• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So along those lines I was looking at the Bushnell trophy and banner series. I have some trophy XLT 8x32mm binocs that I love. Anyone used any of the rifle scopes? Their long eye relief of 6" 3-9x40mm is around $80-90, but then I'd need scope covers to add another $10 or so. I found a trophy XLT that is $100-110 with a claimed 4" of eye relief and it comes with butler creek flip up covers.

Thoughts? It is for mounting on a Sako .308 and I have no friggen idea how much eye relief is sufficient for an 8lbs rifle including scope with a .308 on it. Most 3-9x40mm scopes seem to be 3.3-4" of eye relief, more seems better...but is there such a thing as too much eye relief?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Redfield. Made in the USA by Leupold
    Not sure what the eye relief distance claim is but I have one on my mini 14.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Take a hard look at a Vortex Crossfire II, great scope for the money with a fantastic warranty. They will likely be on sale soon too as there is a new version coming out this year.

You can also find Cabela's gift cards for 20% off from time-to-time to further sweeten the deal.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    So along those lines I was looking at the Bushnell trophy and banner series. I have some trophy XLT 8x32mm binocs that I love. Anyone used any of the rifle scopes? Their long eye relief of 6" 3-9x40mm is around $80-90, but then I'd need scope covers to add another $10 or so. I found a trophy XLT that is $100-110 with a claimed 4" of eye relief and it comes with butler creek flip up covers.

Thoughts? It is for mounting on a Sako .308 and I have no friggen idea how much eye relief is sufficient for an 8lbs rifle including scope with a .308 on it. Most 3-9x40mm scopes seem to be 3.3-4" of eye relief, more seems better...but is there such a thing as too much eye relief?

Yes 6" sounds a bit much. I know it's a little higher but take a look at the Nikon prostaff scopes. I've found they have some of the clearest glass for the money, and hold a zero.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    Check out Midway. They have several 3X9 scopes on sale with free shipping. When searching you can sort by discount percentage and also read the scope reviews.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Some Bushnell stuff is good, some not so much. Usually in optics you DO get what you pay for. Nikon Monarch is more $$$ than the Prostaff line, is it worth it? Only you can decide if you need the better glass and other features. I like Vortex scopes, and they have a lifetime warranty.

In a 308 as long as you hold firmly 3-4 inch eye relief is good. A heavy kicking rifle you will want more , but you can get to much eye relief and won't be able to see through the scope well and have to get a different scope.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So question, I realize only I can figure out if it'll work, but over on the Sako collectors forum, I've gotten a recommendation just to keep the 6x and that fixed power scopes have slightly wider fields of view than variable power at the same Focal length. Any truth to that? 6x just seems like it would be way too high a magnification for typical Maryland woods and that is really want a scope at 3x most of the time and on rare occasions crank it higher.

At 10 yards a good sized deer would be basically filling the scope. I know 10yds is a little closer than typical for MD, but I'd think it would be hard to track a moving deer (even slowly moving) if it was closer than 50yds with a 6x

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    For paper a fixed power scope is fine for hunting I would stay with a Variable power. 6x is way to much for around here IMO. I leave all my scopes turned down ( 2 or 3 ) power when hunting unless taking a long shot.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I own 7 Bushnell Banner scopes, I have found them to be the best bargain in scopes.

I have quite a few older Bushnell scopes, and they have held up well on 30-06 on down. They made a 4 x 12 Sportview with BDC and adjustable objective lens that I really like, I have one on 3 bolt guns, 30-06, .243 Win. & .223 Rem and one on an R-15 in .223 Rem.

:thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The most important thing to concentrate on with selecting a hunting scope is your most typical application in terms of what you can expect to encounter in most instances and most of the time. What you're most interested in I'd suggest is playing the percentages of the opportunities you're most likely to encounter. I say that because there isn't a scope made at any price point that doesn't involve compromise in some form or fashion.

Now when it comes to odds? If you are most typically hunting Maryland woods, rather than say bean fields, low magnification is your friend. Because if you haven't hunted deer enough to know, I can promise you that what you're going to encounter is many more opportunites for shots inside of 75 yards than you will ever see for shots at 150 yards or more. That's just the nature of your terrain, your quarry, and deer hunting generally in most of the wooded areas of Maryland.

Lower magnification rewards you with wider field of view. It also rewards you with better transmission of available light. Think dawn and dusk because lower light oftentimes translates to a higher probability of deer on the move. It is oftentimes a sense that you have detected movement in an otherwise still woods that will alert you, and before you have positively identified just exactly what moved. Trust your eyes. ALWAYS trust your eyes if you think something may have moved. If you THINK you saw something move, it's highly likely that you did, even if you can't immediately identify just exactly what moved. You'll find that deer oftentimes "appear" in the area of the movement you thought you detected, in ways that are almost ghostlike. Anyway, once POSITIVELY identified, finding that now previously identified deer in your scope in thick woods and low light makes light transmission and a wide field of view your very best friends. Likewise with a deer that is quickly moving.

The other thing with magnification is this. If you find an opportunity where you'd benefit from higher magnification when deer hunting? You will most typically have ample time to dial it up. The reverse is not true. But remember....the likelihood that you'll be aware of a deer's presence in the woods at 200 yards is slim and none. With the much more probable encounter at 30 yards, you don't want or need high magnification. Play the odds and keep that power low. You don't want or need your magnification set to see from here to Helsinki.

To me? 2x7 is my idea of ideal, my typical applications and probabilities and inherent compromises considered. 3x9 as a close second. Set on 2 or 3 respectively, especially if you yourself are moving. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck with your selection!

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Take a hard look at a Vortex Crossfire II, great scope for the money with a fantastic warranty. They will likely be on sale soon too as there is a new version coming out this year.

You can also find Cabela's gift cards for 20% off from time-to-time to further sweeten the deal.

I can personally vouch for Vortex' warranty. You pay shipping to their plant. They pay for the repair and return the shipping free of charge. Lifetime warranty, regardless if it was a first hand or second hand purchase. It really is a great company to buy from. I got my scope back in about a week to a week and a half from the day I shipped it to them.

NickG

Feb 2, 2016
    I have a Zeiss 4x Conquest on my deer rifle. I love everything about it. I paid $299 for it, not sure what they go for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom