• H&K USP

Votes: 39 11.9%

• Total voters

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    None of the above are any pistols I'd really consider owning, although they are excellent guns.

Of their category, though, i.e. full-size service pistols, I'll stick with the Beretta 92FS/M9.

The 92FS is a beautiful-shooting gun, and is a piece of cake to strip down. Have not shot any of the others on the list, my other 9mm being a S&W 915. The Beretta shoots circles around the 915 (great accuracy and balance) but both shoot all the time, every time.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Out of your choices, I would choose the SIG as I own a P220 and love it, except for the thick grip as I have smaller hands.

BUT, my FIRST CHOICE, would be, a Browning Hi-Power, with a Cylinder & Slide SFS kit. This allows you to be locked & loaded with the hammer down. But as soon as you flip the safety, the hammer pops up automatically, ready to shoot.

Right after I get my new BAR STO barrel ( been waiting for 7 mos now :-), I am either going to install this kit myself, or have C & S do it. ( they are experts with H-P's, but a long wait time for work :-(

With this kit ( also made for 1911's ) you have the sweetness of a single action trigger, but the readiness of a D/A also, well, close to it. Check it out. If you have never shot a High Power, you should at least rent one first, before choosing.

Look at the Cylinder and Slide website. Good luck choosing :-)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    ma_deuce

Good choice :-) hahahahaha I wrote my reply from like, page 1, and didn't see your choice. Best 9mm there is!! Of course, many would disagree, and there are many nice ones out there, but, nothing like the original :-)

Are you familiar with this SFS kit? Man, it is great. It has been big in Europe for years, but only C&S and Power Custom import them here. After like 5-7K rounds through mine, I thought it might be time for a new barrel. It is 40 yrs old, and still looks great!!

I asked the guy at BAR STO what the accuracy difference was between a hand fitted barrel and a drop in, since the cost difference is significant. And his answer was like....oh....maybe a 1/2 inch difference at 50 yards..hahahaha Well, I will not be shooting targets at 50 yards very often any more. When I was young, and used to take it out to an abandoned area, I would shoot it up to 100+ yards at milk jugs floating down the stream. And by the time the mag was empty, I would usually hit it at LEAST once :-) I miss that type of shooting now a days.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a BHP and love it.
    Being from MD I can count on never being able to carry it so thats out. The pistol will be possible range toy/home defense. A suppressor is a maybe. I'm just look for a hi cap pistol that would also be durable in a shtf scenario.

Then of the options listed, the USP is your hands-down winner.

Great suppressor host. Durability, in excess of 50K rounds, that should work. Accuracy - no problems there, off a block even I can hold 4" groups at 50 yards with one.

Only downside - cost. Gun and mags ain't cheap.

My only 9mm is a Glock 26. Having said that, if I were in the market for another 9mm it would either be a Sig P229 or a Walther PPQ M2. I love my Walther PPQ in .40 cal but the PPQs are no longer being made, Walther is now making the PPQ M2. Or pick up a used PPQ in 9mm as the triggers on these right out of the box are incredible. You really need to do yourself a favor and try a PPQ trigger to appreciate it, it's that good.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Old classic
    Browning Hi Power

I have a BHP and love it.
    Being from MD I can count on never being able to carry it so thats out. The pistol will be possible range toy/home defense. A suppressor is a maybe. I'm just look for a hi cap pistol that would also be durable in a shtf scenario.

huh? don't get the DQ from this??

Care to add some insight?

Did anything else not on the list get 2 write-ins? :party29:

ma_deuce

Good choice :-) hahahahaha I wrote my reply from like, page 1, and didn't see your choice. Best 9mm there is!! Of course, many would disagree, and there are many nice ones out there, but, nothing like the original :-)

Are you familiar with this SFS kit? Man, it is great. It has been big in Europe for years, but only C&S and Power Custom import them here. After like 5-7K rounds through mine, I thought it might be time for a new barrel. It is 40 yrs old, and still looks great!!

I asked the guy at BAR STO what the accuracy difference was between a hand fitted barrel and a drop in, since the cost difference is significant. And his answer was like....oh....maybe a 1/2 inch difference at 50 yards..hahahaha Well, I will not be shooting targets at 50 yards very often any more. When I was young, and used to take it out to an abandoned area, I would shoot it up to 100+ yards at milk jugs floating down the stream. And by the time the mag was empty, I would usually hit it at LEAST once :-) I miss that type of shooting now a days.

I have never tried one of the SFS guns, but IIRC, Lord Chad has or had one that I think he said was factory-made by FN, and speaks highly of it. Maybe some day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Going from Wheelheads post #3 in this thread : He already has a multitude of handguns ( presumably of his liking ) , and this hi cap 9mm is a bucketlist checkoff , if not a raised finger to O'Mally et al.

The obvious choice is the Glock. Very proven design. Very widespread & popular. Hence magazines are available , if some obscure holster is only offered for two semi autos , it will be for 1911 and G17. Not that it really NEEDS anything , but a wide variety of all possable parts and accessoriesfrom mltiple sources.

The P series Sig is an excellent pistol, well proven , with good factory and aftermarket support. But if one wasn't a preexisting SIG afficianado , I couldn't justify to them the +/- double $ .

The ommision from the origional poll was the XD . The orig XD is is being presently over shadowed by intrest in its latest offspring , the XDm , but the origional remains an excellent proven design with great availability of parts and accesories, and presently is available at very favorable prices compared to the XDm .

python

Apr 15, 2010
    What's the point of this poll? I don't own any of the guns listed, but I do have a H&K P7 M8, a Browning Hi Power, a Sig P6, P239 and P229. Are any of these any good? LOL!

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Not to hi-jack the poll, but I don't think anyone mentioned Steyrs. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the new L9-A1? Just saw one at my FFL and liked what I saw, but I'm not real familiar with them.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    My BHP has the SFS and there is no debating that I love that pistol. BigFoot is right in his assumption about my motivations. From what I gathering I should have dropped the FN pistol and added the XDm. I'm not a fan of the M&P pistols....

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    My favorite 9mm:

9180275644_e68e194de7.jpg

that's pretty!!!

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Some big differences on the list.

A heavy framed 226, hammer fired, is just so different from a striker fired polymer framed Glock, or USP. Different action too

I don't carry. I am moving from light weight toward heavier. Toward hammer. Have a M&P 9 and have a P229 enhanced elite on order. Also really like the P30 HK.

Just my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom