• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ballistically, an excellent cartridge. The question (unfortunately) becomes whether or not you can afford to like it, both today and longer term. And especially if you don't roll your own.

It's the same argument as .45 LC. Gotta pay to play big.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Everything is loud over there, the accoustics are just horrible. even suppressed stuff sounds unsupressed.

But.... The fireballs From the hotloads add to the fun factor, just double up on hearing protection.

Accidentally fired it without hearing protection... It like BLAM... Followed by a whistling sound,then everything was muted, like water in your ears....twas like that Normandy scene from saving private ryan.

Know all about that. My buddy lit one off from my M&P before I got my ears on, ears rang for a bit.

Thankfully the splashback that got me in the neck and face took my mind off the ears ringing..., still have the pieces of jacket I dug out of my neck and face.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Brad, you have to get some 357 SIG ammo from Underwood Ammo

125 grain hollow point from a 4" barrel at 1490 fps. The Glock 31 launches it in excess of 1500 fps.

I just ordered 10 boxes after shooting some yesterday.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have been packing a Glock 32 for about 5 years.. That replaced a couple of 45 and 9mm pistols.

With the right loads, it approximates the performance ofthe 357 magnum. It will make swiss cheese out of most cover and there is no perceivable bullet drop at 100 yards. With enough practice, 100 yard shots on coke cans is easy. It is also reliable from lightweight polymer pistols.. Immune to limp wrist malfunctions. The bottleneck cartridge also enhances reliability, feeding a 9mm barrel from a 40 caliber chamber. That design funnels rounds into the chamber reliably.

The only drawback is the excessive muzzle flash, report and snappy recoil. Ammo is also expensive and hard to find nowadays. But if that was not a factor, the 357 SIG outshoots my 1911. And im a 1911 fanboy

I like my 45 and 9 mm pistols, but for serious HD/CCW..... I pack a pistol in 357 SIG

Im a big fan for the same reasons, my current home defense is still 9mm but .357 sig is one of my favorite calibers to shoot. Only downside is price.

I was trying to get a Sig 2022 to go with my 226 in .357 before 10/1 just didnt work out (did snag one in .40 S&W)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad, you have to get some 357 SIG ammo from Underwood Ammo

125 grain hollow point from a 4" barrel at 1490 fps. The Glock 31 launches it in excess of 1500 fps.

I just ordered 10 boxes after shooting some yesterday.

Hmm, so a 4.25" barrel should be pretty close to 1500fps, that's a helluva ace in the hole IMO.

That'll have to wait till next weekend when pay hits.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I've been considering a .357sig drop in barrel for hunting. With a 6" barrel length and the the 55grain frangible point bullets you more than meet MD's handgun hunting requirements.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Another big fan of the .357 Sig. When I got the drop in barrel for my P229, It now wears the .357 Sig for home protection and the forty is for range duty. I really have a hard time telling the difference in shooting Speer gold Dots of both calibers in the P229. Speers are generally loaded pretty hot. The the Sig round is very accurate.

Six years ago I purchase a few thousand rounds of each in loads from gold dots to Winchester Rangers and Federal Gold premium hollow points all at the cost of $239 per thousand. Those were the good old days. It was through CDNN, I've been waiting for them to sell ammo again ever since.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    good luck finding a decent quantity at a decent price, you can try wal-mart, i think it's on the shelf with the invisable .22LR and between the .50 Beowulf and 300 blackout.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    125 grain hollow points from Double tap.. Nowadays its like two bucks per round.

walmart has Tula ammo for 5.29 a box of 20

Glad I have some saved up over the years since they don't give us any after range days anymore. 3 to 500 round range days are still nice though :)
    Flattest round ever. If someone is center mass at 7/10 yards, no excuse not to be at 25. Slow fire at 100, rounds could be touching.
    Two different 229's, 1 p239 briefly, several barrels, an insane amount of rounds of Speer gold dot and not 1 fte, ftf, you name it in 12 years.
    The 229 and the sig.357 is a perfect marriage.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Used to have a P229 Sport in 357SIG. Also still have an HK USP-C in the same caliber. It is my primary carry gun and/or HD pistol. Got a 9mm barrel so I could shoot IDPA cheaper. I used to buy 250 rd. boxes of Ultramax reloads about every month from MidwayUSA for club matches. Saved every piece of brass I could get my hands on also. Still got lots on hand but availability has shrunk since the frenzy started. Still my caliber of choice when I need to terminate something with extreme prejudice. Especially Gold Dots or 1500 FPS Cor-Bon 115g. Ballistics are similar to my 9x23mm race guns. And in fact it was a long time buddy of mine, Les, who works the shows with his wife Mickey for the Gun Rack who steered me to both the HK and the 357SIG caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom