-handed model checks off several reqts albeit, in blue; however / and, other than the desire for stainless (or parkerized) external surfaces, I am aware I may be describing the Ruger Rimfire Precision Rifle ...

QUESTION: IS THE RUGER “Precision” Rimfire available in a Left-handed model and, if so, where’d be the best price to obtain one? (Our neighborhood FFL is already excited about helping us if I find one online, etc.)

LOL, I’ve been buying guns long enough to know that the universe is set up to ensure that, if Ruger does not currently offer the RPR in stainless they most certainly will roll them out shortly after I buy a blued one! :lol2:

* - I am aware I may be able to get stainless in a lever action (or even pump) and I may go that route but, I let the youngster shoot no less than 4 of my rifles (single shot, bolt, lever and pump) and he is NOT the least bit enamored with tubular magazines (conscious of the fact he is just starting out he - and I - much prefer the ease of loading - AND UNLOADING via detachable mag and checking an empty chamber (as opposed to dealing with a tubular mag, etc.)

All the forgoing going forward :lol:, any suggestions?

THANK YOU, in advance!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I just sold 1 about 2 months ago so they are out there. Honestly I'm left handed and find I shoot a right handed bolt gun left handed better than a left handed 1. You never have to remove your trigger hand from the grip . And your follow up shots are much faster as you dont loose your site picture. Just my 2 cents

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    I just sold 1 about 2 months ago so they are out there. Honestly I'm left handed and find I shoot a right handed bolt gun left handed better than a left handed 1. You never have to remove your trigger hand from the grip . And your follow up shots are much faster as you dont loose your site picture. Just my 2 cents

Hey, THANK YOU (.02 of actual, practical experience - from another shooter, that is - is worth gold to me) !!! :thumbsup:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My advice? Get the savage. I think you'll find it's accurate enough for him to learn, and you can always add a Boyd's at-1 stock later if you need an adjustable one. Mags are available and cheap enough. The accutrigger is fantastic for the money, better than my ruger ones for sure.

Edit: if right handed bolt is an option, you're welcome to try mine.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Hey gwchem, thanks! Much appreciate the actual, hands on feedback!

And, thanks for the “test drive” offer too! (But alas, we drove back here to WNC yesterday and don’t know when we’ll be back up to SoMD (we were actually back in MD this past weekend AND I was able to get in some Saturday am skeet with the fine fellows at Sanners Lake, man, that was great!)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    MM Jr. and I are always on the lookout for left-handed unicorns. They are tough to find. Savage has ... and they seem to be the most accessible.

MigraineMan, thanks for that link! :thumbsup:

And, yes indeed, I think (intend for) starting my search now, in July, for what will be a Christmas gift is gonna pay off! :party29:

Edit: In case it assists anyone, here is what appears to be an informative discussion I came across on scoping the Savage Mark II's: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477735

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    I'm right-handed but left eye dominant. Have always shot RH rifles. I agree Boss94 on his experiences. I found that working the bolt to be awkward when using a LH weapon.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hold out for a lefty version of the tikka t1x. they make a buncha lefty's for their hunting rifles so hopefully will come out soon.

i bought a cz452 american last year (lefty). not stainless, and unfortunately a wood stock. decent rifle but really only a few boxes thru it.

also, i have a ruger 10/22 and shoot that lefty no problems at all.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Lever gun is a great idea. I shoot left handed and love the ruger precision rimfire. I would not think twice about buying one.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I am left handed and left eye dominant. I only recently acquired a left handed bolt action and it feels very awkward after shooting right handed ones for many years. Honestly, it all depends upon how you are holding/resting the rifle and which hand you operate the bolt with. From the bench, I will sometimes use my right hand to cycle the bolt whereas offhand, I almost always reach over the top with my left hand.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Hey y’all, THANK YOU ALL for the excellent ideas and input!!!!

I see a lever in this now 13yoa’s future but, for his first rifle, he said he’d feel more comfortable with something other than a tubular magazine and I agreed.

Oh man, a Tikka sounds sweet but, I want to see how well he takes care of “his very own” firearm (wiping it down, removing fingerprints, etc. after each handling or shooting session, etc.) before I invest too much in his first one. (Like a lot of youngsters he hasn’t really had many (any) good examples of truly “taking good care” of things and certainly not anything blued. That lack of desirable “modeling” is just one of the challenges I am up against and I also have to acknowledge I am limited in my ability to make up for it, “quickly.”

I am soooooooo glad I asked for input here, before I start shopping in earnest. I am sharing each reply with my wife (also a right handed, left eye dominant long gun and handgun shooter) and we’re both whispering to ourselves, “I hadn’t thought about that” ... “that hadn’t occurred to me ...” etc.

I am equally glad I am not getting this bright idea with, “only _x_ # of shopping days left ‘til Christmas,” ha-ha!

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If you can find one on the used market check out the Ruger model 96 lever action 22lr and takes 10/22 magazines.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Look for a pump Rossi-Winchester clone, can be loaded single shot until skills/needs progress.

Okay, facepalm-in-public moment: I not only own one of these but, it was on the bench amongst the rifles I took with us for him to try (but, I didn’t know that ... derrrrr.....)

If you can find one on the used market check out the Ruger model 96 lever action 22lr and takes 10/22 magazines.

Wow. Whoa. Dang. I guess not even knowing such an animal exists is what I get for completely taking my finger off the pulse of the firearms market for so many years (mainly because I have collected more guns than I can shoot, now but, now that I am shopping for someone else I obviously need to snap out of it, man! :D

That sounds so cool and I think it’s a dang good reason to start hitting all the gun and pawn stores local to me! :party29:

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    By all means start off with a Savage if going bolt. A nice upgrade would be the CZ or Browning T bolt. My CZ trigger is much smoother than my Savage but both shoot very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom