• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, I’ve got me a ground hog and fox issue. I don’t want to bother the neighbors too much, though a couple have stated they have no issues with me taking care of varmints or hunting on my property. I’ve been using quiets before and now. However the fox that’s showing up is sometimes out about 50-60yds away. My coop is at 35yds. So quiets are a bit of a stretch and I’d like a bit better smack down potential. Also something that’ll cycle my 10/22. I had a whistle pig I hammered with a segmented quiet, left a hell of a blood trail and disappeared under my shed. That was Monday and today I saw one in my backyard. Wife had me go out the basement door and he was obstructed, but saw me. By the time I got a clear shot he was at the edge of the fence and I am pretty sure I missed when I squeezed off a shot quickly.

I know ground hogs don’t share dens unless mating, so unless an adult took over that one’s den, I obviously didn’t kill it. Or else two happen to have dug dens under the same shed. I could have hit it twice on my first encounter, but it takes too long manually cycling the bolt on my 10/22. I have killed ground hogs with segmented quiets before.

All of them it would be nice to have a rapid follow up shot.

Soooo...I am looking at CCI segmented subsonic as well as CCI Supressor (the 45gr RNHP). Anyone have experience with them, preferably out of a semi-automatic rifle on volume? I am sure louder than quiets, but how much so? Also are they much quieter than regular SV ammunition?

I am assuming they’ll cycle my 10/22 okay. Out of maybe 60-70 quiets I’ve fired out of my 10/22 at varmints and at the range I’ve had it fully cycle my 10/22 once and cause jams twice (short stroked the bolt, but enough to try to pick up the next round).

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

PS I am thinking I’d keep a mag of quiets and a mag of something a bit hotter depending on what the varmint is and where it presents. If the only way to nail he fox is using something a bit louder because it’s further away, it is what it is.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    If your property is that big, AND the neighbors don’t mind, I wouldn’t fuss with low power ammo.

One single high velocity.22 round is 1) not going to draw that much attention from anyone, 2) be impossible to locate by sound.

If you were shooting all afternoon long in your yard, that would get some attention. One shot? Doubtful. We overestimate how loud gunfire sounds at distance, because that’s the least frequent way we as shooters hear it. Truth is, a .22 from a rifle, heard from several houses away, is almost imperceptible among the din of daytime noises in a typical busy neighborhood. More so if there’s a busy road nearby or people are watching tv.

If the neighbors are cool, I’d just use HV stuff and do it right.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If your property is that big, AND the neighbors don’t mind, I wouldn’t fuss with low power ammo.

One single high velocity.22 round is 1) not going to draw that much attention from anyone, 2) be impossible to locate by sound.

If you were shooting all afternoon long in your yard, that would get some attention. One shot? Doubtful. We overestimate how loud gunfire sounds at distance, because that’s the least frequent way we as shooters hear it. Truth is, a .22 from a rifle, heard from several houses away, is almost imperceptible among the din of daytime noises in a typical busy neighborhood. More so if there’s a busy road nearby or people are watching tv.

If the neighbors are cool, I’d just use HV stuff and do it right.

You are probably right. It’s about a 4.5 acre property, so not huge, but not tiny either. A lot of woods. I found outdoor limited had both segmented quiets, segmented sub-sonic and also the new semi-auto quiets. I figure I’ll give the later two a try and see how they are.

I might mix in a HV minimag in there and see what if any reaction I get. I might just leave quiets for squirrels when they start tearing in to my bird feeders.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I have four acres with farms on two sides of me, 2 acres are woods the rest is grass & flower beds. I have shot many a ground hog with CCI SV, I would fill in the holes and within a week some one else had moved in. A friend had suggested soaking a roll of toilet paper in gasoline and placing it in the hole before filling it in. Since I started using the toilet paper not a single hole has been reoccupied. It worked so well in the maintained area I went into the woods and used the toilet paper in all the holes I could find. I hardly see any ground hogs now. I think they moved over to the farms. PS it is amazing how much gasoline a roll of toilet paper can hold.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have four acres with farms on two sides of me, 2 acres are woods the rest is grass & flower beds. I have shot many a ground hog with CCI SV, I would fill in the holes and within a week some one else had moved in. A friend had suggested soaking a roll of toilet paper in gasoline and placing it in the hole before filling it in. Since I started using the toilet paper not a single hole has been reoccupied. It worked so well in the maintained area I went into the woods and used the toilet paper in all the holes I could find. I hardly see any ground hogs now. I think they moved over to the farms. PS it is amazing how much gasoline a roll of toilet paper can hold.

Hmm, good trick. There is a hog out front under someone else’s shed and the one under mine out back. I’d swear I killed the one out back based on the blood trail, bubbles in the blood and color (lung blood). But there was a ground hog in my fenced back yard less than a week later and it ran right for the shed and under.

So either someone took over the old den fast, or the sucker managed to clot up enough.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also a can, a .300BO upper and subs sounds like fun.

Or better, a can, a .357 lever gun and .38sp 158gr sounds like ridiculous fun (not to knock 300BO)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also a can, a .300BO upper and subs sounds like fun.

Or better, a can, a .357 lever gun and .38sp 158gr sounds like ridiculous fun (not to knock 300BO)

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I use cci segmented standard velocity for what you are talking about on a similar lot. I use a can and they are quiet. They work great, but do not come close to what a high velocity cci HP mini mag will do. I use those as well and they are much more effective. I am using a 10/22 as well. The segmented hp standard velocity shoot just like the round nose, but the round nose are poor critter stoppers in my experience. Squirrels can even take one to the side and run away. I’m sure they have internal damage an die, but it isn’t clean.

As others have stated, a couple loud rounds on 4 acres won’t bother anyone. I’m in Carroll county so it is legal to shoot on my property, ymmv.

Foxes may be a little optimistic for .22 clean kills unless you are confident in shot placement and are using high velocity. Velocitors or stingers will take them down with good placement, but a larger caliber would be more humane if you don’t hit where you want.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use cci segmented standard velocity for what you are talking about on a similar lot. I use a can and they are quiet. They work great, but do not come close to what a high velocity cci HP mini mag will do. I use those as well and they are much more effective. I am using a 10/22 as well. The segmented hp standard velocity shoot just like the round nose, but the round nose are poor critter stoppers in my experience. Squirrels can even take one to the side and run away. I’m sure they have internal damage an die, but it isn’t clean.

As others have stated, a couple loud rounds on 4 acres won’t bother anyone. I’m in Carroll county so it is legal to shoot on my property, ymmv.

Foxes may be a little optimistic for .22 clean kills unless you are confident in shot placement and are using high velocity. Velocitors or stingers will take them down with good placement, but a larger caliber would be more humane if you don’t hit where you want.

Okay. I’ll think on it. Maybe keep a mag of velocitors for fox.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions!

Too bad I can’t really just use .223 (that really would be too loud, especially if I needed a follow-up shot because I missed).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can only bend the laws of physics but so far , and you will need to tweak your parameters . You need to either :

Get suppressor .
    Remove requirement to cycle ( unmodified ) semiauto .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The volume difference between standard velocity and high velocity is primarily the sonic "boom" standard velocity are subsonic so you don't get the "crack" sound. The CCI Quiets are loaded with less powder than the SV to reduce the noise even more by reducing muzzle blast. I have never had a problem taking groundhogs with standard velocity hollow point ammunition at appropriate ranges.

If you want to experiment you can load your own .22 rimfire because primed cases are again available. Find what is quiet enough for you but still cycles your rifle.

Primed cases, dies, and 18 gr. Colibri bullets
    https://fedarm.com/product-category/ammunition/22-lr/

.22 Reloader kit - includes two sizes of bullet molds - "Powders Suggested: 700x, 7625, PB, Unique, and Pyrodex P"
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/collections/products/products/22-reloader-kit

They also sell dies
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/collections/products/products/die

30 grain bullets
    https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb2/

55 grain molds
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/lead-bullet-casting/lee-moulds/-point-225-dia

Hollow pointer (two sizes)
    https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/hollow-pointer-kits/

It has been said the one grain of Bullseye works and that some people have developed accurate loads using up to 1 1/2 grains of Bullseye. Other people are getting excellent accuracy by breach seating bullets and then inserting the appropriate load in a primed case.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    If it is legal to shoot varmints on your property, why is noise such an issue?

Sure, a lot of shooting may be uncouth, but the occasional varmint shot? Are the neighbors that uptight about it?

Just wondering. I can legally shoot as much as I want in my neighborhood. I don’t out of politeness , but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the shotgun or whatever implement the situation calls for to put a rabid fox down or something getting into the chicken coop.

You know your neighborhood, but that’s just my opinion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it is legal to shoot varmints on your property, why is noise such an issue?

Sure, a lot of shooting may be uncouth, but the occasional varmint shot? Are the neighbors that uptight about it?

Just wondering. I can legally shoot as much as I want in my neighborhood. I don’t out of politeness , but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the shotgun or whatever implement the situation calls for to put a rabid fox down or something getting into the chicken coop.

You know your neighborhood, but that’s just my opinion.

Partly not how I was raised (raised by liberal hoplaphobes). Partly just worried I might have a crazy neighbor who starts calling the cops on me and giving me hassles. I’ve spoken to a couple of neighbors and they are fine with it and it’s basically only been when I was at least moderately sure whatever it was posed some threat to my chickens or garden. Not going out back hunting squirrels and what not.

At this point in less than a month (and maybe I’ve thinned them so it’ll be less often) I’ve taken down two ground hogs and now a raccoon (well, maybe one ground hog. Pretty sure the 2nd whistle pig might have survived.) That is over about 6 encounters and 4 of them I took shots at them. The raccoon took 4 shots, 3 of which I am confident hit it (in the space of about a minute, not over multiple encounters).

I don’t want the neighbors getting annoyed on why they hear a gun shot or two from my property a couple of times a week.

Also probably would have been better off with solids for the raccoon with something that low velocity.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    That makes sense as to the frequency. Get a can, then you can shoot more.

High velocity .22 HP would be more effective than subsonic RN. I have many one shot kills with it on raccoons and groundhogs. Subsonic HP (cci segmented) is vastly more effective than the RN on even squirrels. I’d avoid subsonic RN for varmints, but that has just been my experience.

Maybe use a shotgun and just fire two blasts?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    49e917e95b6cf4e9d28e644582b10312.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04