• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    So I have my oral board tomorrow morning with MSP. I am very nervous about possibly not being able to think of what I am going to say to some of the questions. I am fairly confident that I can present myself in a professional manner, and I have been to many job interviews before, but there is no other career field that I want more than to be a law enforcement officer.

Can anyone give some insight to the process, I know not everyone gets the same questions but is there anyone that has interviewed with MSP before?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would ask the guys from the Thin Blue Line forum subsection here on MDS grant you access there. Theres lots of bad advice you will get from non LEO's or people trolling. The LEO forum will give good advice. Too many LEO hating idiots here in the Non LEO areas.

Good luck in your interview, and dont worry, youll do fine.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I went through oral boards with three departments when I was trying to figure out where I really wanted to work. Every one of them asked a few of the same questions:

1) Tell us about yourself
    2) Why do you want to be a cop
    3) Why our Dept in particular
    4) What do you bring to our Dept/ greatest strength
    5) What is your greatest weakness

Good luck with it. If you get the chance to shake hands with the board members, do it, make eye contact, REMEMBER THIER NAMES and refer to them by name if you can. Be DAMNED sure that you know the mission of the MSP before you go in there. I'll add more if anything comes to me, good luck.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am not a LEO, so I cannot add anything constructive about what to say/do.

I can, however, wish you the best of luck and success. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dam guess I fall into the LEO hating idiots catergory because I'm not a LEO and can't provide you with any info....LOL

No, not being a LEO is not what I meant. It people who think LEO's are some kind of Jack Boot Thug is the ones I was referring to.

I have much respect for them and defend them when I see their good name smeared.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I went through oral boards with three departments when I was trying to figure out where I really wanted to work. Every one of them asked a few of the same questions:

1) Tell us about yourself
    2) Why do you want to be a cop
    3) Why our Dept in particular
    4) What do you bring to our Dept/ greatest strength
    5) What is your greatest weakness

Good luck with it. If you get the chance to shake hands with the board members, do it, make eye contact, REMEMBER THIER NAMES and refer to them by name if you can. Be DAMNED sure that you know the mission of the MSP before you go in there. I'll add more if anything comes to me, good luck.

Joppa pretty much summed it up. They are looking for Honesty, confidence and commitment. Good Luck!

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Remember...be cool, calm, relax and don't choke...sorry...forgot it was an "ORAL" exam...forget the choking part....

Good luck

Last edited:

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    If they ask you "whether or not you would exchange sex for a ticket" don't forget to reply: Depends on how she looks!

It always works to break the ice.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    its a tough process but INTERGRITY INTEGRITY INTEGRITY. be HONEST and you will do fine. just carry yourself with confidence. not arrogance. good luck

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Not a LEO. I think that's a little drastic and degrading to get a job..."oral board"! :D

I've always hated telling people I was taking an "Oral Board", I just an in person interview. To many of my friends could not pass up an opportunity to fire me up with ammo like that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    its a tough process but INTERGRITY INTEGRITY INTEGRITY. be HONEST and you will do fine. just carry yourself with confidence. not arrogance. good luck

That's the most important part of any stage of the police application process. They'll forgive the fact that you were once young and dumb, they'll drop you in a heartbeat if they catch you lying about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom