• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    There are many more other than fulton that offer them. Check out the mini g from Shuffs parkerizing. That's a little more fun than a conventional tanker although tim will build those as well.

Since they are all shop built guns be wary of used. You need to trust your mechanic.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    There are many more other than fulton that offer them. Check out the mini g from Shuffs parkerizing. That's a little more fun than a conventional tanker although tim will build those as well.

Since they are all shop built guns be wary of used. You need to trust your mechanic.

The fact remains they are still bastardized non issued sporters. Not sure it was a "bad idea" at the time since the carbine was as lethal as a limp dick for the most part............

Even with a few hundred fps less the 06 in this configuration would have still been a lethal killer for combat.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I shot a Mini-G in 7.62 NATO. It's an easy handling gun, doesn't kick too bad. I believe it had a Smith Enterprises brake on it.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Was it mag fed? I saw those on Shuff's site and thought they looked cool.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks OP I never knew there was a tanker garand. I did some googling and that was pretty cool! I have nothing to add but a thank you for the info!

Thanks for the fact in post 2 Bart that's crazy. There's probably hundreds of sporterized garands and I was under the impression it's the 1/2 (SVT) C&R you don't mess with.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

Shuff's has a pretty good record from all the stuff I've heard from the boards over at CMP. He also does one that is a modified M1 Garand receiver that he turns into essentially an M1A. I wonder if that would still be MD legal or not. I'd imagine so since it still technically is an M1 Garand Receiver.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Was it mag fed? I saw those on Shuff's site and thought they looked cool.

No, that one was en bloc fed. However, one of my friends got a CMP grade C receiver and a BM59E kit from Sarco and just sent it off to Shuff's. He's having Shuff's build the BM59 to take M14 mags, so it's presumably MD legal.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    It's mentioned as legal in the 281 FAQ. If I knew I could pick up a rack grade or field grade at Camp Perry I would probably wheel up to Shuffs in Michigan and drop it off. But from what I read its slim pickings up there in Ohio.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Thanks OP I never knew there was a tanker garand. I did some googling and that was pretty cool! I have nothing to add but a thank you for the info!

Thanks for the fact in post 2 Bart that's crazy. There's probably hundreds of sporterized garands and I was under the impression it's the 1/2 (SVT) C&R you don't mess with.

Not crazy at all, all these you're seeing aren't USGI. Call them bastardized or sporterized.... sameo sameo. Again, it DID make sense IMO if one looks at the ballistics of a carbine but for whatever reason it never happened.

Carbines were loved by many BTW because of their weight and minimal recoil. I think it was Korea they REALLY saw it's downfall.......... winter coats, didn't penetrate.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Reminds me of the M1A 16" SOCOMs or whatever the h3ll they call them...

I'd like to see a Garand with a detachable mag in .308. ;)

If Fulton builds it, at least it wont be crap.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I'd like to see a Garand with a detachable mag in .308. ;)

And so you shall!

images

MudPuppy

Jul 20, 2012
    I own an M1 Tanker Garand in 30'06 passed down from my father, no idea on it's provenance, it is a Springfield Receiver and Stock, looks to have about 4" less Barrel than a standard Garand. No complaints, shoots straight manageable recoil.

Nice rifle.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I have owned two tanker Garands. One I still own runs flawless in. 06.

The other one I bought from Atlantic guns years ago. It had cool scope mount ring combo on it. It was hinged and to load you just moved orbut flipped the scope over. When ready to fire flipped the scope back in the shooting position. Think I.paid 600 for it. When I got it to the range it would only hold 7 rds.

Took it back and got my money back. Saw it had reweld marka on it. Cool scope mount on it though. Wish I had kept that.

My tanker gets more attention then when I pull it out then a GI Garand. Phay ull out the M1D, that guy is a show stopper.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Many of the earlier Tankers were welded and remachined demilled Garands.
    Canfield mentioned this in his M1 Garand/Carbine book.

I remember seeing one on display (for sale) for years at my favorite sporting goods store located in Havre de Grace. Conversation piece but no one wanted it. Too many of the GI guns out there. I don't ever recall it ever being sold right up to the day the store closed.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Yes they are "bubba" guns.

But- they are usually built on a stripped reciever with a salvage cut down barrel.

You are not really destroying something to build one, in fact you are repurposing OOS parts for the most part.

It's ok to own a gun that's just plain fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom