• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    But certainly not now! :)

For something in the Mosin camp that probably saw service (at some point in its life), the M91/59 is underappreciated.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The 49/56 came this close to being a great rifle. Trigger pull sucked however. Front sight too tree-trunk like, although the mechanism for raising/lowering it like the AR15 is nice. Staked parts to prevent soldiers from doing more than field striping not-so great. If they had just made the receiver cover a bit lower in the rear you could clean it from the rear. Severe drop of the buttstock doesn't help barrel rise or scoping it.

This is right on, its typical French (like there cars or frankly women) make a few improvements here and there, slap features on, forget small details.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Commercial: Savage Model 1899/99.

Military: Portuguese Mauser-Vergueiro, P14, Arisaka, Yugo Mauser, FN-49.

I think everyone's grandfather would disagree with the 1899/99. While they don't have the mystique of Winchesters etc. they certainly were the gun that put meat in the pot for everyone's grandfather. Hence why there are a gazillion in circulation, most drilled for scopes. Aside from the insanely complicated mechanicals they were what they were, great hunting rifles that made the 50s and 60s sportsman.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    This is right on, its typical French (like there cars or frankly women) make a few improvements here and there, slap features on, forget small details.

Gentlemen I disagree. That big front post is fast to acquire in the field, it's a battle rifle not a target rifle. Ever try to find that narrow Springfield 03 blade quickly?
    The fact that the receiver has scope rails as a std feature is very forward thinking. Ditto for the GL. I do agree that when a scope is mounted an accessory stock riser for better cheek weld would have been nice to see issued. External catch mag is stupid easy/fast to remove and replace.
    I've NEVER had a FTF or other blockage in my MAS 49 or 49/56. A very stout and simple system. Yes, the French used that I'll call security screws to prevent disassembly in the field but I'll bet every armorer would prefer that un-trained GIs not be doing a detailed, full field strip. Just not normally necessary.
    The 49/56 is probably the perfect length for all around service from infantry to mounted. Yes it's harder to clean, but who's complained recently about the same of the much adored M1 Garand and Carbines?
    Remember that the French were issuing a MRB with an excellent 7.5 mm round, removable 10 rd magazine and integral GL when we were still fielding the rapidly aging M1 Garand. It's a much better rifle than it get props for.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Gentlemen I disagree. That big front post is fast to acquire in the field, it's a battle rifle not a target rifle. Ever try to find that narrow Springfield 03 blade quickly?
    The fact that the receiver has scope rails as a std feature is very forward thinking. Ditto for the GL. I do agree that when a scope is mounted an accessory stock riser for better cheek weld would have been nice to see issued. External catch mag is stupid easy/fast to remove and replace.
    I've NEVER had a FTF or other blockage in my MAS 49 or 49/56. A very stout and simple system. Yes, the French used that I'll call security screws to prevent disassembly in the field but I'll bet every armorer would prefer that un-trained GIs not be doing a detailed, full field strip. Just not normally necessary.
    The 49/56 is probably the perfect length for all around service from infantry to mounted. Yes it's harder to clean, but who's complained recently about the same of the much adored M1 Garand and Carbines?
    Remember that the French were issuing a MRB with an excellent 7.5 mm round, removable 10 rd magazine and integral GL when we were still fielding the rapidly aging M1 Garand. It's a much better rifle than it get props for.

Like I said, "almost great". And I get the idea behind the staked parts, I just disagree. Somehow we've survived uncounted wars with MBRs that you can strip down to the atom level. Garands and M1 carbines? Gen I semi autos. They could have easily allowed cleaning from the rear with a small change, same as on the SKS.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I think everyone's grandfather would disagree with the 1899/99. While they don't have the mystique of Winchesters etc. they certainly were the gun that put meat in the pot for everyone's grandfather. Hence why there are a gazillion in circulation, most drilled for scopes. Aside from the insanely complicated mechanicals they were what they were, great hunting rifles that made the 50s and 60s sportsman.

That's the problem...everybody's father or grandfather would disagree (including my own), but how many people under the age of 30 even know about them? I think they are underrated by today's average shooter.

I wish somebody would make one today. It would be expensive and impractical, but I would buy one. Especially in a modern caliber (although .300 Savage is one of my favorites, .308 can do the same things better).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom