• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I picked up a nice Number 4 Mk1 Long Branch and was thinking about changing out the rear sight for one of the micrometer sights. Numrich sells a new reproduction one listed under Enfield Jungle Carbine. Will that sight interchangeable with the one I have on my rifle now?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It might fit, but I believe the no. 5 jungle carbine rear sight was graduated differently. You want the MK I "Singer" type. Springfield Sporters, www.ssporters.com, would have been the place to find it, but they are shut down (hopefully only temporarily). Maybe eBay?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I just looked at Numrich. They are indeed for the carbine, as you can see the elevation screw is only partially threaded, only going to 800m. For about the same price, there are a couple on eBay that are for the No.4 (graduated and threaded all the way up). I'd go that route, or email the address listed on the Springfield Sporters page.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yes, you can swap out the stamped MKIII sight for an earlier MKI "Singer" without harm to the receiver. Sadly it appears that Springfield Sporters, my old go-to source for all things Enfield, is no longer selling online. A quick check of Sarco and Numrich shows nada. That leaves trolling the net and Evil Pay.
    One warning, Sarco is selling a "No 4 Target Sight" that requires you modify your receiver. You can go this route but it's a one-way trip. I actually have one installed on a bitster No 4 that I built from a pile of parts as a range rifle.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yes, you can swap out the stamped MKIII sight for an earlier MKI "Singer" without harm to the receiver. Sadly it appears that Springfield Sporters, my old go-to source for all things Enfield, is no longer selling online. A quick check of Sarco and Numrich shows nada. That leaves trolling the net and Evil Pay.
    One warning, Sarco is selling a "No 4 Target Sight" that requires you modify your receiver. You can go this route but it's a one-way trip. I actually have one installed on a bitster No 4 that I built from a pile of parts as a range rifle.

Are the threads pretty tight on the back of the aperature on the sarco target sights?
    I was thinking of trying one of those out for the same reason you described.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just looked at Numrich. They are indeed for the carbine, as you can see the elevation screw is only partially threaded, only going to 800m. For about the same price, there are a couple on eBay that are for the No.4 (graduated and threaded all the way up). I'd go that route, or email the address listed on the Springfield Sporters page.

The one on Numrich says it will also fit the No4 Mk1. It does only go up to 800m, but I doubt I'd be shooting that far. LOL I emailed Springfield Sports, but haven't heard anything from them yet. The only ones on Ebay are coming from UK at the moment. I'm kind of leaning towards Numrich since I can get it for less than $40 plus shipping. Haven't decided for sure yet.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

Are the threads pretty tight on the back of the aperature on the sarco target sights?
    I was thinking of trying one of those out for the same reason you described.

As I remember, yes. Am at work, will pull my No4 range rifle out tonight and take a look. To mount this sight you need to open up the pivot screw opening on the receiver as the new sight has a larger diameter. Required as this model is windage adj. as well.
    The alternative is to scrounge a Parker Hale or similar target sight. I have a PH model 4 sight on one of my rifles and it's a drop in solution.. Or go big and open your wallet wide for a PH Twin Zero. I have one on my No8 trainer and it's da bomb.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Here's photos of my No 4 range rifle with the aforementioned target sight. I also scrounged a PH front sight to go with it. A friend gave me a No 4T buttstock cheek piece that a buddy serving in England found and sent to him. He didn't have a No 4 at the time and so it ended up with me. Really makes a difference with a consistent cheek weld.

Attachments

• IMGP8587.JPG
      IMGP8587.JPG
      47.5 KB · Views: 234
    • IMGP8588.JPG
      IMGP8588.JPG
      40.4 KB · Views: 214
    • IMGP8589.JPG
      IMGP8589.JPG
      32.2 KB · Views: 225
    • IMGP8590.JPG
      IMGP8590.JPG
      39 KB · Views: 220

Angus

Jun 14, 2012
    Lusby, Md
    If the rifle you have is a mark IV from long branch they had two rear sights I think. one was a peep and post similar to the early M-1 carbine the was the latter type rear sight. I would check on the schematic gun parts corp . has great schematics. I would not use a sight from a jungle Carbine because it would be regulated to a much shorter barrel. I had a MK IV many years ago and both sights were fairly easy to swap out

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    If the rifle you have is a mark IV from long branch they had two rear sights I think. one was a peep and post similar to the early M-1 carbine the was the latter type rear sight. I would check on the schematic gun parts corp . has great schematics. I would not use a sight from a jungle Carbine because it would be regulated to a much shorter barrel. I had a MK IV many years ago and both sights were fairly easy to swap out

Mine does have the ladder sight. I've decided not to get the carbine sight.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The problem you'll run into for point of aim shooting is that a taller front sight will sometimes be needed. Depending on what ammo is being used, even at a 200 yd. graduation and a six o'clock hold your rifle may print substantially higher than expected. could be 8-12".
    Even fitted with the tallest blade you may have to aim off considerably lower or fabricate a front sight for 100yd walk and paste. Your rifle will be zeroed for around 600yd battle sight with most combinations.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    The problem you'll run into for point of aim shooting is that a taller front sight will sometimes be needed. Depending on what ammo is being used, even at a 200 yd. graduation and a six o'clock hold your rifle may print substantially higher than expected. could be 8-12".
    Even fitted with the tallest blade you may have to aim off considerably lower or fabricate a front sight for 100yd walk and paste. Your rifle will be zeroed for around 600yd battle sight with most combinations.

Yeah, I've been through all that stuff with my Swiss rifles, which are regulated to 300 yards in issued configuration. Interestingly enough, when I took the Enfield to the range the other day, it shot pretty much right on with a 6 o'clock hold on a SR100 target at 100yds using Greek surplus and the ladder sight flipped up. Perhaps the front sight was changed, but I don't have another Enfield to compare it to.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Could be a difference in the height of the F/S band or even a stamped or milled backsight and ammo combo. PH even had substitutes for factory blades.
    I had to adjust the height of the blade (taller)on my shooter rifle to get it just right. Luckily it doesn’t seem you have that problem.

The milled rear sights jumped up in price awhile back and have become a little more scarce it seems like.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

Long Branches used all three types: Early MkI Singer, the MKII "flip" sight and the stamped MKIII.
    I've always wondered just why the No5 used a Singer type sight. You would think a MKII for a carbine or a MKIII. But then again, the US went from a simple, light flip sight on the M1 Carbine to an adjustable sight so maybe the British just decided to skip the theatrics and put the good stuff on it from the start.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Mine does have the ladder sight. I've decided not to get the carbine sight.
    ;) Good plan. A repro carbine sight...just wouldn't be right on there.

The one you have should do just fine. I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced MK I sight at the gun shows, etc. If I find one that looks good, I'll give it to you for what I paid. If you don't want it, no worries. I've started a good collection of Enfield parts...you never know when an extra MK I sight might be handy :innocent0

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    ;) Good plan. A repro carbine sight...just wouldn't be right on there.

The one you have should do just fine. I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced MK I sight at the gun shows, etc. If I find one that looks good, I'll give it to you for what I paid. If you don't want it, no worries. I've started a good collection of Enfield parts...you never know when an extra MK I sight might be handy :innocent0

Thanks but, I actually got one on eBay and it was delivered yesterday. I'm anxious to try it out. I have no idea where it's going to hit when adjusted all the way to the bottom. I also bought a front sight tool!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks but, I actually got one on eBay and it was delivered yesterday. I'm anxious to try it out. I have no idea where it's going to hit when adjusted all the way to the bottom. I also bought a front sight tool!

Great news! :party29: POI is...who knows :shrug: For 100 yds, Katie's Enfield needs to be squashed all the way down to the bottom...so far that it is under tension and we really need to do a little relief with a file someday :innocent0 My No4 MK2 likes to be up either 8 or 13 clicks...I can't rememeber:o I have another No4...that I don't even remember where it wants to be. (They say, as you get older, memory is the second thing to go...:innocent0) Hopefully it doesn't get moved. My plan (that someday I will start to put into motion) is to write down sight settings for each rifle on some kind of tough, water proof paper, and put it in the buttstock.

For as precise as the sight feels, a single click really seems to go a long way. I don't have any, like, "data" to support this (and maybe we just aren't good enough shots :o) but it just feels like one click moves POI a lot more than we expected at 100yds.

Will it be ready for the next Axis v. Allies match?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

So I don't need to go fishing in the spares bin for a Singer? Good on ya! One thing I noticed as I decided to aid in your search is that many of the traditional sources of Enfield stuff are gone or severely depleted. Trying to find a Singer these days isn't easy. Kinda glad that my days of restoring and smithing on Enfields is behind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom