Reloading Conundrum (Ogive measurement inconsistency)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hi Guys,

Well, my OCW testing session ended up good for the .25-06, producing a nice .36 MOA group out of my Cooper JGR with the 87 grain Hornady SP (#2530) and I've settled on a 56.6 grain charge of RL-19 for my groundhog season. Anyway, I found another box of those discontinued 87 grain boolits and decided to load up 30 more rounds to get everything calibrated out to distance with my Strelok Pro App. I finished off what was left of one box of boolits (10) and transitioned over to the other box, only to find a .007" discrepancy on the seating depth to ogive measurement between projectiles from the 2 boxes (using the Hornady bullet comparator). I typically seat them at 2.685" (ogive) .020 off the lands, but the newer pills, when seated with the same die setting are at 2.692". COL on rounds loaded with the second "lot" of boolits is also correspondingly .007" longer. I also measured the actual bullet length from both boxes and they are consistent at .893", so all I can think of is that the later set of boolits has a wider ogive profile closer to the meplat.

I'm trying to decide if I should leave the later group alone (now .013" off the lands) or just adjust the die and seat them .007" deeper, end result being a consistent "jump" to the lands (.020") but more possibly more neck tension on the later group due to more bearing surface contact? Which would affect accuracy more?

Thanks,

ST.243

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    Don’t chase. When I have a load that I’m not 100% happy with I put them back and use them to help “get on paper” when checking zero or sighting in a new scope.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The direct answer is the distance off the lands is the more critical factor .

The big answer is that "normal" bullets aka "hunting grade" bullets will have Lot to Lot variations than true Match grade bullets . That one of the things you're paying for with Match bullets.

Yes , those Hornadys SPs from that lot gave you adrimarble results . But currently the mass produced generic bullets are your limiting factor . When your expectations are in the 0.3's , you need to step up your bullets .

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    The direct answer is the distance off the lands is the more critical factor .

The big answer is that "normal" bullets aka "hunting grade" bullets will have Lot to Lot variations than true Match grade bullets . That one of the things you're paying for with Match bullets.

Yes , those Hornadys SPs from that lot gave you adrimarble results . But currently the mass produced generic bullets are your limiting factor . When your expectations are in the 0.3's , you need to step up your bullets .

Thanks, Bigfoot44. I use higher quality bullets for deer (accubonds, bergers, etc.) and usually my Hornady SSTs are pretty consistent too. At times, even with the higher quality stuff, I've seen .002 to .003 variations, which I can kinda live with but I thought .007" was a bit out of control - figuratively and literally!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That does seem like a lot, but given your .020" loads success, I would probably reseat them to get the .020" jump. That said, .007" less isn't that big of a deal with a bolt gun, so I might shoot a handful to see how they do before I went back and reseated them. That said, .007" deeper should have a very minimal affect on neck tension and should really not influence your results.

Bigfoot is right, you won't get the consistency from the typical hunting bullets as compared to match-grade projectiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom