• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have loaded up the minimum load from the Hornady manual for 300 grain Hornady XTP Mag bullets using Win 296 powder.

I shot this load out of a brand new Ruger Super Redhawk. On the second shot the 454 case would not come out of the cylinder. I had to take it out at home.

What is causing this? I could understand if it was a max load.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I couldn't imeadately find Hornaday data online , so I looked to my usual sources quoting Hogdon, And Hogdon themselves .

Minimum loads vary a bit, clustering around 27.0 and 27.9gr. The current Hogdon website shows stats on 28.5gr and 30.0gr .

28.5gr , WSR , 300gr jfp Freedom bullet , shows 44, 200 cup .

Is this close to what you are loading ? ( If anything , the FA projectile would be a higher factor than XTP ) . Note Hogdon's use of Small RIFLE Primers , what are you using for primers .

44k or less isn't hot by .454 standards . The 27.somthing loads should be down in the 30's .

But since you said brand new gun , and only second shot :

Rough chambers ?
    Too soft batch of brass ?

Are these the first shots period ? Or just first shots with these handloads ?

If first shots period , fire some factory loaded ammo to establish a baseline . If those stick , look to chamber dimensions and finish. If not stick , look to your brass .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'd rather not fire any factory ammo cause they load it too hot.

I had the same problem with a few rounds with a used gun I bought and returned (cases getting stuck in the cylinder).

The small rifle primer factor is interesting. I'll have to look up the load in the manual.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , a further option in that direction is the Winchester Super X 250gr JHP ( silver box) . It is a comparitive moderate load intended for mere whitetails. 250gr @ 1300fps, aka similar to .44mag .

In a virgin revolver ( or any firearm) having problems ,with handloads , it is an important step to try the gun with ammo of known specs and quality . If nothing else , one of your either macho or curious shooting buddies / club members would be tickled to run a cylnder thru it .

I get about wanting full power .454 . That is a popular theme to look at a .454 revolver in the concept of being an overbuilt, extra strong .45Colt .

What is your desired level of vel/ power with your Super Redhawk ?

I am thinking your choice of H110 is not suited for what I'm * guessing* you're seeking. The data I was seeing still puts start loads of H110 into the 1500's. 200-ish fps less than nominal full power , but still quite a handfull .

I'm * guessing * you would be interested in either equivalent to .44magnum , or "Ruger Only" .45Colt level , the later either in .45Colt cases , or in Casull brass .

Powders for these type loads would include 2400, 4227, AA9 , Unique ( and others ).

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Have you tried 45 Colt loads in it?

Small rifle primers are required in the 454.

You may be using too light a load in it and experiencing a detonation issue. H-110/296 is NOT a good powder for very light loads. I remember reading years ago about detonation in lower than recommended loads with 296 but it was a different powder then. It is now the same as H-110. Are you getting pressure signs of any kind? Have you measured the cases?
    Can you show a picture of a case head that was ok and one of the ones that was hard to extract?
    I've loaded a lot of H-110 in my 44 Mag with never an issue. The 454 doesnt seem to like light loads with Mag powders

In my 454, I tried 2400, H-110, N-110, N-105, AA1680, AA9.
    N-105 shot best with the Hornady 240 gr Mag bullet in my Ruger. Like you I was working near the lower end and had a couple squib loads with 1680 and H-110. I talked to Accurate powders and they recommended upping my load a bit and try again. I decided to just stay with the N-105 which shot great and let it go at that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My recently deceased Shooting/ Handloading Partner #1 used 296 and 2400 . But then since he also had .45Colt Blackhawk, the FA was designated for the higher horsepower loads.

If the tooth fairy were to give me a .454 , the first powder I would try would be 4227 .

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    BF44, didn't have any 4227 to try or I would have.
    Got great groups with the N-105 and 2400 was pretty good to.
    1680 was heavily compressed and gave me some issues. I may try some 4100 in it when I get time.

Ken

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4227 is my go to for magnum class revolvers.

I have a standard default load : Cast swc of usual for cal weight , std primer, 90-95% load density ( with specific bullet ) . Always gave me 1.25in @ 25yd or tighter .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Have you tried 45 Colt loads in it?

Small rifle primers are required in the 454.

You may be using too light a load in it and experiencing a detonation issue. H-110/296 is NOT a good powder for very light loads. I remember reading years ago about detonation in lower than recommended loads with 296 but it was a different powder then. It is now the same as H-110. Are you getting pressure signs of any kind? Have you measured the cases?
    Can you show a picture of a case head that was ok and one of the ones that was hard to extract?
    I've loaded a lot of H-110 in my 44 Mag with never an issue. The 454 doesnt seem to like light loads with Mag powders

In my 454, I tried 2400, H-110, N-110, N-105, AA1680, AA9.
    N-105 shot best with the Hornady 240 gr Mag bullet in my Ruger. Like you I was working near the lower end and had a couple squib loads with 1680 and H-110. I talked to Accurate powders and they recommended upping my load a bit and try again. I decided to just stay with the N-105 which shot great and let it go at that.

I think I'll try N-105 with the 240 grain bullet next. That powder is in the Hornady manual on top. I bought some Federal 205 primers for it.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I looked for N-105 and couldn't find any. I talked to a salesman at one of the places that sell powder and he thought that 296 was OK with the gun. He has a S&W 460 that he loads with 296 and has never had any problems.
    He thought I should clean out the cylinders real good and try again. I bought some Federal 205 primers and loaded up some rounds with 240 grain Hornady XTP Magnum bullets. I didn't have any cases stuck in the cylinders today.
    I'm gonna try loading some 300 grain bullets and shoot those next.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you wish to load to more or less full power , 296 is indeed on the short list of usual suspects . Reduced loads , nope .

Glad that it went better , but suspect the chamber scrubbing was the factor .

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Glad you got it worked out. 296 will be fine unless you are working with light loads. All I was saying before was that my Super Redhawk shot better with N-105 than it did with 296/H-110. Every gun is a bit different

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The rounds shot about 3 inches low. I was shooting at ten yards with shooting sticks. I need to get a more accurate round so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting especially once Spring gets here. It was around 10 degrees yesterday with about 5 inches of snow at the range.
    I came upon a fresh deer kill on the dirt road to the range. There's a stray dog that lives near the range and I think it killed the deer. I think it's a true hunter and lives on the wild game there. At least I think it's a dog. It walked by with a bigger dog a couple of days ago and it was by itself the next day. Unless it's a black coyote but I don't think it'd show itself if it was.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found a great article in Handloader magazine about different loads for the 454 Casull. I'll be trying some of them out this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom