• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Went to the range today and after 30 rounds or so I heard what thought was a dud. Pull the mag, lock bcg back and zero light coming through.

Borrowed my dad's cleaning rod and yep resistance about 3" from muzzle.

Suggestions on how to get it out? Better to go back from breech or no? And find a rod close to 9mm and lightly tap it out?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Shotgun cleaning rod, rubber mallet. It'll fit down a 9mm bore, and if it bows a little, it's aluminum, so no worries to the bore.

Being that close to the muzzle, go from the chamber/breech.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Wrap masking/painter's/electrical/duct tape around the end of the rod. Just enough that it will still slide inside the bore.

That way the rod stays centered in the bore. So the rod can't walk off center and push between the bore and the bullet.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Get an oak dowel and a mallet.
    Drive it back thru the breach.

You had what they call a squib load.
    Less than normal pressure round.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Use a hardened steel drill rod as close to the bore diameter you can get. Not saying a few light taps with a wood dowel or brass or aluminum rod wont work but if its tight and you beat that soft metal or wood around the projectile your in trouble. On really short barrels its easier to do, rifle barrels get real troublesome because of the length. Just clean and oil the rod or smear some grease on it. You use close as bore diameter because there is less chance of gouging the bore.
    Hope it pops right out and they usually do pretty easy. Put a couple of drops of silicon in there.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    When I squib'd the 50Beo, got lucky they didn't expand the base much, knocked them out at the range with my trucks antennae.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Good catch!
    Good thing you did not keep shooting

I don’t like wood. If the end starts to split and expand it can get stuck. Happened to me slugging a barrel,

Should he oil or grease the opposite end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    quick question: was this factory ammunition?
    if so contact the ammo manufacturer.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Way to pay attention. PSA: if something doesn't sound right or doesn't feel right, STOP SHOOTING. Squibs can be very dangerous.

Relatively easy fix, provided you don't chase another round down the barrel. Were these factory loads or hand-loads?

Factory load....Gecko 124gr 9mm

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Don't use metal in you barrel.
    NRA says wood. Get an oak dowel at home depot or lowes and it will not split or fray.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017/3/11/how-to-handle-squib-loads-and-hangfires/

Sounds like bad advice to me. At the very least use a brass squib rod. Albeit it more than likely it will work and I'm confident it will in this case, but for something that's really stuck never use anything that is softer than the material you are trying to drive out.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You did WHAT????

Had a batch that I wound up using the wrong set of prepped brass, still had moisture in the case from sonic cleaning - damp powder charge. :o

Found that at the '15 MDS shoot, primer ignited, put the bullet about 2/2.25" past the chamber - didn't even obturate the base on the round. Knocked it out with very little effort.

No damage to the rifle, just hurt my pride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom